SAU Community

R32 Gtst Running Rich

Hey guys i have a 89 R32, the car is running rich, i waste soooo much money on fuel, can smell petrol when i drive and on occasion get backfiring issues. Its not heavily modded, it has 3 inch cat back, gutted cat, running 15psi and has splitfires and new plugs. The car was horrible before i put the splitfires in, i had zero accelloration and the car would backfire faster rather than increase speed. splitfires have given me better millage and much better performance but the car is still running rich as with the same problems but scaled down a bit now.

Can anyone please suggest why the car is running rich thanks guys.

Nope. There is a tuned map, then there is the 02 feedback in low load area's to help with the fuel economy but this only works if the sensor is relaying the correct info back to the ecu,

If the sensor tells the ecu its running lean (due to a bad sensor) then the ecu will richen the mixture up giving it worse economy.

Where as if the sensor is not giving feedback the ecu will use the tuned map which is better than bad feedback from a dud sensor

hey guys so ive dissconnected the o2 sensor now, haven't noticed a change yet as i only took it for a fang around the block, would i be able to diagnose if my afm and o2 sensor work correctly by taking to them with a multimeter ??

Hey guys i have a 89 R32, the car is running rich, i waste soooo much money on fuel, can smell petrol when i drive and on occasion get backfiring issues. Its not heavily modded, it has 3 inch cat back, gutted cat, running 15psi and has splitfires and new plugs. The car was horrible before i put the splitfires in, i had zero accelloration and the car would backfire faster rather than increase speed. splitfires have given me better millage and much better performance but the car is still running rich as with the same problems but scaled down a bit now.

Can anyone please suggest why the car is running rich thanks guys.

sounds like your cooling temp sensor for sure, check that also when u do it clean ur o2 and afm sensor, but its sounds like a cooling temp sensor, my 33 has done two in 4 months

well i did a oil seal on my turbo , after putting the new one on cleaning all the oil out of my intake pipes, i cleaned the amf sensor, and soon as i went around the corner and hit boost the the car started spittin black smoke and runnign rough, I cheacked all sensors and borrowed a few off a mate, every sensor was great, i didnt check the cooling temp sensor, so i did research asked about , if the cars cold and i drive it and let idle idles great until car warms up. ( only take 30 seconds if that ) any ways i took the punt and yes it was the cooling temp sensor, the cooling temp sensor reads the car engine temp, any ways when they are f**ked they read a nutral degree ( zero) and as ypu wopuld all know a car engine is a lot hotter lol, so they cts is telling the computer to pump fuel in to make it combust to make the engine warmer,