SAU Community

Operation Kilowatts

Aleckr33

What an embarrassing law system. What if the cop just went down to the tracks and waited outside for all the cars that come out on the road and not trailers, write and report their plates. I recall reading that even neighbours can snitch out loud cars to the police and the same shit happens. What if someone just snitched out every single import car they saw on the road.

That is like accusing EVERYONE in this country of murder until they prove them selves innocent, pay for a lawyer, pay for court fees, waste their own time and money.

Its a crock of dick shit.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mate, this happened to me.

I called up the manager of the Penrith EPA station and abused the crap out of him. This is guilty until proven innocent behaviour...the expected me to take a day off work, pay the test fee to clear the car.

The guy said they cannot enforce the law/regulation to the Police, it is up to them to enforce it however they see fit, so basically a blank cheque. He also said the cops are advised to book cars that are loud and not 'look/appear' loud but clearly that doesn't mean anything here.

All revenue-raising/keep RTA employees in a job imo.

Problem is they are not saying it IS defective.

Just that they THINK it is, and you are required to go for a test... Which you have to pay for ($30 down here).

I do know however that you can find out who the Officer was that reported you, via Freedom of Information laws.

You could then potentially chase them legally if they falsely reported you. Would take one person to see it through, set a precedent and then BAM - win for everyone moving forward.

But it wouldn't be a simple case i would imagine given the way the law and letter are worded.

I did have a chat to a lawyer (mate of mine) about it when i went through EPA hell down here for a few years and feeling was there could be something in it, but again - time/money etc.

True, and I agree. The only way something's going to happen is if there is a 'class action' style case where a large number of people start taking action. The only thing is the Courts will most likely be in favor of the Police hanks to the bad press.

Just like how the govt. is constantly lowering the speed limits, yet not too long ago added an extra demerit point....sure it helps curb the amount of drivers losing their license, what they don't say is how it also keeps more drivers on the road to be fined etc etc. 'Preserving the goldmine' so to speak.

If there ever happens to be a class action, count me in.

Can anyone confirm the RPM used for the EPA/Sound?noise level test?

It would be good to get this from someone that has been tested recently - not Ive heard or I think... the actual RPM tested.

There is an EPA handbook - from 1992

RB26 is 5100rpm

RB25 is 4900rpm (or 4700rpm)

RB20 is 4700rpm (or 4500rpm)

Not sure of the RB30. I've put the brackets as I cannot recall those figures.

You could call up a EPA tester, or the EPA themselves. They will tell you if you give them the car model, and the engine type as it's all in a book.

RB26 is 5100rpm

Not sure of the RB30. I've put the brackets as I cannot recall those figures.

You could call up a EPA tester, or the EPA themselves. They will tell you if you give them the car model, and the engine type as it's all in a book.

Then they ask for your rego number and send you out an EPA notice.

RB26 is 5100rpm

These all seem very high...and from 20 years ago...I'll call the EPA tomorrow and see if its all still the same.

1st gear @ 5100 in an RB26 and your over a 50km/h speed limit - all inner city roads in Sydney are 40-50km/h...this seems ridiculous.

Most cars will be getting close to or over a 50km/h speed limit at these RPMs. How are they able to justify a noise issue which I am guessing is related to car noise in inner city suburbs when if your revving this hard your already breaking the speed limit...

You all know what happens when you grab 2nd @ 5100 too...well over a 50km/h speed limit...

Madness it make no practical sense to test at these high RPMs - any lawyers out there...

Maybe their regulations are based on the capabilities of the car and not road rules. Sure it might not make sense but they would probably just throw it back in your face saying 5100rpm 2nd gear on the freeway is about 80km/h. They also test the car only in idle. I am pretty sure the car makes more noise on load.

We can't look for little loop holes, as they will get shut when they are found. We need rules changed or altered.

Like someone said before, if Holden are having showroom cars which are too loud out of manufacturer, doesn't that tell you something about their shit old laws? I live near a main road, 2km away and you can still hear those trucks use their compression brakes, stopping, and then accelerating. You can't govern the rules unfairly. The road is there to share, then lets share the same rules. Pollution is one thing, noise is another. Everything makes noise. Regulate the pollution as that will do more harm. My neighbours make more noise, as people, than my car does. Dogs make more noise. Lawn mowers make more noise. The f**king garbage man at 5am makes more noise. Yet people only care about that skyline coming down the road.

I hate posting in this thread, makes me frustrated and I can't post straight lol.

Maybe their regulations are based on the capabilities of the car and not road rules. Sure it might not make sense but they would probably just throw it back in your face saying 5100rpm 2nd gear on the freeway is about 80km/h. They also test the car only in idle. I am pretty sure the car makes more noise on load.

I think they test an RB26 @ 5100 not idle (900-1000)

These all seem very high...and from 20 years ago...I'll call the EPA tomorrow and see if its all still the same.

1st gear @ 5100 in an RB26 and your over a 50km/h speed limit - all inner city roads in Sydney are 40-50km/h...this seems ridiculous.

Most cars will be getting close to or over a 50km/h speed limit at these RPMs. How are they able to justify a noise issue which I am guessing is related to car noise in inner city suburbs when if your revving this hard your already breaking the speed limit...

You all know what happens when you grab 2nd @ 5100 too...well over a 50km/h speed limit...

Madness it make no practical sense to test at these high RPMs - any lawyers out there...

Yep they are rather high, but it's a derivative based on RPM etc.

And also remember it's not under load. So if you are pulling 90dB free-revving, it'll be WELL over 100dB under load. Hence it "seems" ridiculous, but then you actually think about it, it's kinda not.

Not saying i agree with the rules, just understand why they are there.

The RPM points are still the same, i had a EPA test here a couple months ago.

I think they test an RB26 @ 5100 not idle (900-1000)

Maybe he meant neutral.

I got tested at 4900 rpm, rb25 na, came in 1 db underlimit, flange mods ofcourse, otherwise would of been about 100+ db. My letter just came in the mail saying someone suspected my car was to loud and a list of places I could go get tested, guy at Granville was a tosser aswell, he couldent get me on the noise so he failed me not having the silencer welded into the tip, even though It's a one peice to begin with, got local mufflers place to weld it over, they were shocked.

Edited by sydking

Oh well with the amount of time im sure he will spends overseas i doubt he would get much opportunity to drive it now that the Aus open is finished. May as well sell it now and start saving for his supercar for next year i guess.

• 5 months later...

i ended up getting pulled over for a random breath test at bondi 2 saturday nights ago, was just crusing at 40km/h and out of know where a copper jumps infront and flashes his lights

he gives me a breath test, then he keeps my license and tells me to follow him for a vehicle inspecion

followed him to bondi primary school, their was about 20 cars there, EPA was there and about 40 coppers just standing around talking :/ also ACA....which was on tv monday night lol thankgod my car wasnt shown...

long story short, they got me for excessive noise (10db over limit) and yes test was done at 5100rpm which is way too high i rekon

and also for pods not covered

put my stock cat and factory cat back on and went to campbelltown on tuesday to clear my exhaust, i failed as it registered 96db...with the stock exhaust !!!

dunno how this can be but im about to take the exhaust to a shop to get a big muffler put in