SAU Community

Newb Wants To Get A Stagea, What To Look For?

Aegats

Hi All,

The time has come for me to get a car (never owned a car but plenty of motorbikes) and the Nissan Stagea caught my eye. I like the look of the M35. Looking around there seem to be quite a few on the net.

So far from viewing the topics on here I see that the car is prone to rusting under the mirrors. What else in particular to this model does one need to look at.

I'll most likely get a mechanic to look it over, so does any have any recommendations for one in the inner west Sydney?

Whats the servicing costs like on one of them? I can't do it myself as don't have a enclosed garage and not really car savvy.

The grey import status does this now create a problem getting rego done and insurance as well.

Got a few more questions but don't want to overload people on here.

Thanks for your help everyone.whistling.gif

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The rust under the door mirrors is usually a C34 thing, AFAIK. I've been lucky in that regard (or maybe I haven't looked hard enough).

If you want to buy from a dealer, I'd recommend either North Shore Prestige or, considering you'd prefer inner western Sydney, JapLink on Parramatta Rd in Haberfield. Both do compliancing so you should be able to find a quality car there.

I bought mine from Northshore, after getting an inspection by Envy Imports.

Would use Northshore again, wouldn't use Envy.

I also havent heard any issues about mirror rust, but if the car has a snow pack check for underbody rust. I notice Northshore always put pics up on their web site of the underside, which is great.

Grey import causes no issues with rego, but insurance depends. There are plenty of companies who will insure you (shannons, just cars, etc), but plenty who just dont do private imports.

Servicing is stupidly easy. Very, very simple to access the oil filter, drain plug, etc. i would do that myself if I was you. Cost you $20-$40 for a filter, depending on what you buy (Nissan, Nismo, Blitz or HKS), and then cost of oil, whatever your preference might be.

Shares a few parts with 350z or Xtrail, as well as the US Infiniti G35. You can get a lot cheap from Japan or from the US.

Great car, buy buy buy!

+7 billion for northshore for quality cars

as for the mirror rust, i have never seen an M35 with mirror rust, it appears to be an unfortunate problem for C34 owners.

M35 owners should watch out for turbo death, but this is not ALL of them. Mine is still going fine at almost 130k on the clock. i guess it comes down to how well it was looked after in japan. phycially sighting the car will determine how well it was treated. budget around the 2-3k for rebuild and installation. probably more depending on the turbo you go for. its a bitch of a job, but not impossible.

as mentioned, servicing is cheap and easy. i do oil changed in my driveway with a small ramp. piss easy.

a fantastic upgrade is a valve body for the transmission, makes it shift gears more swiftly than the stock programming.

rego is simple, insurance MAY be more difficult. id reccomend shannons - assuming you have a garage. if not, then just cars may be your best option. there is an insurance thread with all this information.

Cool will check out Northshore prestige and Japlink over the weekend.

Does any have any recomendations on who I should get to inspect the car, the usual are NRMA but being an import would prefer someone who has good knowledge of the car.

Any reviews on Prestige auto center

Review on Prestige Auto Center?

Go to Northshore or Japlink

Only real possible rust issue with M35 is with the drain holes just behind the front wheels as water can pool in there.

Mirror rust is a C34 problem.

+7 billion for northshore for quality cars

as for the mirror rust, i have never seen an M35 with mirror rust, it appears to be an unfortunate problem for C34 owners.

M35 owners should watch out for turbo death, but this is not ALL of them. Mine is still going fine at almost 130k on the clock. i guess it comes down to how well it was looked after in japan. phycially sighting the car will determine how well it was treated. budget around the 2-3k for rebuild and installation. probably more depending on the turbo you go for. its a bitch of a job, but not impossible.

as mentioned, servicing is cheap and easy. i do oil changed in my driveway with a small ramp. piss easy.

a fantastic upgrade is a valve body for the transmission, makes it shift gears more swiftly than the stock programming.

rego is simple, insurance MAY be more difficult. id reccomend shannons - assuming you have a garage. if not, then just cars may be your best option. there is an insurance thread with all this information.

So with replacing the turbo that 2-3k figure is that with a mechanic doing it for me (including labour and parts). I´m not the most mechanically minded person coupled with not having a garage makes it hard to do.

I could possibly do oil changes but living in the inner west all I have is back lane.

With Insurance will check out Just cars.

Well going to see some cars at Northshore and Japlink today and will see.

To Iamhe77 I was just asking if any one had used Prestige Auto because I saw that they have M35´s and wanted to know if anyone on here has any experience with them. Still everyone say Northshore so I´ll be going there to see what they have.

So with replacing the turbo that 2-3k figure is that with a mechanic doing it for me (including labour and parts). I´m not the most mechanically minded person coupled with not having a garage makes it hard to do.

I could possibly do oil changes but living in the inner west all I have is back lane.

With Insurance will check out Just cars.

Well going to see some cars at Northshore and Japlink today and will see.

To Iamhe77 I was just asking if any one had used Prestige Auto because I saw that they have M35´s and wanted to know if anyone on here has any experience with them. Still everyone say Northshore so I´ll be going there to see what they have.

If you bring the car to me in Sydney it's $600 cash for the work.........depending on what you have done to the turbo you can spend in between $1,250 to $1,850.

The only condition to me doing it is that it only goes to the turbo place I suggest!....yes you can go to other places to save a couple of hundred but sure a s shit I will be charging you for any extra work.....I have learnt from experience that if you spend right you pretty much end up better off!

Check sgic for insurance. Mines with them and the cheapest I could find at the highest agreed cover.

SGIC doesnt seem to be in NSW. NRMA do insure though.

I went and checked a Stagea ARX M35 at North shore presitge and liked what I saw. I´m not in a rush to but so I´ll still keep my eyes open for something. Was down at Japlink and really wasnt too impressed with the cars, looked abit dirty on the outside.

If I do go through with the car will get a mechanic to look over it. There was a small whine from the engine, sounded like the fan belt slipping. The guy there said it was just a case of tightning it. Still I´d rather hear that from some one not biased.

So any one have any ideas if the guys at MTA pre purchase are any good at checking out the car? The thing is I want to buy a car and not really want it to turn it into a moneypit. I´m all for upgrades just not fixing a lot of issues.

PM Jetwreck and see if his is still for sale. Worth a look.

When I was talking to Northshore about mine, Ben told me the cam angle sensor was faulty but he had already ordered a replacement.

Was fitted before inspection, passed fine, I flew over, picked it up, and drove it back to Adelaide. Only issue was a typo on the rego papers which Ben had fixed for me while I waited.

If he says its the belt, ask him to tighten it, then try it again. Should be happy to accomodate.

PM Jetwreck and see if his is still for sale. Worth a look.

When I was talking to Northshore about mine, Ben told me the cam angle sensor was faulty but he had already ordered a replacement.

Was fitted before inspection, passed fine, I flew over, picked it up, and drove it back to Adelaide. Only issue was a typo on the rego papers which Ben had fixed for me while I waited.

If he says its the belt, ask him to tighten it, then try it again. Should be happy to accomodate.

I did ask the guy ant Northshore about it and he said he would tighten it and I hoping when the mechanic goes to take a look at it over the next few days then all will be good.

I checked out Jetwreck´s car specs and looks good. The asking price of 18,5k non negotiable is the only killer for me.

i have to go up to north shore to collect a part, im happy to look at any car you might be interested in while im there

Thanks for the offer zie20I. I´ve been there and already had a look at the cars but never hurts to have a second pair of eyes check it out especially one that knows more about the cars than me. PM incoming.

New belts are about $50. nothing silly. Repco has em. Not a deal breaker is what I'm trying to say.

If its bearings on components then you'd want to start thinking some more.

But still, Northshore is widely regarded as being a cut above the rest.

New belts are about $50. nothing silly. Repco has em. Not a deal breaker is what I'm trying to say.

If its bearings on components then you'd want to start thinking some more.

But still, Northshore is widely regarded as being a cut above the rest.

Yeah thats what I´m worried about if its a bigger issue than just a slipping fan belt. How does one differentiate if its a slipping fan belt or a deeper problem?

Yup northshore all the way. They also good with after service care.

U afte onlyr arx or rs/rx also options?

Nah I´m open to all M35s. The ARX just looks pretty good. Everyone on here seems to have good things to say about Northshore, good to hear. The silver ones look particularly good.

Make sure its not the turbo making the noises, is it only under power or can you hear it at idle?

From memory the time I picked the sound up was when I had just started moving, started the car and was talking to the guy then a few seconds later after leaving the drive way is when I picked it up. So car was just above idle but not really moving fast maybe about 1500rpm or so

Drove the car to about 3500rpm and it sounded good, didnt really hear the noise any more.