SAU Community

R32 Skyline GTR - Any problems I should look for ?

:wavey: Hey guys,

I am seriously looking at buying an R32 GTR in the next few months. Always loved the car from the first time I saw it but since i have never actually been in one or know of anyone thats got one, I need to ask you guys it there are things I should have looked at before I purchase it. I am importing it so I need to tell the broker what I want checked.

And I don't plan to use it as a drag, drif or race car , but a nice fast weekender. So would it be safer to get one that is totally unmodified, except for the exhaust and suspension. Or do you think it would be safe to ask for small mods like turbo timers and after market ECU's. Do you think that cars with these mods are more likely to have been thrasd, more than unmodified ones.

One last thing.

If looked after and not raced, will the GTR be a reliable car to have, or do you think I should go the GTS-t instead. Even though I love the look and performace of the GT-R.

Thanks guys, and gals :kick:

:sadam:

Be careful, there is alot to these vehicles and you can be stung in a big way if your buyer isn't on the money. Just as a comparison my GTSt was light, efficent, responsive, cheap compared to the GTR which is a harsh car for daily driven roads.

go with the GT-R... dont take advice from sock no offnense.. apparently hes like 10 years old.. the GT-R R32 is a awsome car.. especially for one that hasnt been in a R33/34 .. and one jumping from a normal everyday car will love the R32..

Don't be in too much of a hurry - drive both cars and see which one suits your needs.

GTR will cost LOTS more to run and maintain (parts, fuel and insurance) than a GTS-T.

Acceleration wise, there isn't actually a lot of difference between stock or lightly modified examples of each. This is due to the weight diference.

You quote "and I don't plan to use it as a drag, drift or race car" - if you buy a GTR I betcha you'll be looking for race tracks and drag strips within the fist month of owning it!

Anyway - good luck with the purchase.

Just as a comparison, the GTR is a far better car.

I don't know if you're taking the piss out of my above statement or not, so I'll let it go. I have owned both.

Let us know how you go with it madcabbie!

if you want a GT-R why not buy it if you can afford it ? just as long as you can spend say 25 for a good GT-R and then insurence and fuel and service etc.. why not ? but then again if you cant just get your self a nice GTS-t ..

The insurance is only $840 because I am 35 and 65%ncb....this is the only time I am happy to be old. I think that I may have to go to the GTS-t because I think the money could be an issue. I really had my heart set on the GT-R, but i am sure with just a few mods I could get the GTS-T to go pretty hard. Then when I get the money together I mill get my dream car. And as for the comment by GAV about me looking for the drags if I bought my GR-t, well I would love to but work keeps me busy 5-6 days a week and only getting mondays and tuesdays off means no drags, plus i am out in the county...no such thing as circut racing...shame I know.

thanks for all you advice. Should I find another $10k, GT-R here I come...lol

• 3 weeks later...

After spending a month with my dream car a r32GTR, i can say that it compares absolutely in no way to a gtst. Everything i have heard about a gtr is so true. They are the most awesome car on the road. The one i am selling has wheel and suspension mods and is a beast to drive. It is a shame i have to sell it cause i have been leaving work early nearly every day cause i cant wait any longer to drive the GTR home. I have driven a gts-t and was way dissapointed. The GTR is 10 times the car a gts-t will ever be. The grip the thing has is so awesome, and getting the back wheels sliding mid way through a corner at 80kph is something i will never forget (nor will my undies).

By the time u buy a gts and do it up to get the power the gtr has, you will realise that you should have brought the gtr in the first place. If your in sydney give us a buzz and ill take you for a ride. cheers

ive been in a 12 sec GTR and the thing sounds absolutley mad!, this one is a genuine aust delivered which has apexi turbos apexi twin exhaust, and larger fmic, mind you a rebuild on one of these isn't cheap, but if you can afford the car you should be able to afford to service it. does some pretty mean nuts with the attessa fuse taken out!!

i wouldn't go so far as saying that a gtst is shit though, rb20s aren't all that hot but there are other engines about the place!

I want a ride in that, I wanted it when the owner was looking at selling that, he has obviously kept it and done a 12.05 down the 1/4. I had a GTSt and quite frankly, acceleration wise my silvia is as quick, I want a GT-R.

never compromise on what you really want.. if you can afford to buy it, do it, and just dont mod it for a while.. I got my GTR a few months ago and I wont go back its the best car I have ever been in... and I got a 15yr old one @ about $15,000... its stock cept for exhaust, filters, suspention, and oil cooler... has about 80-100,000kms... immaculate condition.. dude dont compromise as you will always regret that decition and when you finally rectify it by buying the GTR, you will have wasted HEAPS of cash that you could have save'd by making the GTR decission today..

BUY THE GTR FOOL!

:D

IF YOU WANT MORE DETAILS PM ME

Guest MFX_R33

A lot of people want a stock car as opposed to a modifed one due to the modded one being more thrashed.

You have to look at the fact that the previous owner knew they were buying a performance car, so even if they didn't modify it, they are just as likely to thrash it.

A lot of modified cars are also much better looked after, as far as servicing, etc, as opposed to stock ones that were just driven into the ground.

Just don't be fooled into thinking a stock car hasn't been thrashed.

Jeff.

GTR is the only way to go. Its not about the numbers on paper.

As far as servicing costs. I have had an R32 GTR now for 3 years, only failure has been the water pump. The brake rotors were shot when I bought it and needed replacing. Apart from that its just been usual consumables. Tyres etc.

I tell you what costs money. Idiot tuning, such as fitting a boost controller and seeing how fast the car goes at 1.3bar without addressing all the other issues.

Hey madcabbie, I'm thinking of purchasing a GTR too after my Gts-t.

There is nothing wrong with the Gts-t. I had no problem with my car and it is a pretty fast car to get around too.

But either way the GTR is faster, even if you modified a Gts-t to be as fast as a GTR, I don't think you will have the outright handling and grip of the Attessa.

I still have my Gts-t now, but keeping my eyes out for a nice, clean GTR.

Let us know how you go and what you end up getting.

Cheers