SAU Community

Afm Vs Map

ARTZ

With all the ecus these days available running MAP...Is there benefits to still running AFMs...cause if there is I dont see them...MAP seems like a much more affordable and just as reliable option..as far as I know most new turbo cars run MAP as well now...

Why would people still be suggesting upgraded AFMS when the cost of them can be better put towards a better quality ECU..

Anyway I dont know much about these things so....Learn me something .......... :cheers:

Hardly old school vs new school - both have been around for a very long time. It's nothing new at all.

http://www.skylinesa...af-vs-map-ecus/

http://www.skylinesa...ors-vs-afm-ecu/

Just some of the many threads you can find by hitting the search button (there are PLENTY).

PFC/Nistune + AFM is cheaper than (insert brand) ECU + MAP sensor in almost every instance, hence bang for buck it's what people go with.

ok those threads you linked speak of PFCs for 860$..I hve never seen a new PFC anywhere near that, usually double...

but lets put it a different way...If I was to have an ECU that is both MAP and MAF compatible...forgetting about costs....which would you choose and why??

It helps if you can see into the future. I bought a Z32 afm and got a chippd ecu not knowing that it was the slippery slope that would lead to spending many thousands of dollars and getting an RB30 and a Link G4

ok those threads you linked speak of PFCs for 860$..I hve never seen a new PFC anywhere near that, usually double...

but lets put it a different way...If I was to have an ECU that is both MAP and MAF compatible...forgetting about costs....which would you choose and why??

Both methods have advantages/disadvatages... i think in that situations, it comes down to what your tuner is more comfatable with. In saying that though, MAFs aren't the most reliable sensors and i would be inclined to go with MAP for the added reliablity.

most gtr ones go for around that, bought mine for $750 with a hand controller

It helps if you can see into the future. I bought a Z32 afm and got a chippd ecu not knowing that it was the slippery slope that would lead to spending many thousands of dollars and getting an RB30 and a Link G4

the power slide (pun intented) is fun but an expensive process

But then 2 afms

$750 + $700

$1450 - still cheaper by what, $400 or so? :)

Anyway this sums it up perfectly:

Both methods have advantages/disadvatages... i think in that situations, it comes down to what your tuner is more comfatable with. In saying that though.

I took out the reliability comment about MAF's because lets face it - 10 years before new ones play up really, usually 15 years.

What most people do is purchase 2nd hand AFM's. 6 months later they have issues, it comes as no surprise at all.

MAP sensors are like AFM, just a sensor. So after 10-15 years they'd probably need replacement like all other things.

If I was to have an ECU that is both MAP and MAF compatible...forgetting about costs....which would you choose and why??

Motec + every sensor under the sun.

See you later $8000++

Silly question really. No-one has an endless budget for 99% of the applications in question on this forum.

yes i know most dont have an endless budget but if there is only a small difference like a couple of hundred its hardly a concern in the big scheme of things..

also after your 1450, if you still need a boost controller theres another 3-500$ gone...where alot of the newer ones have all these features inbuilt

AFM compensates for air temp as i said before.

AFM's can max out and/or fail but so can Map sensors

yes but we already solved this for less than 50$ with an IAT sensor...

what are the signs of a failing map sensor...bit of a worry considering mines inbuilt to the ecu...

I must admitt that compared to my old PFC, my Link G4 feels very good on light throttle applications as well as throttle response.. Dunno if that's placebo effect but I'm very happy with the link...

Got mine for around 1700 from memory with map sensor.

I also like the fact that if I blow off a pipe the car can still get me home without the cough and splutter

I removed my Motec M800 and all the goodies and replaced it with my old Pfc and Nizmo AFM's.

The only difference I noticed was that the car started easier with the Pfc lol.... :blink:

yes i know most dont have an endless budget but if there is only a small difference like a couple of hundred its hardly a concern in the big scheme of things..

also after your 1450, if you still need a boost controller theres another 3-500$ gone...where alot of the newer ones have all these features inbuilt

The feature - yes. The PFC also has that feature.

The physical solenoid - no.

You have to buy it in a lot of cases further adding to the costs in both cases (PFC and non-PFC). So i don't see how that's relevant.

MAC Solenoid cost me 50$

IAT cost me 40$

So in a nutshell, there really is no difference/benefits between running either MAF or MAP on your average 'line..other than maybe saving a few bucks

So what about big HP applications then, what are they running ??