SAU Community

Inline Bov

chris_82

I came across these on good ol ebay recently, just wanted to see if anyone has used one before or get opinions or to be more to the point, see if there crap. im not planning on putting one on my 33 but maybe another 4cyl turbo in the near future.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OBX-BILLET-INLINE-BLOW-OFF-VALVE-BOV-2-5-PIPING-Black-/180807013295?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a18f013af#ht_1649wt_1163

True, i had a turbosmart bov that was grub screwed, it never leaked, from what ive read on these, they cant be used with a maf sensor cause the valve comes open on idle then as soon as theres any drop in vacuum the valve shuts, sounds like no one has used one before ?

Heres one in action.

Wtf, it opens on vacuum? Won't that cause unfiltered air to get into the engine? The fact that it opens on idle isn't a problem in a maf setup, you can run your maf in your intake pipe and have this infront of that. The main issue I would be concerned about is shit getting in there. Off boost is fine as air will be gushing out and it will snap shut as soon as its vented, but opening on idle?

Edit: I'm confused as to how this works. Vacuum line goes in the back. When there is alot of vacuum the unit pulls it self back to release boost. When it is on boost, the vacuum line feeds the pressure to the back of the ring valve thing to keep it shut. Won't the springs keep it shut while you are just cruising around? If it didn't cost so much, I would buy one to tinker with and have a fiddle with to see how it works. Its pretty stealthy. You can fit it in line in your cooler piping anywhere in your front bar.

Edited by SargeRX8

In regards to the bov open on idle....just thought I would throw something out there, could be completely wrong..... but from memory, someone on here yonks ago was talking about most bovs not working the way they should.

they said bovs should leak a bit on idle and what that does is encourage the turbo to start spooling earlier as it is trying to makeup for the lost vaccum? when it starts boosting it holds shut until full boost etc and then release.... but that was with a traditional bov and I cannot remember if people agreed or disagreed...

is an interesting design though, I like the stealth applications you could use it fo, whether or not its effective though..

In regards to the bov open on idle....just thought I would throw something out there, could be completely wrong..... but from memory, someone on here yonks ago was talking about most bovs not working the way they should.

they said bovs should leak a bit on idle and what that does is encourage the turbo to start spooling earlier as it is trying to makeup for the lost vaccum? when it starts boosting it holds shut until full boost etc and then release.... but that was with a traditional bov and I cannot remember if people agreed or disagreed...

is an interesting design though, I like the stealth applications you could use it fo, whether or not its effective though..

I think this is true only with the standard BOV which is open all the time off boost. Problem is you will have unmetered air being sucked into the engine or lost which will both cause a car with an AFM to run like dick.

What is wrong the stock one?

This has all the same problems as an aftermarket venting to atmosphere bov and no advantages of the stock one. Bin it.

This is for people who want an aftermarket BOV which vents to atmosphere, running a MAP setup, to hide this thing somewhere in the front bar so that it can't be seen and still have the stock BOV in place, plumbed in place but doing nothing.

Its not for many, but the idea is interesting. They should build a wastegate which works the same way in the exhaust. Then again, anything attached to the exhaust always looks sus.

or just just the stock bov with a MAP, I don't know why people have a hard on for removing the stock one, it works great.

Using something similar on the exhaust for a wastegate would be interesting but you'd need to shield it, otherwise you'd just have a hardcore exhaust leak in the engine bay cooking everything and if you shielded it you'd have to seal half it off so it wouldn't be as effective.

Edited by Rolls

Design a longer unit with longer ports which you can face towards the ground, but yeah you probably don't want raw exhaust flowing in your engine bay haha.

This thing gives the atmo sound some people like so I guess its stealthy plus noisy, even though I do get a pssh from my stock BOV with a pod.