SAU Community

Whats the best street tyres for $350-$400

MJ

benm i just got the tyres the same day i went to the track so i didnt get time for practise with the best launch technique. Plus my car is auto so i cant do big clutch dumps so i was stalling it to about 2.5 - 3k then flooring it. ill get my alloy bushes fitted and practise some more and ill see how i go.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Matt, road tyres take at least 500 k's to "run in".  They give off oil and other lubricants used in their manufacture.  So they have to heat cycle a number of times to make sure the "slippery stuff" is cooked off.  When they are new the more you "smoke em up" the worse the grip gets as buckets loads of lubricants all come out at once.  So run them in.

This is spot on. I put new tyres on yesterday and decided to launch them hard right away. They were absolutely appalling so I backed off. When I got home there was a layer of oily residue around the paint work of the rear wheels, evidence that "lubricants" had come off at once. It looked very similar to when I got off the skid pan!

They guy at the tyre shop said they'll need to be "scrubbed in" for about 100-200km before they start to stick properly. I've done about 90km since and the difference is already amazing when compared to yesterday's first efforts.

You can check my new rims out by looking here :)

i thought i would bring it up as some of the monkeys in the tyre shops pump the tyres up so hard its silly, i ran speedway for ten years and found tyre pressure very importane part of tune car set up and after watch some serious dragster it seems to be true in drag racing .

i found it had a huge influnce on my gtr launching and ran a 1.7 60foot on a lighty tune r33 gtr

I want GRIP, my mate has 223rwkw and can rip it off the line and doesnt lose traction through gear changes, he had federals 255/17 i think u can at least go 245 with your 8" wheels. He now has Eagles or something just cheapo ones but seem to be ok.. i think it MAY have something to do with his full sick mechanical diff but not sure

I read up to this post made by Dent ... anyway he is talking about my car here. I have crappy 255/17 Federals on the rear and I dont loose any traction kicking it off the line at 4000 RPMs. I have a mechanical diff and I think this makes all the difference. Apart from this Dents car is better equipped suspension wise. I also think is has a lot to do with the way you launch the car, releasing the clutch and so on!

I put new tyres on yesterday and decided to launch them hard right away. They were absolutely appalling so I backed off. When I got home there was a layer of oily residue around the paint work of the rear wheels, evidence that "lubricants" had come off at once. It looked very similar to when I got off the skid pan!

I'd be keen to know what you think of the K104's once you've had them for a while.

I'm thinking of getting them on my 17's (235/45/17) next time around.

Cheers

J

Just got some RE540s (second hand) fitted to the rears - huge difference, the stiff sidewall, which is kevlar reinforced really tightens up the handling, and they stick - probably a bit too much for my liking, as I dont mind a bit of throttle steer.

Next I think I will be trying to source something similar to 540s for the front and giving trampios a bash for the rears.

made by Toyo. Grippy, wear well, but not so grippy that you cant get some power oversteer happening if you want. They are also relatively cheap compared to alot of other tyres around. 235/45/17 GUWNs are around the 200-220mark I think.

ive got pierelli pzero's 255s on my 33 gtst with 141rwkw and it will spin if you launch at like 3000rpm, of course it will spin when u do that, but other than that it loves it. hardly ever spins. vare rare to get it to chirp as its got so much grip. my wheels are 17" not sure on other placard stuff. just 17" 255's on the rear. bloody expensive tyres too, like $500 each

ive never felt better tyres in my life. they are great, well worth the money

i'm a fan of the trampios r1r's.

i've been using them for about 6 months now with a couple of trackdays, wear is fantastic, grip (wet and dry) is fantastic. with ~200rwkw and 255's on the rear i can't spin them up - though its not like i ever do 4-5-6000rpm dumps!!!

i'd like to try the azenis's next just to compare.

• 2 weeks later...