SAU Community

Interior Light Problems

99 rs4

Hi guys, just recently my interior lights wont work when I open the door. It's not fuse related (well I don't think) and not bulb related. Nor is it light fitting related (I swapped rear to front) the rear works great but the front only works if you turn it to the "on" position. The door switches are working and the open door symbol on the dash works when the key is turned and the "key in ignition" bell works when you open the door. I get 12.45vdc at the door and I know it's only switching the ground but I can't buy this one out? Is there a relay or something else controlling interior lights?? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Yes there's a relay and a timer that keeps the lights on after you close the door until you start the engine. Where it is I can't remember but if you find it I may have a spare as I have a binfull of relays I got from an S1 that I wrecked for parts!

btw this is (hopefully) the key to the fusebox behid the coin drawer:

Fusebox001.jpg

Thanks for that i had thought of that. Ill have to try to find it. That is the S1 fuse layout, i have a S2. But thanks for the thought. I already found the S2 one and know its not a fuse. Just need to find that relay..... if anyone knows that would be a great help, and if it is the problem i would like to grab that one from your "bin of stagea spares" lol what else is in that bin out of interest?

:)

Thanks for that i had thought of that. Ill have to try to find it. That is the S1 fuse layout, i have a S2. But thanks for the thought. I already found the S2 one and know its not a fuse. Just need to find that relay..... if anyone knows that would be a great help, and if it is the problem i would like to grab that one from your "bin of stagea spares" lol what else is in that bin out of interest?

:)

Not much TBH - sold all the obvious stuff - just have some odd relays and sensors left.

the dash cluster (speedo etc) has the BCM inside it. that runs the the lights. there is also a smartentrance module next the the fusebox that also drives the lights. this is more for the S1 though.

the dash cluster (speedo etc) has the BCM inside it. that runs the the lights. there is also a smartentrance module next the the fusebox that also drives the lights. this is more for the S1 though.

BCM? I hav the cluster out nothing seams obvious or easily replaced for that matter. What's the control box look like? Black and too the left of fuse box by any chance?

I've got cluster out and appart. Nothing really seams to look like a control unit. Behind the cluster is the PE cell for auto head lights is the timer in there? I'm thinking not. I pulled out the black box next to the fuses , it's the bell for making annoying noises, is it in there? Other wise I'm in struggle town with our a map... :(

Ok. So on top of the fuse box is a white box which wen I pulled pulled out was able to continuity test out the wire from the door switch to its connector. It's a sealed unit with some holes on top (im thinking it has buzzer or something in it.

Not much TBH - sold all the obvious stuff - just have some odd relays and sensors left.

Ok I hav the white TCU (timing control unit) out of the car. I'm pretty sure it's what I need (looked up the part number was all in jap so google translated it) I'll try to put up a pic ( haven't done it before :)

it will say smart entrance on the side of it. they are common with R33 as well. that does the majority of the body stuff. the locks and lights also loop through the cluster. SE module is a possible culprit.

it will say smart entrance on the side of it. they are common with R33 as well. that does the majority of the body stuff. the locks and lights also loop through the cluster. SE module is a possible culprit.

Im not sure mine is the same? are you talking about S1 or S2? Mines S2 and i think it could be different. All the things you describe dont seam to be behind my dash bits? I found the TCU and looked it up on google, got a bunch of stuff in jap and russian but i translated it and it seams to be the part im looking for? It does the key in ignition and reversing tones, it also controls the door locks. Im kinda sure it does the interior light timing and a few other things, but not 100% My fuse box also has some relays on it but when i trace my door switch wires i can only get them back to the TCU....

Can't for the life of me remember which colour the box was, but it had a few wires going in (more than I expected) and covered all the beeping functions including reverse which I was trying to kill. It also seemed to control the remote start for my car.

there may be a few different boxes depending on series and options

Can't for the life of me remember which colour the box was, but it had a few wires going in (more than I expected) and covered all the beeping functions including reverse which I was trying to kill. It also seemed to control the remote start for my car.

there may be a few different boxes depending on series and options

Yes mines the same. It's white and has a small metal bracket on the side to bolt it in place above the fuse box. It does all the tones and locks etc and I'm pretty sure it does lights. Does any one know where I can get a new one from? Remote start sounds cool if I can get one with this :)

Ok so decided to give up on the control box. Too expensive and hard to find to care. So what I did (which was my original plan) was to hook up under dash and rear seat foot well lighting and do away with the control box and timer etc. If you have this problem and need it fixed the control box replacement will fix it. But in the process of doing my foot well lights I got rid of the annoying beeping, HOWEVER! It also gets rid of the "head lights on" tone and this could result in some flat battery's! Just remember to turn your lights off :) Ill put pics up of my lights tomorrow :)

• Thanks 1