SAU Community

Requirement For Track Races

Skyline_shaq

Hi Guys!!

Im relatively very very new to the scene in Sydney and in Australia in general. Ive got a R33 GTST which i intend to work on and use for 1/4mile drags and possibly drifting later on.

At the moment it is stock standard (i know very rare to find one) and i intend to do mods starting from the basics like exhausts and to more intense stuff like front mounts bigger turbos and etccc.

My question is how can i build a car and use it on the tracks? i understand we wont be able to get any form of certification to drive it to the race track???

What all do i need to do here to get into the scene? do i have to be a member somewhere, pay extra rego?, always tow the car on a trailer?? how about drive days? how do i use the car if i wish to drive it on cruises?

Greatly appreciate if someone can get me started here.

Cheers,

Shaq

post-97349-0-17161900-1345769743_thumb.jpg

Hi Shakil,

You are best to start by joining a club like SAU NSW, there are details in this thread: http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/365434-s-a-u-n-s-w-club-membership-faq/

From there, you have a range of options depending on budget, time and enthusiasm

Entry level / club events: You would need either nothing, or just very basic safety gear like a fire extinguisher. In addition to the entry fee, some events require one of various licenses which you just pay for. This could include drag days, skidpans, drift days, supersprints like world time attack, motorkhanas etc etc. Most are very friendly events with a little competition between entrants, but nothing too serious.

State or National Supersprints or Hillclimbs, or a quick drag car: When you step up a little it is more serious. You may require more safety modifications (eg faster drag cars need roll cage and a blanket around the gearbox), or if you are looking at other events you may want to fit a roll cage. The rules tend to be stricter and more seriously enforced. Once you have a roll cage it is harder to keep the car road registered but many people do

Full door to door racing, tarmac rallies, dirt rallies: If you decide to go here you almost certainly need a dedicated race car, and budget starting at say $20k per annum for a couple of rounds in a NSW series.

Thanks guysfor responding especially Duncan for pointing out benefits of membership to SAU which im definitely considering.

As for races i wana start with 1/4mile drags and later into drifts.

So my car will require mods and these days it appears RTA or the cops arent too happy with modified cars on the road.

I want to modify it and use it as well. Especially be able to drive it to car shows n drags without getting booked

Mate you will be fine, you need to follow the RTA guidelines the best you can when modifying your car BUT you have a great car to modify and enjoy... My car is making awesome power and is legal Db, has all of the boxes ticked in terms of legality... I still need an engineers certificate though which you may need eventually....

If you want to drag race go to the WSID Wednesday off street drags, any car can enter and no race license needed :)

Next door you have Eastern Creek or Sydney Motorsport Park and there is plenty of drift etc happening there....

Join SAU NSW, best club ;)

Also, wanna thrash your car off street, you have events like powerplay on November 3 etc