SAU Community

Whats the best street tyres for $350-$400

MJ

I dont mind spending money on tyres or whatever is needed, i just wanna make sure i get the results (traction) i want.

Sydneykid do you recommend i get semi-slicks? i will spend the extra few $$ on them if i have to im just hoping a really high end street radial will cut it.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i havent had the rears aligned since i bought the car.

If it is out of alignment, would re-aligning it back a big enough difference to drop my 60 foot times considerably?

Hi Matt, probably easier if I answer with a real world example;

R34 GTT times, all with 260 rwkw using 17" wheels;

11.9 at 120 mph on Nitto 555's

12.4 at 114 mph on normal road tyres

11.6 at 123 mph on Goodyear drag slicks

So there really is no substitute for better tyres.

i havent had the rears aligned since i bought the car.

If it is out of alignment, would re-aligning it back a big enough difference to drop my 60 foot times considerably?

Depends on how far it is out.

1. What's the rear spring rate?

If the answer to #1 is more than 200 lbs, then that's a problem.

I'm guessing the only way to check this is to completely remove the spring and put it on some sort of jig?

Would a too soft/hard spring cause axle tramp or is that more a shocks fault thing?

thanks for your reply it has cleared up alot of things for me, I think ive decided what to do.

UAS sell nitto's at a reasonable price i might get them and then goto a suspension shop and get pineapples and get the rear alignments checked out.

And after all that if i still have problems im gonna find a new toy :)

I'm guessing the only way to check this is to completely remove the spring and put it on some sort of jig?  

Would a too soft/hard spring cause axle tramp or is that more a shocks fault thing?

Spring rate, no problems I wrote a computer program that calculates the rate.

1. I just need to know the numbers of turns of wire

2. The wire diameter

3. The inside diameter of the spring (top and bottom if it's not parallel)

4. If it is a progressive spring, then the coil spacing is required to calculate the individual steps in the progression.

Simple mathematics from then on.

Axle tramp is usually caused by too low a bump rate on shock absorbers, but a floating rear subframe can contribute.

Hope that helps

I'm currently using Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's which are incredible in all conditions. Much better than my old Bridgestone S02's. These tyres have a AA traction rating, and a pretty reasonable wear rate (mine have been abused annd holding up great) These tyre's handle as good in the wet as many other brand tyre's do in the dry! $269each 3 months ago from Beurepaires, they may now be even cheaper!

They also won Evo Magazines tyre of the year award :wavey:

Sorry Steve, it's not mine to give. Aside from that, it's not a simple formula to get the exact rate. The data inputs are easy, no of coils, wire diameter, coil inside diameter, free height and coils spacing for progressive rated coils. The real hard parts are knowing the constants for the material you are using and the derivative formula for tensile strength, wahl factor, spring. index, jounce defln, rebound defln, stress rate, jounce stress , rebound stress, ks2 jounce, ks1 rebound and ke.

There is a simpler (slightly less accurate) formula for calculating the rate (in pounds per inch) of a single rate coil spring;

11,250,000 x wire diameter4

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8 x number of active coils x coil diameter3

Hope that helps

Guest two.06l
which model azenis is that? the semi slick (rt-215) or the radial st-115 or the fk-451 ?

semi slicks are the go

ok guys im ordering a set of alloy bushes tomorrow, just incase urathene pinapples wouldnt cut it :rofl:

but still a bit undecided on tyres.....the nitto's are damn good but also wear very quickly. Plus id have to order them and get them shipped which takes time and more money.

Theres so many tyres to choose....ill enquire about the falken semi-slick rt-215's today and see how i go.

I recently got some Khumo Ecstas. They are fantastic! I used to have Falkens which I found were fine in the dry but really sloppy in the wet. The Khumo Ecsta's have a similar tread pattern to the Good Year eagle F1s that I had on my FWD. Best tires in the world! The only thing is I can't get them for my Skyline.

On the stock 225 tires I get absolutly no traction at all. With my 265s I don't really have any dramas. Except when buying tires! $850 for a pair! So not cheap!

Hey guys,

I just got 2 yokohama tyres for $350 each and i told the guy i want the best traction tyres i could get, he said these were it. So he puts them on and i drive off and i rev the car upto 2-3k and try to launch good and they just spin like my old shithouse continentals. I was not fkn happy. I tried quite a few times on different types of road and they still sucked.

So i went back asking for alternatives and he was saying unless you buy a proper semi slick tyre any other street radial will do the spin same. Im really kind of shitted off at this guy as my car only has 181rwkw and there must be heaps of people out there that can get traction with street tyres with the amount of power i got.

I dont have too much experience with tyres but in my old turbo silvia which was auto i had bridgestone grid II's and i would stall it up to 3k easily and it would just slingshot off the line, sure it didnt have as much power but it still had no problems getting off the line.

My skyline is also auto and i want to beable to do this. So i want to know what tyres should i get for $350-400 each in 235/45/17 that will fix this problem.

Thanks

Matt

I had a set of these on the rear, 235/45/17

THE stickiest tyres I have even owned, anything under 4500rpm on normal road once they were warm would stall the car

Very hard on driveline, but the best I have ever had in terms of grip-

the downside 5000km and they are useless

Mine cost me $335ea

If they bring out a harder compound I'd get them again, as I have swapped to 16x7.5" rims to save on tyre costs etc

I'm putting a set of Hankook Venus k104s (235/40/18f, 255/35/18r) on tomorrow. I was sold by the fact that they have the same traction rating (AA), same heat rating (A), and better wear rating (280 vs 220) when compared to the Michellin Pilot Sports. The best part is they're almost half the price!

I'll let you all know how they go. I dont really have much to compare them to coz the only tyres I've had on the car thus far are jap spec bridgestone 205s. My 155rwkw has no trouble spinning them thru 2nd.

MJ, my rims are 18x8 and 255 fit perfectly :uh-huh:

Hey guys

Thanks for everyone for their replys its much appreciated!!!!

yesturday i got a pair of 235/45/17 falken azenie semi slicks for $310 each and they kick ass!!! i went to willowbank last night and didnt have a problem with traction, I had consistant 2.1 60' times.

I also got a set of alloy bushes but havent had the chance to fit them yet, but with these fitted and more practise i hope to get 2.0 60' times :)

These tyres are great value for money, i hope this helps some other people