SAU Community

Show Us Your Non-Stagea

pipster11

Hi Alex,

It's a 1953 XK120 DHC. We are converting it to RHD. I believe ya mate because I too know very well there is alot of fixing. Especially due to the price range my dad buys them at :) They are such a rewarding car though that they are a pleasure to work on. Removing all the paint off the alloy bonnet and doors was just awesome. Removing the siezed door hinges and repairing was an absolute pain but a joy now that it's done. I could go on for hours on the things we have done so far just on one car. What car's did/does your dad have ?

Grew up with Rovers- P6B mainly, went through about 3 or 4 of them, then onto the honda rovers - quintet, 416, 827, and still has a 75. There was a daimler sovereign (like the 420 compact), a Mark1 Jag, nut and bolt (over 20 years...lol) resto on a MG A, MG Magnette was a bit before my memory, and finally he still has the early MGB GT, that his father bought new in England in good original condition.

He has a NA MX5 these days for the topless fun, all the joy of the MGA, without the pain.

+2 for liking the Chaser. Saw a JZX110 in Dandenong late Wednesday. Did like. Would consider buying if I didn't need/want a wagon.

Same; the boot was just too shallow for me; otherwise I'd be hitting some 1JZ action. The late model vvti single turbo 1JZ's are a much nicer thing to play with.

I still don't think the interiors are quite up to the standard of the Nissan though.

not really, i chipped my current car and its more economical and has more power............ :P

Gotta love the VAG cars for that. What chip did you get / who did it for you Iain, & what gains did they advertise for your car?

I bought the missus a A3 Tdi (125kw / 350Nm std) which I'm trying to convince her to let me upgrade the 'economy'. Most I've looked at don't get a lot more power, but some (supposedly) have as much as 77Nm gain - & that's significant considering how little effort it is to get it done.

not really, i chipped my current car and its more economical and has more power............ :P

+1 Iain; What did you end up using, and what is the end result?

Did you do any supporting mods?

Details man, DETAILS!!!

i got a 2nd hand superchips bluefin for $550. they offer a stage 1 (no supporting mods required) which does 54NMs more and 41HP. stage two can offer half again as much, but need fuel pump, dump pipe and intake. took 3 mins to reflash via a hand controller. ive done no other performance mods to the car. only HID conversion ($2.5k for HID pffft) and a fully integrated ipod interface to the satnav system.

leon, your wifes A3 if its more than 3 years old can do a remap via the consult, however all the new diesels (like andys) need to have the ECU removed and perform a bench flash.

i get boost from about 1500rpm and it wheel spins in the dry around 3k into 2nd gear. wet weather, forget about it. however this is a FWD car :( but it handles VERY well for an ass dragger. the sydney people will see it next weekend if they come to the meet

Edited by zei20l

That's a good price Iain. My preference so far is for Bluefin, but pretty pricey here in Aus. I don't know if I can buy it online from UK (running a special there atm) or if they'll insist I get it here.

And yeah, it's more than 3 yrs old so ridiculously easy way to gain some more grunt, umm, I mean better fuel economy, lol.

then you shouldnt have a problem with a reflash!

i got mine from www.vwwatercooled.org.au there is a good FS section there. i think the diesel engines have a good support forum too.

hahah sometimes economy=power. i can consistently get 10L/100km to and from work. highway, 6.5L/100km