SAU Community

Snowy's R35 Targa Testing And Development

Snowman

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What tyre pressures were you running in each of the tyre choices.

I ran 36PSI on the Dunlops.

For the Toyo's I tried 3 sessions at 3 different pressures.

34PSI - 1.46.9 best

33PSI - 1.46.9

32PSI - 1.46.7

But I thought over the duration of the whole session the tyres felt the best consistently at 34.

DOUGMO - were you in the Silvia always behind us? If so apologies for the one lap I stuffed for you. I was always doing 1 full cool-down lap (rather than just 4 corners) and I know I got in your way once.

• 2 months later...

Small update since it's been a while.

We have finally got around to beginning the next series of upgrades to the car. As previously discussed we ordered the DBA updated turbo inlet pipes and have swapped them over. We can now double confirm the difference between the pipes.

421410_10150736701652564_605772563_12418758_1903137067_n.jpg

As you can see from the other picture attached there is not much fun getting to these things though. So if anyone considers upgrades I'd also consider what else you may want down the track as it will save you a lot of heart ache doing as much as possible in one go!

Amoungst other things being done to the car now are an AMS Intercooler, AMS Intercooler piping, Special AMS intake piping to the factory airbox (since we must retain it for Targa purposes), AMS upgraded AFM's (again since we can't go to the 3" system) and genuine Spec V turbo's from IHI.

We also have the HKS Transmission Cooler, HKS fuel pumps and front and rear Whiteline swaybars and end links being fitted.

I'm really looking forwards to seeing how this all transforms the car and we'll be giving it a proper Tarmac shake-down at the Mt Baw Baw sprint in a couple of weeks time.

post-5136-0-42708200-1328051673_thumb.jpg

hahaha i still have no idea how willall's guys got my Top Secret inlet pipes in the car - and they're a bit wider than the 2011 oem as well

can you give me dates for the mt baw baw sprint - is it going to be a spectator event? id like to come have a look

Edited by domino_z

Haha - I thought of you the other day mate when the boys showed me what was involved in getting to them! :)

As I mentioned before it's easier to justify when you are also doing intercoolers etc.

My only regret will be if we decide down the track we also want to do a radiator as that will also involved a major stuff around on these things (including pulling the A/C apart again).

The thing is right now the temps seem ok - but not sure how the combination of increased power and potentially restricted air flow with the AMS intercooler will have on the system. But if I'd know exactly how hard it was going to be to do I reckon I'd have just bitten the bullet and got one built and fitted at the same time. And if I wasn't doing Mt Baw Baw in a couple of weeks I'd do that now regardless (but I guess this will let us find out if it is actually required or not - it not part of a typical AMS Alpha 9 package etc but then they seem more focused on 10s of work rather than 10-20mins).

OT - but some of you Vic guys should come up to Mt Baw Baw and do the Tour (no timing with the tour but no cages etc required - just a helmet and can take a passenger). $600 (plus another $50 if you don't have a AASA license) and you get to legally blast up and down a very fun closed road for two days without fear of the cops. They are damn good fun things to do and good for a social drink afterwards.

can you give me dates for the mt baw baw sprint - is it going to be a spectator event? id like to come have a look

http://www.mountainmotorsports.com.au/

But as I just mentioned - come and do the Tour. A number of guys from here in older GT-R's are doing it and I also have a mate in a 996TT convertible doing it too.

*Edit - in the past we've also made a deal with Peter to do just one day of the tour at about half the price. He may do that again if you give him a buzz and is of more interest to someone.

Peter Washington - 0418 337 955.

Good bunch of blokes that run this.

OT - but some of you Vic guys should come up to Mt Baw Baw and do the Tour (no timing with the tour but no cages etc required - just a helmet and can take a passenger). $600 (plus another $50 if you don't have a AASA license) and you get to legally blast up and down a very fun closed road for two days without fear of the cops. They are damn good fun things to do and good for a social drink afterwards.

+1 - ive spoken to a few sau guys now offline and i def need to start browsing outside of the R35 section for these events

going to check out the link now

421199_10150751130157564_605772563_12459162_1775336748_n.jpg

All of the coolers are now fitted. The HKS DCT cooler is an exceptionable bit of kit. You can see from the pic the mounting, fittings, small washer bottle replacement etc.

As can also be seen are the new sway bars and AMS inetcooler. The intercooler itself was also a very nice fit - however some other advise for anyone looking at coolers etc - the hard pipe kit is designed only to be used with the AMS CAI as well. If you want to keep the factory airbox to keep the engine bay looking stock or whatever, the top pipe where the new BOV mount / AFM mounts are on the AMS kit don't fit without extensive modification to the pipe in their kit. They also haven't allowed for a MAF delete from the original location (as its not an issue with their CAI).

It's not a big deal to fix for any decent workshop - but it's not something your average Joe could deal with easily (aka me LOL).

So if you want to upgrade you intercooler pipes you either need to go for a full system including CAI or else it's probably easier to look at an alternate solution like the HKS one if you want to keep the airbox.

Well the car has been fully bolted back together an tuned now. I'm not a huge one for dyno numbers as they are too varying across the world - but I have attached the dyno graph more to show the power curve itself on this kind of set-up. I'm pretty wrapped and this is only at 19psi (it common to run this set-up around the 23-26psi mark in the US). It's also only on 98RON - not E85. But this is about 80kw's up on where it was previously.

I reckon this would make a killer street set-up though.

Unfortunately this car came with a built motor which has a tenancy to rattle a lot (even on a dead stock OEM factory tune) once it gets some heat into it - possibly due to it's large piston clearance (3.5 thou) hence the low boost levels. So we will run some logs over this weekend and see how it runs but I think long term a good bottom end will be required to get the max out of this set-up.

Anyways - hopefully we'll see a couple of you up on the hill this weekend.

:cheers:

post-5136-0-29801800-1328824726_thumb.jpg

So...let me get this right. You got some MY11 intake pipes, Akra exhaust (presume full system), AMS intercoler and piping with the MAF sensor, and the Spec-V IHI turbo, and on only 19PSI on 98RON you put out 441kw ATW - PHARK ME. Thats unreal :thumbsup:

Hope you have fun up Mt Baw Baw - its a great run.... not so great in wet though.