SAU Community

Just Bought New Wheels

Ruxis

Just bought some wheels, wondering if I should use some kind of protective film for easier cleaning?

Possibly silicon spray?

Silicone spray will only attract dirt/road grime even more. I wouldnt bother putting anything on them just keep them clean regularly instead of backing on the grime by leaving them too long

here they are.

XXR 552s from the states. (aka Taiwan)

i know there not the greatest racing wheels in the world but i like to keep my things in good condition.

idk if i will use anything yet, just getting an idea.

thanks for that link, does anyone else use anything???

post-76362-0-42345900-1320740025_thumb.jpg

Put tyres on wheels

put wheels on car

take photos

show internets

Profit?

They look like an easy wheel to clean, I don't think you'll get any build up on them even if you didn't wash the car for a month lawl.

hey buddy,

two ways of keeping wheels clean

one is as mentioned, apply some kind of sealant on them - and when washing your car, get an old or cheap wash mitt and wash the wheels with normal car shampoo

or you can use a good wheel cleaner (I highly recommend FI PWC) and a soft bristle brush every wash or two depending on how much brake dust you get

I generally only do mine once a month, my wheels are a dark colour :P

as a note, do not use wheel cleaner on sealed wheels, this will remove the sealant on them!

sealing them will make brake dust come off very easily each time you wash :)

my personal preference is to clean them to perfection then seal them :)

and yes, those are nice wheels to clean! mine have 10 thin spokes = pain.

Also consider: Final Inspection SEAL Strong

or just check out waxit - tons of sealants there, just find one that suits your budget :)

all the best

oh and dont forget applicator pads to apply and a cheap wash mitt to maintain it :) .. and a cheap MF to remove the sealant

maybe 2 MF's depending on the product

Wow. No offence to anyone personally but i seriously think people way overstock there detailing supplies with so many unnecessary products!

Ive kept my wheels crystal for years by simply washing rinsing an wiping dry every time i wash the car. And the occasional autosol dish polish on bare metal wheels i have owned

Edited by 89 GTS-4

Wow. No offence to anyone personally but i seriously think people way overstock there detailing supplies with so many unnecessary products!

I have kept my wheels clean over the years by simply washing rinsing and wiping dry every time i wash the car. And the occasional autosol dish polish on bare metal wheels i have owned.

Edited by 89 GTS-4

too many products ...? 373796_10150438980364884_630639883_10492216_1994195447_n.jpg

LOL no offence taken mate - I have a slight case of OCD.

top shelf = products to get the car ready for the good stuff - washes, polishes, degreasers, GPC etc etc

mid shelf = all products for that final touch - interior trim stuff, waxes, sealants

lower shelf = all cloths - i would estimate over 100, all different in brand/quality depending on what area of the car they are for and what kind of car they are for and seperately labelled so that no contamination can occur

+2 more boxes of products that are rarely used - but can be quite useful at times

oh and my pads and Bosch GEX150T arent on display there :P

and a shipment of at least 5 new products and perhaps another 10 cloths/applicator pads is also coming in

its such a shame :( most of my older products which work decently end up going into the boxes as they are never used anymore, i keep finding newer and better products to use

• 2 weeks later...

Ruxis - I found a product called "Glass Coating" - some kind of silica dioxide (? maybe) in liquid form that, when dry, forms (literally) a glass like coating.

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/sensya/571291/

Not sure if they have anything similar in Oz, but just thought I'd mention it, as it really has made cleaning my wheels - RE30s as well as stock - so much easier. Dust and dirt still collect, but the wheels feel like they have a slick coating on them that just doesn't wear off... and so I never have to resort to any harsh cleaners/chemicals, just regular car wash (and sometimes, just a jet spray of water) and sponge are enough to do the trick.

http://www.r33gt-r.com/2009/08/new-wheels-at-last.html here is how I applied it.

HTH

Aki

too many products ...? 373796_10150438980364884_630639883_10492216_1994195447_n.jpg

DSCN0577.jpg

Never too much mate......................And this is "personal" cleaning / touching up stuff just for my car :spank: LOL !!

With half my microfibres and waffle weaves in the wash !! Not to mention it does not include two buckets and three sponges and one tyre brush !!

Edited by jez NF

Should I post mine?

5x Swissvax Waxes

10x other waxs

heaps of bulk stuff

3 polishers

over 300 microfibres

brushes

and probs more than 60 bottles of products lol

PS Jez get that DAMN Armorall and turtle wax out of there!

hahahaa.....mitchy

yeah yeah man....my cars still holding up on your clean hey....job EXCELLENTLY - LY LY LY done :thanks::worship:

its also been off the road for 6 odd weeks...bit the bullet n went bigger turbo etc ;) check the build thread..."the evolution of night fury" - dyno sheets tmrw :) :)