SAU Community

I thought Japanese were usually pretty civil!!!

Streeter

Went out to Nanko last night (local drift spot)and the cops were pretty much sitting at the main spot all night.

So me and a few mates decided to go to this other spot coz we were getting sick of sitting around.

Anyway I hadnt seen one of these guys drifting before and he offered me a ride... He is apparently Bai`s Student (Bai is currently in D1) and Keiske has been drifting on and off for 10 years, Sweet. That was pretty cool, very fast ie 120-140 kph entries into right angle corners (big long slides to wash off the speed) He then offers my missus a ride... cooo anything to keep her interest up in drift is a good thing in my books.

So I decide to take a seat in the spotters car coz I wanted a nice view as my car was parked a few cars back and it was pretty cold last night. All of a sudden the spotter starts screaming some shit to me and pushing me out of the car. (MY japanese is really crap A. coz I dont study and B. prolly coz I am a dumb arse) I presume cops (although I didnt hear Keisatsu) and pretty calmly step out of the Laurel to see this dark sillouhet of a man sprinting towards us with a pole!!! FARK... by the time I could make it into my car the others had already started doing U-turns. As I sort through my keys I notice the guy is already at my front bumper!!! then WHACK he takes a full swing at head height on the windsheild!!! . Luckily the windsheild holds and the pole bounces off. I find the key and get it in the ignition... WHACK there goes my rear view mirror :) Start turning the engine over... WHACK he hits the A pillar and smashes the plastic wind deflector... car starts and I grab first... WHACK he hits the drivers side window and again luckily the window holds. I finally get the furk out of there!!!

At the time I didnt know what the hell was going on... I later realise that he is a local resident/worker that sleeps in the factories and drifters ALWAYS wake him up and as drifting is illegal they are considered fair game!!! FARK. Thanks for warning me about that one guys! LOL

So anyway damage is really only the rear view mirror as I dont need the wind deflector... I am just grateful the windows held! The pole must have been pretty light coz the guy wasnt mucking around when he was swinging! At the time the thought had crossed my mind to get out and teach this guy a lesson (I was unarmed but would have stood atleast 5-6" taller and weighed atleast 10kg more) but looking back Im glad I didnt coz I figure a gaigin drifting and then beating the crap out of a local really aint going to do my visa any favours (Thats if he didnt beat me to a pulp with the pole! HAHAHA).

Anyway the night was still pretty cool, Got to talk with Bai and made a few BADLY needed contacts for tyres/parts plus finally got some drifting in at 6:00am! lol yeah thats right the sun rises and we are still waiting around for the cops to leave LOL.

I thought Japanese were usually pretty civil!!!

Jess, this may be Japan and you can get away with alot of things but still common sense dude.

I later realise that he is a local resident/worker that sleeps in the factories and drifters ALWAYS wake him up and as drifting is illegal they are considered fair game!!! FARK.

Do you know about the bozozoku? You'll probably do the same thing.

Nanko has been a no go zone since late last year, too many cops. I was down there earlier this year on the practise night and had to wait till 4am before we got any action and it was only for 20miniutes before the cops turned up. Best to stay away for a while mate.

Jess, this may be Japan and you can get away with alot of things but still common sense dude.

Never had people swinging poles at me for drifting before! LOL and I didnt exactly hang around once I saw the guy either.

Do you know about the bozozoku? You'll probably do the same thing.

Nanko has been a no go zone since late last year, too many cops.  I was down there earlier this year on the practise night and had to wait till 4am before we got any action and it was only for 20miniutes before the cops turned up.  Best to stay away for a while mate.

Nah I have been down there pretty much every week for the past month and its not that bad at all... the cops rock up but I have yet to see them do anything. 2 weeks ago there was drifting after the cops left from 1:30am till dawn... That is WAY better than I ever had it back home! And last night there was 3 D1 drivers out! sif I will be staying away! Im not complaining about the crazy locals just was a little surprised they get THAT shirty. I cant imagine myself ever attacking a strangers car no matter what the circumstances.

Maybe things have gotten quieter since start of the year, still being in a lock down is not fun. There were two late last year which made the papers, when it was getting out of hand.

Yeah, the cops will do nothing but just park there, course unless you don't leave. So now you know better to stay near the car :)

Maybe things have gotten quieter since start of the year, still being in a lock down is not fun.  There were two late last year which made the papers, when it was getting out of hand.

Yeah, the cops will do nothing but just park there, course unless you don't leave.  So now you know better to stay near the car :)

Yeah I was talking to a couple of people about this "lockdown" doesnt sound too pleasant. Apparently it is treated as tresspassing (20k yen fine) because the road is closed plus its marked on your permanent record (I dont know how much people will care about someone being on a closed road though!?) Not sure on this logic as I would have thought they would have preferred drifting to stay on closed roads rather than open public ones?? but I guess they need to sting you for something.

Then they check the car to see if its blatantly out of Shaken spec. (I should be safe there) I would be all for taking it to the track but am seriously low on funds at the moment and I came to Japan to drift so I see it as a calculated risk that has to be taken or whats the point of me being here at all?

Interesting story Jess... now, where are the pics and videoof all this action you're involved in? :P

If you could donate a video camera maybe I could do something about that... most of the areas are really dark so cameras arent much use :)