SAU Community

My Nissan Stagea From Purchase Till......

Rabster The Outlaw

Ok so as boosst let the cat out the bag before i had got the car up to scratch here is my new project. the only real reason for the car is i cant do a huge amount to my 350z as its pretty much the car i want it to be

so i found this beauty....

1301084203_resized.jpg

1299947786_resized.jpg

Her spec is as follows

1996 Series 1 Stagea

Greddy E-Manage

Greddy FMIC

Turbosmart e-Boost 2

FCD

HKS Induction

Garret T30 Turbo

Blitz Downpipe

HKS Decat

Torque Flow Back Box

Tein Coilovers

4pot front callipers

Grooved & Dimpled Discs

Twin Pot Rear Callipers

Poly Bushed Uprate Susspension Arms

Tein Adjustable Pillow Ball Tension Arms

Series 2 Rear Lights

Tinted Rear & Back Windows

18" Wolfrace Wheels

DVD Headunit

Infinty Speakers

Clifford Concept 650 alarm

Remote start

Prosport AFR

Prosport EGT

Prosport Boost

1303148864_resized.jpg

1310303076_resized.jpg

1303584719_resized.jpg

1303584681_resized.jpg

1303149079_resized.jpg

1298879876_resized.jpg

So i started the conversion on thursday morning so here are the pics

in the morning

c460aa4b.jpg

3387caf3.jpg

b605765d.jpg

Kit positioned

7ef670d0.jpg

2cb514f3.jpg

Headlights cut into place

9bc69c97.jpg

c56cdd71.jpg

Test bolt up

5ebaad9c.jpg

85add528.jpg

3909f768.jpg

Semi finished front end etc

b89d64e6.jpg

452c5ed1.jpg

I can confirm that you can make the factory bonnet catch work you need to drag forward about 2 inches i used stud and nuts to do this however the bonnet catch is quite a stiff ****** so needs to be braced from below or it wont shut and latch

also factory hinges with r34 tops dont work for the masa bonnet, it sits far to low and has to be spaced (temporarily) 13 x m8 washers per side to even come close plus the actualt hinge is to far over and has also been spaced to even come close to the mounting holes on the bonnet........

so few more pics now

e58a706e.jpg

84fd04d9.jpg

c6ead7c5.jpg

1aa0288e.jpg

210edf9c.jpg

As you can see the bonnet still doesnt line up right i think this is due to the fact there are to many variables on the bonnet line up so need to solve this before i can get the lines right.

thought this wont stop me getting the car Wrapped ASAP

alll thats left now is the rear Splitter to fit but this requires some modification and it was raining lol

so turned out i was missing a headlight bracket so had to order the drivers side one of these

IMG_1494.jpg

whilst i was at it i got the GTR bonnet latch re-locator and GTR hinges i didndnt fancy cutting them apart so i for now have made wood spacers namely due to the fact i was dong this an hour from my metal working facilitys and i want to get the exact height it needs to be so far sitting at 35mm height change whilst still using the R34 GTR hinges complete

so with the car now lined up properly we could see the differences in the dimensions of the kit and i wasn't happy so out came the fibreglass and filler etc and here we go

gap before

IMG_1504.jpg

fiber glass added

IMG_1505.jpg

IMG_1506.jpg

IMG_1507.jpg

Filler added

IMG_1511.jpg

IMG_1514.jpg

so with the kit now lined up propperly time to get on with the prep to paint

we did flat it all down etc and started with the filler primer

IMG_1521.jpg

Unfortunatly there had been some touch up work done and the paint even though flatted reacted badly with the primer so had to be sanded down again and treated with barcoat

IMG_1526.jpg

to plat it safe i did the whole front of the car in it

IMG_1527.jpg

IMG_1528.jpg

IMG_1529.jpg

IMG_1530.jpg

even inside the shuts

IMG_1533.jpg

New coat of primer applied

IMG_1535.jpg

No reaction so carried on

IMG_1538.jpg

IMG_1540.jpg

IMG_1542.jpg

IMG_1544.jpg

so now waititng for that to fully arden for a few days before any base coat is applied but here is the workshop/ Spray shop

IMG_1551.jpg

Ok so yesterday I had the day off work so after a early start to get the last few bits do e it was time to paint started with the skirts

bbc0d68a.jpg

9df9d17a.jpg

8db61c48.jpg

After a few coats we left those to harden and after about 30min in the polly tunnel it was time for the bumper

ed93300f.jpg

52392018.jpg

ca5f2c5d.jpg

59b0936f.jpg

30e4f8ce.jpg

Again few coats later and lunch time for the wings

We deliberately sprayed onto the bonnet to get a thick coat on the edges as we're expecting as with most cars that to be the points that could get damaged easy

So...

ce988188.jpg

e968a2d6.jpg

d6490043.jpg

5a83cff4.jpg

249bcdbd.jpg

Also did the fuel filler car and the bump strips of the new wings

94ecf95e.jpg

Will do another few overall coats this morning then start with the lacquer depending on how quick it all goes off will depend on if it drives away this Sunday or not......

Stay tuned lol

Ok so end of another day which started off not do well there had been a reaction over night to something we suspect a mixture of 2thinners maybe the culprit so had to sand the wing back again few more costs then again untill no reaction was left didn't fancy going all the way back to Barcoat as thats lots of work etc

So once this was do e we carried on few more dustings on the rest of the car then a light rub down and lacquer time now this stuff goes off quick dependant on mixture levels do we had what we thought was a 25min window per load turned out due to mixture and heat that it was a 10- 15 min window lol

So after 4 passes this is the state

5a524deb.jpg

b07d4e8b.jpg

d285e01e.jpg

44b1d7ea.jpg

0071d1bd.jpg

a8512ffd.jpg

42dea3a9.jpg

76ccaf87.jpg

ok so thats the second weekend over with an still its not on the road :(

but we do have significant progress

there was a few runs so we gave everything a quick rub down and then re lacquered

5a524deb.jpg

b07d4e8b.jpg

05fe70b7.jpg

so the moment you have been waiting for well i hope you have anyway lol

IMG_1627.jpg

IMG_1625.jpg

IMG_1624.jpg

IMG_1622.jpg

The body work unfortunately has orange peel i think to do with a mixture of things mainly the heat it got to in the room during the spraying rather than after where you bake it on so this means i have to flat the orrange peel down to get my glass finish i want so that's next weekend sorted :(

here is the comparison

IMG_1621.jpg

IMG_1620.jpg

what are your views anyone had orange peel from spaying before etc.....

Ok so I must be mad but spent the day outside in the rain with the wet and dry paper sanding the orange peel out so we now look like this

cefed926.jpg

77000aaf.jpg

989f1ba6.jpg

30a62f8a.jpg

26f7f7ef.jpg

This is how it did look

IMG_1620.jpg

If the rain will do ne tomorrow I will hit the car with the g220 cutting compound then polish it ready for the ace cafe next week......

Well we have success but was without its moments, if anyone attempts painting the car again dont try and use the Meguiers G220 to get out the Orrange peel or even the aftermareth of using 1000 - 2000 gritt paper as its not man enough. i found this the hard way

so had to go and buy a new Sander/polisher but once i did wow what a difference cut through the scratches alot easier and brought the car up to a nice shine

so here is the finished article prior to leaving the Booth today

ced21041.jpg

b1b12f55.jpg

fbd0ecc3.jpg

So i drove it back to the ranch and gave it some love so after a clean and a hit with Poor boys Black Hole we look like this

14bedcbd.jpg

f4e38c6d.jpg

b22045e4.jpg

b8890955.jpg

So here we go this was the paint match on saturday

5278ea3a.jpg

So i tried to polish but no such luck due to being the wrong paint on the rest of the car so on sunday afternoon i started masking up and monday morning / Lunchtime it got bar-coated

3967dac7.jpg

8a8338cf.jpg

a1b75086.jpg

e91dc476.jpg

sanded the high spots of then hit it with colour

52590e0d.jpg

f0bcb222.jpg

5ba6dc8c.jpg

bf130613.jpg

So after 3 and a bit coats of paint

341113a8.jpg

2e4565f1.jpg

6ddeb1b4.jpg

It was time to leave it over night the roof isnt right and requires a further coat as its so big and such a pain to paint its got alot of imperfections but im hoping that i can get lacquer on it tonight and maybe tomorrow sand the lacquer again and hit another coat on

keep your eyes open for more updates lol

all in all it was about 7 weeks but this did allow for me not working on it during the week as it was at my weekend house (big garden as you can see)

Most of the time was spent on the front end and side skirts preparing for paint etc the rest of the car was mainly a blow over which was about 2 weeks work

Wow you dont waste any time huh? That was about a years worth of thread posted in 2 days!!

Turned out beautiful, i like the S2 rear lights too!

Seems to be a few stunner stageas from the UK.... any further plans for the car?