SAU Community

R200 Longnose Diff With Short Nose Lsd Centre

steve200b

Hi

I thought I would put up my findings from looking into fitting a short nose R200 LSD into a long nose diff, After looking on the net I didn't find all the info I was after

The centre will fit etc, the problem is one of the R30 axels are to short to engage the LSD on one side, to use the short nose axel flange setup you will compromise the oil seal as they are a different diameter by a few millimetres.

My conclusion was to make it work I would need to spend some time on the lathe modifying the shaft etc and cost as much as a aftermarket centre. I decided to go with a Quaife centre and cost the same amount with no stress.

Enjoy

Steve

Was this using mr30 trailing arms? or hr30?

I'm also assuming you're talking about a factory viscous LSD too?

Viscous LSD's are mostly old and worn out now anyway, so I wouldn't bother with one.

But I can't see the oil seal problem being a costly issue. Was it possible to use the short nose seal in the long nose housing, to match the short nose flanges? If not, then turning up a pair of new oil seal rings for the short nose flanges shouldn't cost much. My local machinists would charge $50 or less for that.

If you are using mr30 trailing arms you will need to change the flange on there to match the larger cv's, either 4 bolt hr30 or make a 5 or 6 bolt one to match short nose cv's. Then use 4 x inner cv's with the appropriate flange on either hr30, z31 or custom shafts.

My conclusion is that it is possible with a bit of mucking around but only worth it for the right LSD center, I wouldn't bother with a viscous for any diff.

I was playing with a R32 clutch type centre with Z31 shafts, it is posable but I decided it wasn't worth my time. I thought I might share the finding as I wasn't able to get this info on the net. I just like to do things the long way around first then invest in good parts when I have had enough.

i was going to do the conversion my self but ended up buying a Cusco mz lsd from import monster for 500 fits the factory r200 cv from a dr30

model LSD162, only thing u need to do i to buy some reduces for the crown wheel holes from 12mm to 10mm but thats easy

• 3 months later...

Hey guys.

im doing a track day in my dr30 on sunday and my longnose r200 lsd has decided it wants to be 1 wheel drive! i have to pull it down tonight but i belive it is a nismo or cusco lsd (not fitted by me) if this is the case i naturally dont want to weld it! if its standard i may?? the reason im posting this here is that i have a ca18det shortnose lsd with shims complete and im trying to figure if there is someway i can use it? if the centres fit can i just weld the ca diff and use my r30 cv shafts? please give me some direction as diffs in general are far from my strong point!

as far as im aware every dr30 long nose is lsd, when mine started to peg one, i just replaced the original clutch packs, and added a extra four, theres a spacer in the hemi u remove to allow this, been working fine for a few years now, pre load was around 85 f/p by memory.

stwewart wilkins sells the upgraded ones btw

i looked at doing the same thing lots of stuffign around

ur better of going on import monster u can buy a Cusco Rs or MZ second hand center that fits factory R30 r200 cv for like $600 dleivered

ok so i took it apart tonight.. its a mechanical 2way unsure of brand?? the two outer most clutch plates on both sides have a concave bend to them which seemed odd (i was going to reassemble those plates the other way around..) other than that there appears to be no damage to it which is a little curious im lead to believe i may have the wrong oil in it (this all started when i changed the oil) anyone know what a mechanical 2 way should run?

and any other feed back and tips? anything i should look out for?

its not hard to set up a diff as long as u keep ur shins just like they came out and u dont stuff around the the pinion

So you have a VISCOUS LSD you have brought in from Japan for $600.00 and you're putting it in a long nose housing?????????