SAU Community

Newbie Here-From Supra To Skyline

tripsteady

Copied from the introduction section , didnt know NSW had their own intro section

New to the forums and fairly new to cars.

I'm also new to owning a skyline , just purchased an r33 gts25t on Saturday.

Owned a ma70 supra for two years , rebuilt the engine , toda r cams, forgies, honed, decked and bored , metal head gasket, basically built the 7mgte for some massive power , hopefully in the vicinity of 350rwkw. After putting the engine back in the problems that come with a 26 year old car started to steer me towards disaster. $15 000 and 2 years later and Im still not at my goal of 350rwkw , just an r154 + standalone to go , but I realised that as I increased the power , the weaker components where starting to break.

theshot.jpg

02032011692.jpg

150620118131.jpg

2011-12-10184322.jpg

2011-12-10153841.jpg

2012-02-04144402.jpg

2012-02-04145506.jpg

2012-03-11133435.jpg

siderim-1.jpg

2012-04-22094440.jpg

2012-04-22100942.jpg

2012-04-22101850.jpg

2012-01-22182303.jpg

2012-01-22164216.jpg

I needed a reliable daily driver that I could do some spirited driving and the Supra wasnt it.

Ive always had a fascination with Skylines, but ever since the r33 gts25t's became so common(most bogans with a rat tail own one) I began to steer away from them for a few years.

Once the p plate laws kicked in this "fad" seemed to subside and I saw very few decent looking turbo skylines around. After reaching my wits end with the Supra, I purchased a blue-black Skyline on Saturday and havn't looked back since. 115 k's on the clock , absolutely immaculate , stock as a rock(except for a tip).The way it sits , the sleek lines of the body and the sound of that RB brings me to the verge of insane happiness.

Took this at the dealership and parked the car at my parents while waiting for transfer rego and insurance so haven't had a chance to drive it yet ( drove it home in the wet and didn't want to give it to much). I'l take better pics and update this on Friday but wanted to share my enthusiasm with the forum now :)

2012-05-26141009.jpg

2012-05-26140958.jpg

2012-05-26140942.jpg

In order to not be one of those annoying noobs , Ive read the faq's ,the general maintenance section and used the search button as much as I could to answer my inane questions.

It took me 30min to find the battery in the car last night , how embarrassing....never knew they where in the boot stock.

I'm sure I'l have a thousand other questions but promise to use the search function first before I annoy the more senior ones around here.

Mods I plan

- full service , flush and replace all fluids

- remove crappy rims and replace with Volks from Supra

- exhaust & intake

- front mount intercooler

- coilovers - need to get that "flush" stance

- ebc , wideband gauge , turn boost up to just below fuel cut

- sub , 6x9's , jvc headunit

That should keep me happy for the next 6 months or so

This looks like a good community(far less aggressive and tolerant than the supra community) and I look forward to joining it.

Thanks for reading

Cheers

Tripsteady

Welcome!! Hope your new purchase brings you plenty of great motoring.

Will be good to catch you around, maybe an official cruise or texi :D

Hi and Welcome!

7M days, I remember them. I had the non-turbo version from a Supra in a Cressida many many light years ago when the original 7MGE let go with BHG :)

thanks , yes the 7m usually does let go that way due to incorrect torque settings from factory and what most believe is an improper head design. done properly with a mhg they can make good power with massive amounts of torque down low.

Looks great, congratulations.

Appears you also have aftermarket side skirts on it.

thanks , will update with better pics later.

yes I do , not really a fan of it as the lines dont flow as well as the rest of the car. too much going on , will replace with something better in the near future.

Welcome mate, i bought mine from the same place only a month ago! =)

Welcome!! Hope your new purchase brings you plenty of great motoring.

Will be good to catch you around, maybe an official cruise or texi :D

thank you , yes would love to meet up for a cruise , even if im just running a stock rb :)

goodjob dude!! sounds and looks great!!!

I bought my gtt just over a year ago stock as a mother fkn rock, with blown speakers and out of frequency radio hah.

I annoyed many people on here for help on a weekly basis (haha), so in turn PM me any time you like if you got any question no matter how stupid it may sound or anything and ill do my best to help you out mate.

goodjob dude!! sounds and looks great!!!

I bought my gtt just over a year ago stock as a mother fkn rock, with blown speakers and out of frequency radio hah.

I annoyed many people on here for help on a weekly basis (haha), so in turn PM me any time you like if you got any question no matter how stupid it may sound or anything and ill do my best to help you out mate.

thanks man,youl definitely be getting a few pms from me :) much appreciated

will be dumped immediately

Make sure you budget for adjustable bushes if you're going to lower it, otherwise you wont be able to get a decent alignment out of it. Also, don't go too low if you want it to still handle...

Swap those rims and enjoy it for a bit!

- remove crappy rims and replace with Volks from Supra

That should keep me happy for the next 6 months or so

highlighted my favourite part of his first post.

good luck OP, i started with a stock R33 and now its making about 280KW at the rears, im not a huge face of its looks to this day but it has grown on me a little..certainly cant complain about the power im making now though its never enough is it?