SAU Community

R34 Gtt Series 1 Vs Series 2

I assume the power figures in the brochure I attached would be power at the fly wheel so the manuals must have a better tune or something that gives it the extra torque. Correct me if im wrong.

The diff from the series 1 is Viscous regardless if its a manual or auto.

Its only the series 2 manuals that came with the helical diff.

Yeah who knows the 206ps " gentleman's agreement " was in place still it might be ar the wheels stock the car runs about that much power

I think its more of engine and trans dyno figure , back then chassic dynos were rare even for big companies except for racing teams

You can feel the difference for sure in s2 over s1 cars the car is way more driveable around 60kph

once modded even a little it makes it a whole lot better car to drive sanely ( but will bite you on rough roads in the rain tcs off) its a fine game of throttle control and potholes with jap spec coilovers . Like a gokart on oily road

Fun but you better pay attention or back it into a tree

I have a test review from a car mag in uk , its interesting , I'll scan it up this week sometime

• 2 months later...

epic thread revive.jpeg

so the S2 is a better (more fun) car to drive overall, if we're talking stock?

IE: If i'm looking to buy a 34, which i am, would it be advisable to pay that little extra for an S2 rather an S1 at a lower price?

Get whatever you can afford... In my case that was a series one turbo, auto with 3" cat back apexi exhaust and a few other mods... But I have since converted it to manual, added a 3" dump, and heaps of other stuff and I wouldn;t trade it for a series two coz me and my car are best mates now lol...

So yeah, just get whatever you think is the best deal and i am sure you will love it either way.

• Like 1

Noticed something today , the series 2 airbox has a completely different flow setup and they dont interchange properly

S1 has a supersmall snorkle and much thicker profile

The airbox lid wont allow the bonnet to close with snorkle ?

S2 has about 500mm more width and the airvane inside comes right to the outside edge, the profile for air is larger , substantially larger near the top intake to the box ? , it sinks down to a more molded in fit around the radiator, charcoal canister , mine is cut now for even more flow and double the intake area on the box , will take some photos but if anyone has a uncut series 2 airbox snorkle take a photo and post it up

Will post up my carbon hiflow version next week

Edited by Carbon 34

chris - ok if we're not talking about fun, which is the better car?
I had my series 1 for almost a year & have had my series 2 for about 4 months. There is literally no difference in the drive. That extra torque is not noticable, the only thing that is are the cosmetic changes.

Actually there is 1 difference I have noticed. My series 2 steps out sideways easier, this is due to the diff.

My diff on the series 1 was screwed so only 1 wheel would spin & the back end would not step out.

Edited by B-Boi34
  • Like 1

Noticed something today , the series 2 airbox has a completely different flow setup and they dont interchange properly S1 has a supersmall snorkle and much thicker profile The airbox lid wont allow the bonnet to close with snorkle ? S2 has about 500mm more width and the airvane inside comes right to the outside edge, the profile for air is larger , substantially larger near the top intake to the box ? , it sinks down to a more molded in fit around the radiator, charcoal canister , mine is cut now for even more flow and double the intake area on the box , will take some photos but if anyone has a uncut series 2 airbox snorkle take a photo and post it up Will post up my carbon hiflow version next week

I have a uncut series 2 snorkel at home, I will post up a pic as soon as I can. My series 1 never came with one so I didnt notice the difference

I had my series 1 for almost a year & have had my series 2 for about 4 months. There is literally no difference in the drive. That extra torque is not noticable, the only thing that is are the cosmetic changes.

Actually there is 1 difference I have noticed. My series 2 steps out sideways easier, this is due to the diff.

My diff on the series 1 was screwed so only 1 wheel would spin & the back end would not step out.

cheers Brody, really needed the comparison from someone who's had both! That makes things interesting for me...

I have a uncut series 2 snorkel at home, I will post up a pic as soon as I can. My series 1 never came with one so I didnt notice the difference

Wanna sell it? Mine came with a HKS pod filtrer and i hate pods so I put the pod on the missus stagea and put the stagea box in my 34 but the stagea snorkel doesn't fit in a 34 so i currently have a hot air intake lol

Wanna sell it? Mine came with a HKS pod filtrer and i hate pods so I put the pod on the missus stagea and put the stagea box in my 34 but the stagea snorkel doesn't fit in a 34 so i currently have a hot air intake lol

Sorry mate not willing to part with it just in case I decide to use it at a later stage. You can buy the GTR ones from Just jap but think it would take some work to make it fit

If op isn't coming from a skyline/turbo background of cars, driving any 34 will put a smile on your face. Apart from the series 2 front looking like dogs balls there is little tangible difference imo

If op isn't coming from a skyline/turbo background of cars, driving any 34 will put a smile on your face. Apart from the series 2 front looking like dogs balls there is little tangible difference imo

Pretty much... I went from a very underpowered RB30 GQ Patrol to my 34 and have been loving every minute of it

Import one if you've got the cash... Most I have seen for sale since I imported mine have been priced at 15k and i only paid 9 for mine. You could get a late model R34 in manual with heaps of gear for 15k i'd say.