SAU Community

Drs In Formula 1

Kozeyekan

Was DRS good for F1  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

OK everyone, I'm writing an article for an international F1 site about DRS.

What I'd like to know from you guys is if you thought it was a good or bad innovation, and why?

Bear in mind that DRS at Shanghai made it a fantastic race, but at Yas Marina the double DRS zone meant that When Webber overtook Button on the first zone, Button just overtook him on the second one.

If you have any ideas to make DRS better, I'd like to hear them too.

Personally, I actually like DRS. A couple of years ago we all saw the difficulty cars had in overtaking each other due to the "dirty air" of the car ahead.

Anyway, I'd just like to know what everyone thinks.

Thanks

-Josh

Look I understand the need for DRS, it was getting to the point where watching F1 was becoming frustrating. So many times during the year, a weekend had the potential to be a good race but it panned out to shit and I felt personally cheated.

I think when the turbo era comes in, a push to pass /KERS solution will be more than adequate to generate enough overtaking and DRS will become obsolete.

Moving slightly away from aero grip into mechanical grip will also be a step in the right direction, allowing cars to follow much closer in out of corners potentially changing some of the most boring tracks like Hungary into corner-after-corner battles.

The thing that irritates me the most is that the FIA completely changed the regulations a few years back to generate move overtaking, but in the process turning the cars into these nose heavy, ugly shadows of themselves. But has it hasnt. So does that mean we can have the old good looking cars back if theres no difference?

Summary, I suppose Im not for or against it, its more like a necessary evil to allow the cars to race under current regulations and to that extent, im okay with it for now. But I tell you, Id give a nut to get them to look half as good as they did in 05

Edited by ctjet

I’d give a nut to get them to look half as good as they did in ‘05

Agreed.

Does anyone think that the problem is DRS itself, or the DRS zones?

Would it be better to have DRS available whenever the driver was brave enough to use it, as per qualifying, thus putting the burden of skill back on the driver, or is DRS so flawed that it needs to go?

Keep in mind that the DRS is really just an extension of the F-duct innovation from last year. Would we rather see that refined?

I freely admit that the closest I've gotten to using DRS is playing F1 2011 on PS3, but that feature made it a load of fun. Of course, I wasn't too worried about the moveable wing coming loose and decapitating a driver, so it's probably not a true comparison.

Oh, and the "It's gay" comments aren't much help. Why do you think that DRS may, in fact, be homosexual in nature? I did read that it may be a feature on mardi-gras floats in Sydney next year, but thought that it was just supporting alternative lifestyles (Although it does concern me that they may have a different meaning of "Blown rear diffuser").

You still need skill to get the most out of it (well I dont drive a Formula 1 car but these are my assumptions)

Put it on to early and lose the tail.

Put it on to late and you dont get the full benefit

Everyone has it, its no different to any other aspect of an F1. The team that has a better designed DRS system, will get more benefit. I think its a step in the right direction. At least they are trying new things I guess. Better then the movable front wings they had last year, barely even noticed it was there.

If DRS was used like the F-duct was (everywhere on the track, leading or following), it would be 1000% better. All it does it give a free pass to the following car. Towards the end of the season you saw the leading drivers didn't put up a fight most of the time.

Passing is not meant to be easy, IMO the whole push to pass concept is crap. If the cars weren't tied down to such tight rules, the cars would have different strengths and weaknesses, and that will give more overtaking.

If DRS was used like the F-duct was (everywhere on the track, leading or following), it would be 1000% better. All it does it give a free pass to the following car. Towards the end of the season you saw the leading drivers didn't put up a fight most of the time.

Passing is not meant to be easy, IMO the whole push to pass concept is crap. If the cars weren't tied down to such tight rules, the cars would have different strengths and weaknesses, and that will give more overtaking.

the problem is that in the case of f1 cars, they rely so much on aero that a car can be catching the car in front by relatively large amounts of time each lap, but then when they get within half a second or so they suddenly can't do a thing because they are in the dirty air. half the time they have trouble just getting close enough to even try and make a pass.

Completely agree... but would be deemed "un-safe".

Completely agree... but would be deemed "un-safe".

Would it though?

They can do this in Qualifying, so the only reasoning I can imagine is that it would allow the leading driver the use of DRS to avoid being passed, much like KERS is used now.

However, the real skill with DRS would be knowing when NOT to use it. It would put the onus back on the drivers to get it right.

Drivers push in quali at least as hard as they do in the race, though tyre wear and fuel loads would make losing control more likely, the primary part of a successful car would then be the driver.

Not that drivers don't have enough to do already, with the modern F1 wheel looking more like a NASA control desk than a simple three spoke of yesteryear, but maybe removing that crap and allowing the drivers to race their car could be a benefit? Piss off the different engine settings, just give them a brake bias, roll bar adjustments and a DRS button on the right and a KERS on the left, with the pitlane speed limit automatically engaged by KERS once it enters pit lane.

Thoughts anyone?

Who ever thought of making zones where it can be used played too many arcade racing games.

It's a stupid idea for what has become a stupid form of motorsport.

May as well just go full mario cart and give them oil slicks and homing missiles too....

Ive been saying "more tyre, less aero" for years when ever i end up talking to someone about F1, I should update to "more tyre, less bullshit"

Would it though?

Yeah, I reckon it would... considering changes made to the tracks, let alone the cars to make them "safe", no chance (or a very, very slim chance) that DRS to be activated anyway is deemed safe.

Would put a lot more emphasis on the drivers skill though. Can you imagine Kobayashi allowed to use DRS anywhere? I'd pay to watch that :)

Who ever thought of making zones where it can be used played too many arcade racing games.

It's a stupid idea for what has become a stupid form of motorsport.

May as well just go full mario cart and give them oil slicks and homing missiles too....

Ive been saying "more tyre, less aero" for years when ever i end up talking to someone about F1, I should update to "more tyre, less bullshit"

Well Bernie did mention they were looking at short-cuts that can be used a certain number of times each race a year or so ago...

If we had no DRS it would be as boring as batshit again! .....imo!

I do however agree with Zebra....take all downforce off then you will separate the Rick Kelly's....sorry girls from the men!

I only really watch F1 for Webber anyway.....I like seeing that someone else is as retarded off the start line as me and then has to chase to make up time again!....keeps it exciting when you give the guy in front a ten second head start every race.

P.S. Maybe they should only give Webber the DRS! :P

Edited by Jetwreck

If we had no DRS it would be as boring as batshit again! .....imo!

I do however agree with Zebra....take all downforce off then you will separate the Rick Kelly's....sorry girls from the men!

I only really watch F1 for Webber anyway.....I like seeing that someone else is as retarded off the start line as me and then has to chase to make up time again!....keeps it exciting when you give the guy in front a ten second head start every race.

P.S. Maybe they should only give Webber the DRS! :P

baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahaha, so true

i have a small chance of meeting mark webber tomorrow if i want to. he is in noosa (where i work) at the moment and will be doing some of the group road cycling rides. but i'm too lazy to get up at 4:30 to get down there in time for the ride, and i'm sure there will be plenty of other posers/star spotters getting in the way and causing crashes

• 1 month later...