SAU Community

Cloudy Headlights? No More!

If you have cloudy or yellowing plastic headlamps heres the solution! Rub in and off Meguiars PlastX as many times as you can withstand, by hand or with a polisher. Once theyre as clean as you can get em, Rub in Nu Finish but only until you get the white cloudy wax all over the head lamp, leave in a shady normal tempreture area for 30 minutes or longer (longer you leave the more effective it is) and come back and wipe it off with microfibre towell and apply another coat if you feel the need. Done it to multiple cars and hasnt failed yet. The Nu finish is a once a year polish but for best results reapply polish every 6 months :yes:

I picked up a headlight restoration kit from Autobarn for about $20. It involved spraying some cleaning solution, sanding down with a few grades of sand paper and then polish off with another solution (very similar texture to Jiff) and it works great.

I just use normal car polish ... any cutting type will do the job with even just a hand applicator.

nice and easy, just do whenever you're giving your car a polish, or while you're waiting for wax or whatever to dry.

The final application will still need to have a UV inhibitor or UV resistant nanotechnology for the cloudiness to not return within 6 months.

Example:- Some polishes (perhaps Nu Finish?), sealants (Optiseal) and waxes (Malco Creme Wax)

I picked up a headlight restoration kit from Autobarn for about $20. It involved spraying some cleaning solution, sanding down with a few grades of sand paper and then polish off with another solution (very similar texture to Jiff) and it works great.

would that of been the turtle wax kit? i've got the same one and it worked an absolute treat

I tried the turtle wax kit on my work van and it failed..... i wore that pad out trying so i assume they were too far gone.... Would like to clean my R34 ones up so i might try the OP's method :thumbsup:

I tried the turtle wax kit on my work van and it failed..... i wore that pad out trying so i assume they were too far gone.... Would like to clean my R34 ones up so i might try the OP's method :thumbsup:

turtle wax kit won't work unless you follow it exact to the instructions

turtle wax kit won't work unless you follow it exact to the instructions

I did exactly as it said, and i failed... Ill try the other method on the 34 and see what happens :)

I just used some Merzerna Final Finish and that got rid of the cloudy finish on the lights

Was doing the car at the time and thought I would give it a go

If you are over my way on the weekend Matt you are welcome to call in and try on yours if you want

I just used some Merzerna Final Finish and that got rid of the cloudy finish on the lights

If you are over my way on the weekend Matt you are welcome to call in and try on yours if you want

Yes I have done this to 4 cars now and all have come up great with no scratching...like sandpaper gives that is impossible to get out....

I even gloss seal and wax them :D

Thanks heaps mate, pretty keen to give it a go!! Will hopefully see you Saturday morning :)

Looks like there is some yellowing staining on the inside of my headlights. Whats the best way to clean the insides?

I noticed on the headlights there is a silver latch, does that mean they can be opened without putting them in the oven?

yeah you pop all the latches off, i think there is a screw too..but you still have to heat all the sealant to open them..

use a heat gun to heat up all the silicon..it will take a while to do this then slowly start prying it open then heat some more keep going until its off..

I've done a few but wouldnt recomend it if you dont have to....did you try buffing them?

Yeah tried buffing the outside, i'd say 80% came off. Feels real smooth and clean thats why i'm thinking its from the inside.

If its from the inside could mean their is a leak or the glue isnt sealed properly, might be good to open them. Don't really want to do this method but hate the cloudy/yellowly lights

• 2 weeks later...

would that of been the turtle wax kit? i've got the same one and it worked an absolute treat

Tried turtle wax on my V worked great!

Whatever you do don't use toothpaste that shit will leave your headlights foggy in the long run (too abrasive).

Edited by Marshan