SAU Community

How Does Nistune Work?

riley

everyone is telling me to get a nistune done on my 33, i know that its a computer upgrade to your standard ecu, and it unlocks more potential. what potential is that? do i need to change engine components or will it run on a stock standard engine? and most importantly is it a plug and play or do i need to take the car to a dyno to have it tuned like i would for an aftermarket ecu? any info would help. oh and how much does it cost to get done?

It's a piggyback board that is put onto your standard ecu, It's fully tunable and yes you will need to go to a dyno to get it done. Most places will charge around the $600 for an initial tune. Yes it will run on a stock standard engine.

start here -> www.nistune.com

been there just alot of electrical mumbo jumbo that i didnt understand lol thats why i came here to see if someone could explain it in english lol

It's a piggyback board that is put onto your standard ecu, It's fully tunable and yes you will need to go to a dyno to get it done. Most places will charge around the $600 for an initial tune. Yes it will run on a stock standard engine.

cheers thanks for that.

My question is, why do you feel you need to change to a programmable computer? Are chasing more power?

But yes, NIStune all the way as far as i'm concerned if you dont need all the extra features of an ECU such as a Haltech, Link, Microtech, Megasquirt etc.

WARNING.

You cannot put a Nistune board into your R33 ECU. If you want to Nistune your car, you will need to get either an R32 ECU or a Z32 ECU and do that. There are differences between them. The R32 does not control your inlet cam. You will need to get a window switch of some sort to re-enable VTC on the inlet cam if you use one. The Z32 ECU, on the other hand, does control VTC, so makes that easier, but there are some other hassles with using a Z32 ECU on a 25. Your best bet is to google and read up the very many threads on this and other forums on these topics.

The main reason to put Nistune onto an R33 is to allow you to turn the boost up to 12psi (about the limit for standard turbo) and then tune out all the extra fuel that the standard tune puts in at that sort of inlet flow, and also to wind some timing back into it. The stock tune is horribly conservative. You will make more power and use less fuel.

Oh, the other reason to go Nistune over any other programmable ECU option is that to pretty much any cop it looks just like a factory ECU and they would actually have to open the ECU up and look inside to see that it has been modified. Pretty close to the only defect free ECU option available.

WARNING.

You cannot put a Nistune board into your R33 ECU. If you want to Nistune your car, you will need to get either an R32 ECU or a Z32 ECU and do that. There are differences between them. The R32 does not control your inlet cam. You will need to get a window switch of some sort to re-enable VTC on the inlet cam if you use one. The Z32 ECU, on the other hand, does control VTC, so makes that easier, but there are some other hassles with using a Z32 ECU on a 25. Your best bet is to google and read up the very many threads on this and other forums on these topics.

The main reason to put Nistune onto an R33 is to allow you to turn the boost up to 12psi (about the limit for standard turbo) and then tune out all the extra fuel that the standard tune puts in at that sort of inlet flow, and also to wind some timing back into it. The stock tune is horribly conservative. You will make more power and use less fuel.

Oh, the other reason to go Nistune over any other programmable ECU option is that to pretty much any cop it looks just like a factory ECU and they would actually have to open the ECU up and look inside to see that it has been modified. Pretty close to the only defect free ECU option available.

that was exremely usefull thank u. ya i am chasing more power, but from what ive been told my standard ecu is shitting itself. im replacing the engine as the engine has lost compression, and my friend is buying it off me. the problem then lies that if i put a new engine in, the ecu is going to give me shit. its overfueling on standard boost and at 12psi, im regestering all 12psi so there is no boost leak but it feels like im not hitting boost at all, it drives normally, no noises or missfires. but put on a dyno it has 140rwhp. so ive lost about 60-80hp somewhere. i thought it was compression (140psi wet) pritty much even. i know its low but everyone said i still shouldnt lose that much power, as well some one on here told me that the factory computer is set to over fuel itself when dickheads just up the boost without considering the AFR. and aparantly they tend to shit themselves or that specific part of the fuel map. i dont really know im still trying to learn.

Yeh most plug in ECUs can use the stock cover these days. Can do the same with VIPEC, adaptronic etc.

I wouldn't go NIStune with an R33. Personal opinion. As has been said, go read some of the threads about all your choices, there's a gold mine of info here.

• 3 weeks later...

What do you guys consider an acceptable quote from a business to supply the nistune chip, mod a z32 ecu to support the nistune and then install and tune for an r33 gtst?

Im guessing i would have to supply the z32 ecu so exclude that from the cost...