SAU Community

M35 Stagea Headunit

joshm35

Hey peeps,

Very limited info on this. I have the oem single din cd unit. Im looking at installing a single din replacement headunit and have a problem with what wires go where. I have hdtv installed so ull be installing the sound into the aux option so thats sorted. Will the nissan harness work with the m35 for easy install. If anyine has done this successfully can you please run me and everyone else.what you did and what colour wires you used. I keeping the factory display .

Thanks josh

go and buy a nissan to ISO harness. then an ISO to whatever brand. that way, no cutting of wires.

you might need the antenna connection adaptor also...........

if you have an aftermarket TV tuner, run a pair of RCAs to the head unit from the tuner in the boot. if you only have the stock tuner, i have no idea haha

You can test the speaker wires with a 9v battery, simply place one wire on the +ve and touch the other to the -ve terminal .once you find the pair of wires for a particular speaker ( nothing will happen if you dont have the 2 wires for the same speaker...look at the diaphragm/cone to see its pulsing outward so you know the signal is in phase, if it's out of phase the cone will move in reverse.

Label up and wire accordingly, also use solder and heat shrink, never twist and leccy tape. You will have issues down the track

Ok so went out and got the head unit yesterday, chose a Sony CDX-GT700UI MP3 CD Player with USB/Ipod Function, AUX input and 3 pre outs. i have also ordered a nissan 2 to 1 aerial jack for the stagea. After finding a diagram i got sent a while ago by Leon (commsman) i have figured out the following.

Black - Earth - Connect to Chassis - (Attach First)

Red - Acc Power/On Position - Pin 10 - (LG)

Yellow - Constant Power - Pin 6 - (Y)

Orange/White - Illuminate Signal - Pin 8 - (R/L)

Blue ATT - Car Phone Option - NIL - NOT NEEDED

Blue ANT - Antenna Power Supply - Pin 5 - (R/W)

Blue/White - Amp Ren - NIL - Run to amps

Grey - Front R+ - Pin 4 - (BR)

Grey/Black - Front R- - Pin 3 - (B/R)

Purple - Rear R+ - Pin 16 - (OR)

Purple/Black - Rear R- - Pin 15 - (B/P)

Green - Rear L+ - Pin 14 - (LG)

Green/Black - Rear L- - Pin 13 - (B/Y)

White - Front L+ - Pin 2 - (L)

White/Black - Front L- - Pin 1 - (B/W)

From the GI section "How to read wiring diagrams" of pretty well any Nissan FSM

This shows a code for the color of the wire.

B = Black

W = White

R = Red

G = Green

L = Blue

Y = Yellow

LG = Light Green

BR = Brown

OR = Orange

P = Pink

PU = Purple

GY = Gray

SB = Sky Blue

CH = Dark Brown

DG = Dark Green

When the wire color is striped, the base color is given first, followed by the stripe color as

shown below:

Example: L/W = Blue with White Stripe I Hope this Can Help People In the future with their installs and add to this.

Edited by joshm35

go and buy a nissan to ISO harness. then an ISO to whatever brand. that way, no cutting of wires.

you might need the antenna connection adaptor also...........

if you have an aftermarket TV tuner, run a pair of RCAs to the head unit from the tuner in the boot. if you only have the stock tuner, i have no idea haha

A really good suggestion, Ian. Just curious, though; do you happen to know which harness would work for the Nissan to ISO bit? I've seen a few floating around, with various years and model specific but cant really find one that pertains to G/V35 skyline but I have found one for the 350z.

Not sure if the 350z one will work, though...

Cool, I have that one on my watch list. Curious, do these cable pass on any of the vehicle information? To clarify that a little, (even I had to re-read that), I've got a Pioneer AVIC-F920BT to throw in the car once I get it in the driveway and the built-in GPS has an input for the speed signal. Does the harness pass on that data or does it need to be tapped from the speedo somehow?

Hopefully I'll be able to play around with it all soon as the car gets delivered to the compliance shop shortly, if it isn't there already =)

Does the harness pass on that data or does it need to be tapped from the speedo somehow?

No, the wiring harness won't contain any of that, you'll need to pick up speed signal from the ECU or somewhere similar

To find out what wires are what in the factory loom, check the InstallDr PDF...

http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/Nissan-Wiring.asp

Speed data is sent down the CAN data line, you cannot tap into it for speed without a decoder. There is apparently a 4 wire brown plug taped to the loom above the cig lighter which may have speed pulse output but I have yet to try and find it.

Curious, do these cable pass on any of the vehicle information? To clarify that a little, (even I had to re-read that), I've got a Pioneer AVIC-F920BT to throw in the car once I get it in the driveway and the built-in GPS has an input for the speed signal. Does the harness pass on that data or does it need to be tapped from the speedo somehow?

The only reason I can think of as to why a GPS needs an auxillary speed input is to provide some sort of info when going through a long tunnel or in an underground carpark. If that's the case, & because all cars are different, it probably calibrates itself with the speed variable frequency of the speed signal against GPS speed. Then it knows how fast you are going even if it can't see the satellites.

If all that sounds like what it does/needs, then you can use the same speed signal that a cruise control uses to maintain vehicle velocity. There's 2 wire locations you can use. Both are relatively easy to find & one in particular (blue one) is right beside the stereo. They are documented in this thread: http://www.m35stagea.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=282

Cheers, Leon.

The only reason I can think of as to why a GPS needs an auxillary speed input is to provide some sort of info when going through a long tunnel or in an underground carpark. If that's the case, & because all cars are different, it probably calibrates itself with the speed variable frequency of the speed signal against GPS speed. Then it knows how fast you are going even if it can't see the satellites.

If all that sounds like what it does/needs, then you can use the same speed signal that a cruise control uses to maintain vehicle velocity. There's 2 wire locations you can use. Both are relatively easy to find & one in particular (blue one) is right beside the stereo. They are documented in this thread: http://www.m35stagea....php?f=24&t=282

Cheers, Leon.

I think that's exactly what the speed signal is used for, Leon, thanks!

Found this after confirming Leon's theory: "In addition to the GPS antenna the navigation takes input signals from the car’s speed sensor and reverse light wires, but these two only aid in sheer accuracy and aren't strictly required."

Again, thanks Leon. I'll have a shot at using the wires described and will send you a PM regarding those Cruise Control kits; they're certainly something I want to throw in there too. =)

Again, thanks Leon. I'll have a shot at using the wires described and will send you a PM regarding those Cruise Control kits; they're certainly something I want to throw in there too. =)

Glad I could help. It was just a guess but I couldn't think of any other reason a GPS would need those inputs.

Sorry Dom, I won't be able to help with a cruise control, but if you read the EOI thread there will be info on where else you can get one.

Glad I could help. It was just a guess but I couldn't think of any other reason a GPS would need those inputs.

Sorry Dom, I won't be able to help with a cruise control, but if you read the EOI thread there will be info on where else you can get one.

Thats cool, I'll have a poke around the EOI thread and see what's what. =)

I got a sony unit with a aux jack in the front. I connect the tv tuner video to oem tuner. I then ran audio cables under floor from audio jack in tuner to the aux jack in head unit. To listen to tv I just select aux option. Works great. Hope this helps. You just need a red/white audio plug to single headphone jack. So much better than oem headunit.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi All,

Just curios, can you keep the original head unit and run an auxiliary input into so that a phone/mp3 player can play through the existing M35 stereo & head unit? My aim is to have a cable with headphone jack coming out somewhere near the centre console, allowing us to play from mp3 player or phone. Anyone have advice or experience with this?

Hi All,

Just curios, can you keep the original head unit and run an auxiliary input into so that a phone/mp3 player can play through the existing M35 stereo & head unit? My aim is to have a cable with headphone jack coming out somewhere near the centre console, allowing us to play from mp3 player or phone. Anyone have advice or experience with this?

If it doesn't have an aux switch on the front then you can't.

I have the single DIN CY230 cd player which doesn't have any aux.

I'm looking at installing a media player into the tv tuner via rca.

The TV Tuner does have aux in but it's a 6 pin square plug.

I'm trying to source a lead.