SAU Community

Bmi - Body Mass Index, Why Is It Still Used?

GHOSTrun

Why do people/organisations still use/rely on the body mass index scale to determine if someone is overweight or unhealthy etc?

Dividing your height by your weight doesn't tell anything about your body composition, fitness level or physical aptitude...

Here is an example of how flawed this scale is:

252597_10150963233779370_1662799186_n.jpg

Edited by GHOSTrun

It's pretty well known that BMI is useless for athletes and anyone with more than an average amount of muscle, in much the same way that cheap scales proclaiming to measure body fat are...because they basically use a BMI to calculate it.

Hmmmm, personally speaking we never use BMI anymore, but if we are just wanting to do a general analysis of an obese person it can assist. Of course the same cant be used for an athlete with high muscle volume etc as the pic showed above. ( P.S. i really liked that pic you posted Ghost run, sums it up nicely.)

Not many (if any) fitness proffesionals use BMI anymore, except for what i mentioned. scales, calipers and blood pressure normally gets the point through

But good question, I dont know why doctors are? you will find the more newer docs in the industry are using "Tanita" style scales that assist in taking Body Fat percentages for you in under a minute. I personally dont see doctors over here still using BMI unless if physically overweight/obese.

You can always use the fat calipers (pinch test) but of course inaccuracy can show easily should two different PT's do it, eg scapula is a common mistake area.

There is advantages to it for people who are overweight and could be at risk, a simple graph showing the general population then where they are at could be effective in creating pain to motivate said person. We still have one of these in our PT office to assist clients who may have high needs.

I stil remember watching the Louie Theraux documentary on body builders when he says "Are body builders not fit then?" and the trainer said "Oh absolutely, in a different way but they are still unfit"

There is parallels in extreme obesity and extreme body building - stretch marks, pressure on the heart, difficulties in running, chaffing. obviously things such as diabetes is reduced but I am sure i could bring up some more parralells for both the extremes.

It's not just disadvantageous to people with high muscle mass (and heavy), it also effects people who are extremely lean, eg. <10% bf at average proportions still puts you around BMI of 25 which is the start of "obese".

My interest is because according to posts from other users on another forum, major organisations such as the defence forces, the police force, paramedics etc still use BMI as a measure. Just dumbfounded how such a useless scale can be used in seemingly some important roles as a measure.

Edited by GHOSTrun

Defense use it as a measure yes, but it's not a deciding factor - there is much more they take into account and if you are over on BMI it's not critically important.

I know as my best mate is around 105kg and 5'8", but he is as wide as a house

• 2 months later...

As a former doctor in the Army the first post says it all. Other measurements the key one being waistline were made during a medical and that sort sit out. In my current clinical practice with both sexes I prefer waistline, or with women dress size they fit into, as the progress measurement over using weight.If you generate muscle mass it is burning calories even when "not in use".

Edited by DR 32R

Not really so to speak,

Although the military and doctors used it for sometime, it was originally used to assist in the study of statistics of mass populus. Hence the reason for its inaccuracies on individuals

Then again schools could be considered a mass populous.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

At 5'10" and 90kgs I'm Probley considered close to death or some crap. I don't believe the body mass index to be correct.

I have a good deal of muscle mass and consider myself quite fit so who cares what ur bmi is :)

Edited by Nikk_666

At 5'10" and 90kgs I'm Probley considered close to death or some crap. I don't believe the body mass index to be correct.

I have a good deal of muscle mass and consider myself quite fit so who cares what ur bmi is :)

Jealous on height vs. weight! At my peak, I only could manage 92kg and I'm 6 ft tall. I was eating like a pig, taking creatine, 3x protein shakes a day, multivitamins, and flaxseed oil