SAU Community

V36 Fuel Economy - Best 'range To Empty' Of 643Kms

Haxorz

Fuel economy  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The trip computer software in Nissans is so inaccurate I wonder why they even bothered to put it in the car.

Stupid and unreliable.

Totally agree with this. I have had times where the fuel light comes on and it shows 40km till empty. Fill it up and only put 62lt's in. One other time I let it get to zero, drove 5kms and ran out of fuel lol!

It really does seem to just guess the amount of fuel left. It may also have something to do with the 'saddle bag' style fuel tank. I don't know if anyone else has taken their fuel pump out but if you ever do, you will see what i mean. I think that the ECU just takes some sort of guesstimate based on the readings from both of the gauges, one on each side of the tank.

All i know is that the engineer who designed it should be shot.

• 2 weeks later...

Love 370gt...

Reset your historical fuel usage (same button as climate control screen) and drive like a granny for a tank or two, and then see what you get when you fill up.

Well, not wanting to appear a smartarse I thought it might be interesting to actually try this.

1/ Reset "Historical" fuel usage

2/ Reset "Trip" fuel usage

3/ Drove vewy, vewy quietly...

When I filled up - the overall (historical) usage showed 11 Kms/Litre,

- and the trip (between the dials) showed 14.4 Kms/Litre.

Now my first name isn't Albert but I can calculate that with 80 litres in a tank, this gives a theoretical range of either 880Kms or 1152Kms

When I filled up....you guessed it....Range to Empty : 665 Kms.

So I'm with alkatraz.

It is not the wascally wabbit that needs shooting!

Granny driving is not my style. According to my fuel logs (that I keep in a nice little app on my phone), best I've managed so far is 9km/L (or 11L/100km) with my average trend sitting on 6.5km/L (or 15L/100km).

We'll see how it goes when I hit the open road again for a nice long trip.

thanks for advise.

i tried to drive until the fuel indicator is at the really bottom ,i can filled up 67L .the computer shown that remaining km can go is 360km,wtf? then start driving like granny ,just a bit of time stepping on floor.

finally get 420km until it reach to the bottom line.

that is like very bad fuel consumption .maybe i didnt drive granny enough???

wondering if something wrong with the car or.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm a bit surprised by the responses (and the data) I'm reading in this thread.....for no apparent reason I decided to check the fuel consumption on my v36 SP coupe yesterday...and can advise;

A. So far I've clocked 621 kms of country highway driving, and fuel gauge still shows almost a quarter full

B. car is a stock 2008 sp model coupe, 7spd auto, standard tyre size

C. Car was driven out of Melbourne CBD, up to shepparton, echuca, etc and back into cbd

D. Weather was mild to hot...car parked in 30 plus degrees.....no idea if evaporation plays any small part in economy figures

E. driven at 110kmh the majority of the trip

F. I'll have the standard size fuel tank, whatever that is....70litres or so?

G. Fuel used was bp 98 Ron.

Some observations;

1. I note a lot of previous posters suggesting not great economy from their v36. Of the 9 cars I own, none would get this mileage (I appreciate the difference between mileage and range, will return to this). Not even the bmw 120i or my reasonably economical navara turbo diesel.

2. The fuel gauge is very accurate across the journey. Most, nearly all cars I've driven, as you get closer to empty, the rate of decline in the fuel gauge accelerates. By way of example, on a recent trip in the bmw, it said 48klms to empty. Within 2 klms of driving, it was at 34klms. Within another 2klms it was at 11klms. I babied the car into a servo less than another klm down the road, with the gauge saying empty. So on this basis, my v36 made 201klms for the first quarter according to the gauge, 203klms for the second quarter, 200klms for the third quarter, and shortly after I arrived home. At the rate of decline, which seemed almost constant throughout, I would have anticipated at least 750klms on the one tank. Which seems to be strangely contradictory to the experiences of others.

Now that I'm back in the city, I know the consumption rate will increase, but I'm still confident that I will get 700klms plus from this single tank. I'm surprised by those who think they get poor consumption......most people are disappointed by this no matter what car they drive. Reading the suggestion of a grange 300kw being comparable.....not at all. My hsv ve senator, was about 350kw at flywheel, not really much quicker than the v36, and smashed its way through a larger fuel tank. Much worse fuel economy.

I'm actually pleasantly surprised by the v36 in terms of consumption.

Now that I'm back in the city, I know the consumption rate will increase, but I'm still confident that I will get 700klms plus from this single tank.

700km!!!! Woah, what the hell?! I've owned my 2007 SP Coupe Auto for 3 years, mostly inner city driving and I ALWAYS get around 450km to a tank (maybe 500km if I do a 80km return trip out to the burbs).

I'm a mature driver and drive the car pretty normally, I'm not a hoon.

I ALWAYS use 98 RON (BP) and tyres ALWAYS pumped to 40psi.

Could all have some common problem that is causing this poor economy? ECU way out of whack? Dirty throttle body?

Does anyone know what are the common causes we can check for?

foibles said country highway driving...if I understand that correctly, it means very little stop go as compared to your inner city driving.

My average consumption is 11.8l/100kms of peak hour traffic plus city driving and some empty-ish freeway driving...

I did a 400km run with it and it took my consumption down to 9.7-10l/100kms

So I don't think theres much a problem with your car? But cleaning throttle body and stuff usually helps abit...not by alot though imo

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I figured I would chip in on my fuel economy figures since I just picked up my v36 Skyline from Brisbane and drove it back to Cairns. I managed to record most of my trip on fuelly on the link below:

https://www.fuelly.com/driver/b00stch1ld/skyline

The average economy of the trip was 8.6L/100km, and included 100km of city driving in mackay. My best was 8.1L/100km which was purely highway cruising at 95km/h to 105km/h. Most of my driving was on cruise control, A/C on. My trip computer also says on a full tank that I have anywhere between 860- 940km per tank remaining (on two different fuel ups). I believe this has been fairly accurate!

My first fill up was 72L as well and it said 40km to empty, so I guess that could have been reasonably accurate.

This car is a 2007 v36 370GT SP, the only mods are a fujitsubo axle back and 19inch BBS rims. I had fully synthetic oil put in when it was complied

Edited by bwill1572

My other car is an Evo VII. My V36 is like a Yaris compared to the VII so I am happy :)

On a serious note the V36 (3.5 twin throttle body) is remarkably good on fuel for the power/size of the vehicle, I get around 11-12l around town and driving it on its first maiden voyage from Melbourne to Adelaide I got around 8l/100

I work for a Nissan dealer and quite familiar with the VQ35, they really are a good engine on fuel considering the size of most vehicles they are fitted to, most impressive

• Like 1

I thought it may not be wise to mentioned I work for a dealer :)

In all honesty we are always as helpful as possible when it come to servicing imports but diagnosis work on the other hand we have to be very careful what we take on, simply due to the fact that we get absolutely no support from Nissan Japan when it comes to problamatic issues. We cannot contact Nissan Techline in Australia in regards to imports for any advice (we seek advice on some issues that we have not come accross before that perhaps other dealers have) which ends up burning a lot of tech time on the vehicle which ultimately needs to be recovered, thats how dealerships work, every minute counts to some degree.

When you say "tools to do so", yes we have consult III but the biggest tool we have is the support from the dealer network which is non existant when it comes to imports.

This is why some or most dealers have a blanket rule of not doin any diagnosis work on them. It sucks I know and I wish we could help everyone- if it were up to me I would happily work on any of them!

My vehicle also has the same splutter/hestitation/miss at low rpm on take off mentioned in another thread on here, its only slight and happens only once or so on any given trip after the vehicle is warmed up, I will be looking at reprogramming the cam timing ASAP and advising if things improve/dissapear, although if it doesnt work it doesnt bother me at this stage, its very minor

Edited by Eye Candy

Sweet so you would know Craig in spare parts then - he is always helpful getting us guys V35 items and was equally as helpful when I had my R34.

Unley and Lakeside Nissan are fair hopeless and fall into the 'get stuffed, you own an import' ideology.

Duncan Nissan in WA is helpful too...well only because they hired my mechanic and bought his books over. He used to own a performance shop but now works for them. He's slowly getting other technicians to mod cars now as his customers have mostly imports. Sucks that we have to pay dealer prices now. He also does as much as he can but same thing applies, when diagnosing they appear more careful in what they say. But of course he goes above and beyond for me just cause I knew him from before.

I also have the same splutter/hesitation/miss at low rpm on take off mentioned in the other thread you are talking about after a cold start but warmed up. It was two in 7 days for the first 400m I drove. I did the usual TB clean and MAF and all but nothing worked. It was mostly gone after I got my car tuned with UpRev. I changed spark plugs as well. Problem hardly exist now. Not too sure what the tuner did...I know they messed with timing big time because I was complaining about knock issues. Not too sure if that is any help to you.