SAU Community

Deceiving Gearbox Leak

luvpsi

hey guys i looked under the car today ( have not driven it for about 6 months) and noticed a 50cent size oil patch on ground just under the bell housing however when you look to the back of the box near the drain plug yu can see where oil is about to drip but it also seems to be going to the back of the box also but not dripping onto ground. i cant seem to find where it is exactly coming from and it is deceiving. is this a common problem could the drain plug just be leaking as it is still tight. or is it something more serious like rear seal or input shaft seal

may be from the breather pipe, its above the bell housing. probably unlikely if you haven't driven it for that long though.

wipe down the box so theres no oil marks then watch to see where it comes from

yeah ill do that when i get time just wanted a heads up what to look for before i did

just looked under again and now there is 2 50cent size puddles one at each end

Did you smell the oil? It could be engine or gb oil.

+1, and the reason this is being suggested is that the rear main seal (rear of block to crankshaft) can leak engine oil out at the bellhousing.

found the leak thanks guys one of the rear housing bolts to the box was a little loose and was leaking and the leak towards the front is actually my exhaust side cam cover leaking down the back of the motor