SAU Community

Window tint.

JimX

I need new window tint for my front windows, the passenger side has no tint (been stripped off by previous owner) and the driver's side has 2 wide vertical scratches from where the felt window runners touch on the window.

I spoke to a guy a tinting place a few weeks ago and he said he's seen this before on Skylines, but couldn't tell me how long they take to develop, and couldn't offer me any suggestions as to how to stop it happening to any future tint.

Has anyone fixed this problem before? How long does it take to happen?

Mine are pretty clean, well the front one which is the worse of the 2 is accessible free of the glass and it's clean. I thought about replacing the felt because I think it's just worn down or something and probably not as soft as it used to be. I might try ringing some other tinting places that might have more experience with Skylines to see if they can offer any suggestions or even fix it for me.

I know it's not rough enough to scratch glass because the passenger window is scratch-free.

What's the best type of scratch-resistant tint? I know that there are plenty of different ones, but some must be better than others. Heat and UV reflection are also important.

I used F1 from tint-a-car... never failed my bro's car, no scratches, bla bla bla... so I put the same one in my car and very satisfied until now.... it's just more expensive than other brands, prob around $400 a car.

I had Instant Windscreens use their top of the line tint and it cost me $250.

Its cheaper in winter.. :)

I'm very happy with it.. it is TB35 and apparently 99% uv rated.

It is good looking Tint.

I had a look around at all of the Tint places and this was the best looking tint I thought.

It also has a mirror effect, so you can't see in :)

darkest legal isnt that dark, like my back solid glass panels(not windows :))there actually what they call ambulance black, and im liking that darkness aruond the car,

the guy said i can do it, but i rekon you couldnt get to those lights without getting booked.

the problem is i dont want that highly reflective mirror stuff i want it black, but i dont want you to be seeing through,

my mums bfs daughter just got her ford explorer done in 1 shade darker then legal, i think i might go another shade darker.

As far as I know if your car was built pre-96 you will have less problems going darker than legal because 1996 is when the laws came into effect. I'm not sure if this means that you won't get defected for it or if just the penalties are less.

Has anyone been done for having too-dark tint? What were the circumstances? (ie random car check, RBT, pulled over for speeding and also defected, pulled over just because the cops thought it looked too dark, etc) If the car was only 1-2 shades darker than legal I don't think there would be much of a problem with the cops.

Gerds, I sent you a pmail but your inbox was full so you didn't get it. I also sent you an email via the site but I'm not sure if you received it or not because you didn't reply :) Please tell me if you got it or not.

Hi Gerds I won't call yet, because my car's still in the repair shop and I won't get it back for another 2 weeks or so. And then I'll have to make sure I have a few hundred left over to do the tint so it might be another week or 2 after that.

If you want to clear your pm box, delete the inbox as well as the sent items.

I anyone in sydney wants some quality tint with lifetime gaurantee i'd be calling Unique Window Tinting.

They are mobile and can do it at your house, mirror tints, security tints etc etc

contact is Greg on 0413 103 576

I'll be after some window tinting in about 3 weeks time if anyone wants to use me in a group buy.

I'm after the best UV protection 99%? while also wanting my car to be as cool as possible this sumer - must be legal.

A window tinting place near the Northern Beaches would be good but I can borrow mums car for the day if necessary.

Mark

Guest GR33DyMANGO

yer i had grade 20 (20% of the light comes through) on my old car and didnt have a problem with the police etc...

i'll prolly get grade 10 on the skyline. a mate of mine has grade 10 REFLECTIVE on his s13 silvia and he's never had a problem.

i suppose there is a large correlation between how you drive on the road and whether or not you get a yellow sticker for tint.

I'm with Gerds.. I was seriously considering going 20% for quartes and rear, but it's illegal to have anything less than 35% when the window can be looked out of from the driver's seat.

If you're ever in an accident and the other party disputes it because "your window tint is too dark", your car will be deemed illegal and your insurance won't cover you. I'm not prepared to take the risk personally. Just weigh the risk vs benefits (looking good) carefully before going ahead.

God I sound like an old fuddy duddy :)

Just a tip ppls when getting tint done stress the point that you want the tint to have no gaps around the edge and if it does they will redo it otherwise u wont pay..

Stress it ppls otherwise you could get like a 1-4mm gap around parts of the edge..

And also ensure they round the corners not cut it square...

I have just taken mine back.. there was a little trouble getting it redone but i guess i'm going to have to be happy with the way it is.. which isn't to bad but my drivers window is perfect the passengers is a little dodge.. :)

I didn't notice it until i wound the window down a few days later.

I'll post a couple of pics in a few days