SAU Community

Castrol Edge 5W-40 Titanium

AzN

That oil is a full synthetic and it should be fine to use for engine protection.

The main point that has been emphasised with performance turbo cars is...

a) to change the oil frequently eg every 5,000Km

b) change even more frequently if the car is tracked eg every 2,500Km

c) try to use the same oil for top-ups

d) watch oil temp gauge each time you're out pushing that car

I've never used that oil because I'm totally happy with the one I have; and have used on every GT-R.

• Like 1

That oil is a full synthetic and it should be fine to use for engine protection.

The main point that has been emphasised with performance turbo cars is...

a) to change the oil frequently eg every 5,000Km

b) change even more frequently if the car is tracked eg every 2,500Km

c) try to use the same oil for top-ups

d) watch oil temp gauge each time you're out pushing that car

I've never used that oil because I'm totally happy with the one I have; and have used on every GT-R.

what oils are you using? Im sure ive read it plenty of times in the Oil thread, Just cbf going trhough it again.

Lol at the marketing...

Quote:

Fluid strength test - measuring metal to metal contact within your engine

The test took place in one of the toughest areas of the engine where the Camshaft lobes and valve gear travel at incredible speeds

Here the oil must withstand over 10,000kg of pressure per square centimetre

We showed Castrol EDGE is up to 40% stronger* at reducing metal to metal contact compared to a leading competitor.

So what does this mean for you as a driver? Less friction, increased efficiency and enhanced driving performance.

*In a test of the oil’s strength across a variety of engine speeds, the Castrol EDGE range average metal to metal contact is 40% lower than a leading competitor.

^We asked a third party laboratory to test the Castrol EDGE range using our Maximum Endurance Test and on this test Castrol EDGE was proven to be on average 35% stronger for longer compared to a competitor brand from another major lubricant supplier.

At least its an SN oil, should be good for those of us on ethanol.

what oils are you using? Im sure ive read it plenty of times in the Oil thread, Just cbf going trhough it again.

Same as on one or both of the Z-Tunes that came to Oz...

Elf Excellium 5W-40

Same as on one or both of the Z-Tunes that came to Oz...

Elf Excellium 5W-40

What you may want to do is contact the distributor of Elf and buy direct from them. This is what myself and a couple of other guys here do. It works out pretty cheap.

You can get

6x4L bottles for roughly $11.30/L delivered

or

3x5L bottles for roughly $11.45/L delivered

taken from another fourm... Sounds good to me

i notice in my car with elf 5w40 excellium, the oil pressure readings vary quite alot.

oil pressure was more stable when i use mobil 1 0w40

might just be a one off with my car but its enough for me not to use it anymore.

I always thought Castrol was the bees neez but after doing some oil research on the oil topic here and going to an independent oil tester ive found out that castrol is just a marketing gimmick. You can get much better QUALITY oils for the same price.

BP used to make some of the worlds best oils, now they dont, t they have brought Castrol instead, poured millions into marketing without a care for the product. Ive used it for a few years and its ok but I dont think I would buy it again. Not now that its price is very similar to the leading brands.

Also its fully synthetic..... Fully Synthetic and 100% Synthetic are two different things. "Fully Synthetic" is again a marketing ploy...

Theres 125 pages in "The Goods In Oils" topic LOL alot of it is junk but there are some valid points made and some very useful information.

I always thought Castrol was the bees neez but after doing some oil research on the oil topic here and going to an independent oil tester ive found out that castrol is just a marketing gimmick. You can get much better QUALITY oils for the same price.

BP used to make some of the worlds best oils, now they dont, t they have brought Castrol instead, poured millions into marketing without a care for the product. Ive used it for a few years and its ok but I dont think I would buy it again. Not now that its price is very similar to the leading brands.

Also its fully synthetic..... Fully Synthetic and 100% Synthetic are two different things. "Fully Synthetic" is again a marketing ploy...

Theres 125 pages in "The Goods In Oils" topic LOL alot of it is junk but there are some valid points made and some very useful information.

so what would u recommended in the ~$70 range for 5L then?

i've tried elf excellium, mobil 1 and now castrol edge.

so far the castrol has provide the most stable oil pressure.

so what would u recommended in the ~$70 range for 5L then?

i've tried elf excellium, mobil 1 and now castrol edge.

so far the castrol has provide the most stable oil pressure.

Well you are looking for a 10w-40 5w-40 which is $75 to $85.

From my understanding and what ive been told is you dont need less than 10w as thats your cold oil viscosity rating and 10 is more than watery enough for Australia coldest mornings. (especially with %100 fully synthetic!)

the second numbers represent your high temps, and i think 30 is a bit low, especially for a turbo, you really want at least 40 or even 50 would be good.just helps with protection when you go for that little blatt down the road hey and Australia gets up to some pretty hot days!

I only know as much as what ive been reading over the last few weeks from the goods in oils page, but i went and priced out some AMSOIL which isnt the best of the best, but is is a whole lot better quality than main stream oils like mobil and castrol, and it was $90 for 5 litres and a Engine flush which is a pretty sweet deal if you ask me. Castrol used to be 50 bux for their best ones, the prices have sky rocketed over the years.

Im just suggesting you should ask around for some other brands prices like Motul, AMSOIL, Redline Oil, Gulf Western, just to name a few. Thats what i did and it worked out for the better. Also as daunting as it it, have a quick-ish read through the "Goods On Oils" page.

Castrol is an OK oil, its the best of the mainstream highly marketed oils. but it wont give as good protection, or even last anywhere as long as the better brands do. I just dont see why buy that when you can get better ones for the same price. Thats all i am meaning. it would be fine if you were only spending 40 - 50 bux for it.

Edited by HYBR3D

Just curious why you didnt find ELF any good, I know alot of people that have used it over the years and they have all said really good things about it? the only down side was it was more expensive than castrols ones.

If your going to buy castrol tho dont get the 5w30, get 5w-40 or 10w-60. as soon as the temp gets up to the max viscosity range limit, there goes your engine protection, and 30 isnt very high.

From my understanding and what ive been told is you dont need less than 10w as thats your cold oil viscosity rating and 10 is more than watery enough for Australia coldest mornings. (especially with %100 fully synthetic!)

ALL oils are too thick when cold, in general the lower the cold viscosity the better.

personally i like penrite, been running it for years without any problems and their new 10tenths is a 100% synthetic group IV/V blend with ester

ALL oils are too thick when cold, in general the lower the cold viscosity the better.

personally i like penrite, been running it for years without any problems and their new 10tenths is a 100% synthetic group IV/V blend with ester

I use penrite oil and my pressure is lower everywhere. Cold start is about 4 to 5 and warm is just above 2. Good or bad? My old oil, royal purple ran about 6 to 7 cold and 3 to 4 warm. I'm using the new penrite stuff in 10w 40.

I use penrite oil and my pressure is lower everywhere. Cold start is about 4 to 5 and warm is just above 2. Good or bad? My old oil, royal purple ran about 6 to 7 cold and 3 to 4 warm. I'm using the new penrite stuff in 10w 40.

if your gauge is accurate thats good, assuming thats at 1000-2000rpm?

if your gauge is accurate thats good, assuming thats at 1000-2000rpm?

Yeah, my cruising speed is considered 2krpm or lower. Its the standard dash gauge. It goes up fine to about 4 when moving and higher when its higher up in the revs.

been thining about switching to Penrite as well, I use it in my other cars and its great stuff and about half the price of motul so can change it more frequently.

Ive only put it in my 33 diff and it feels good..think I will just go with the HPR 10, 10-50...think its good for ethanol too yeah

hoiw much is the ten tenths stuff?