SAU Community

Any Evo X Owners Here?

domino_z

Hi guys

Anyone here own or come from an Evo X?

I'm thinking about buying a new Evo X MR and using it as a daily driver

Looking for feedback on reliability, how well the interior holds up over time to creeks and rattles, any issues with unwanted attention, does every ricer give you the 'run me' stare at the lights, do i have to worry about where to park it etc

I went and drove one today and really liked it. It felt like a baby GTR. What blew me away was the grip on turn in and how fast it changes direction without fuss, it's about as darty as i remember an Exige feeling. The dual clutch is very smooth in auto mode and enough low down torque to get up to the speed limit quickly in higher gears, which is what i want in a daily

Equipement levels are extremely good for the money too - cornering xenons, bluetooth, nav, mp3, rain sensing wipers, full leather, reverse cam etc

Edited by domino_z

I have a IX and a X. The 9 is pretty much stock, it was my first car and I got it second hand it's got a few mods on it, just an exhaust and some intake mods, I didn't have much cash when I was starting out. Just keep in mind to service it regularly, otherwise you can loose power.

As for the 10, I think I recall winning it. It sat around my garage for a while, didn't get to drive it much, but after about 6 months I decided to throw some cash at it. After about $100 000 I had myself a winning car, very very fast. They're great cars, I recommend you get one.

Hi guys

Looking for feedback on reliability, how well the interior holds up over time to creeks and rattles, any issues with unwanted attention, does every ricer give you the 'run me' stare at the lights, do i have to worry about where to park it etc

I went and drove one today and really liked it. It felt like a baby GTR. What blew me away was the grip on turn in and how fast it changes direction without fuss, it's about as darty as i remember an Exige feeling. The dual clutch is very smooth in auto mode and enough low down torque to get up to the speed limit quickly in higher gears, which is what i want in a daily

Equipement levels are extremely good for the money too - cornering xenons, bluetooth, nav, mp3, rain sensing wipers, full leather, reverse cam etc

Evo X's are good, infact the 2013 MR RRP (new) has dropped about $8.9k under revised pricing (http://www.themotorr...res-lower-price) - and for $65k you do get a fair amount of bang for your buck. I've driven my mate's 2010 Evo X and I seriously disagree that it has Exige feel (I own a 2011 Exige S BTW), the Evo X at 1600kgs is no match for the very agile 980kg Exige especially on corner turn in and exit....

Power wise, the Mitsu 2.0ltr motors are good for about 220kwatw, but the DSG clutches max out around 440-450Nm torque. Any more and the tranny's can give you a headache. The 5 speed manual is a far better option if you decide to mod down the line, but of course not offered in MR flavour..

The interior is a bit shopping cart like. Low quality plastics (exactly the same as whats used in the Lancer VR, VRX, etc), and the door colour vs dash colour doesnt seem to match in direct sunlight (the dash is somewhat a blue black plastic, vs the doors which are black black - these parts probably sourced from different suppliers) which did my head in the first time I sat in one...

When the 2009 model came out I actually had $$'s down on one, but switched to a Subaru STi Spec R hatch. The STi certainly didn't have the road feel like the Evo X in stock form, but after switching out to a smaller DamD flat bottom steering wheel, that was made better, as well as basic mods such as a Sydney made Hitech ceramic coated turbo back exhaust + K&N drop in replacement filter + Ezyflash tune putting 195kW/510Nm at the wheels - IMO the STi was much more fun being able to DCCD bias the rear and get it stepped out around round-a-bouts :woot: and the interior is cleaner with hard wearing plastics (Spec R recaros are brilliant but not for fatties) and the 6 speed box is indestructable....

Don't get me wrong, the Evo X is a great car. As a daily, a family sedan, and something to beat off the usual ricer band wagon, they go well - they go very well

Edited by Wardski

Hi guys

buy martins, i would have if i could have a month ago.

Thank for the info guys

Martins car looks like a good buy. I'm not a used car buyer though so a new one is only option for me. Plus I already have one Japanese super soft cleared black car that tests all my hobbiest detailer skills

The newer cars have a slightly better interior in terms of plastic quality, trim details (colour centre display for eg) and equipment. I was actually surprised it was that good, much better than the current impreza's. The door cards are very thin though, no where to elbow lean, but doors shut with a solid enough feel

I don't think I'd mod it like I have the GTR, just a cat back jdm exhaust, intake and tune (Martin I'm assuming you have the remap thing covered on these). And only because the stock sound is too flat below 5k rpm. As soon as you mod a car it becomes compromised in some way, and the whole point of a daily is to be able to get in and just go

How is it received though, am I going to get hassled by teens and cops? Do I have to worry about it getting singled out in a carpark?

I've had a chat with some senior mitsu friends regarding the price drop reported, as that was the main reasons for re-igniting my interest in an Evo x,but it's not as simple as wiping 8k off the driveway price. The current msrp is 74k so just under 80 on road. Mitsu Japan offer bonuses to dealers which they already use to drop the price, hence there's a handful of new cars advertised at 69-71k driveway. What mitsu AUS will be doing for 2013 cars arriving in 2013 is remove these bonuses entirely. So basically you'll still end up with the same driveway price. It's also not confirmed yet, but rather leaked to a couple motor journos

Either way I'm not fussed as a car currently sitting on a dealers showroom is a better car to negotiate on than one arriving in 6 months time

At the start of the year I bought a 12 fj cruiser to bum around in, I've spent some time mod'ing it to look tougher, and I love the fact I can go and park it anywhere, but ultimately I miss having a sporty car to drive everyday

Edited by domino_z

Thank for the info guys

Martins car looks like a hood buy. I'm not a used car buyer though so a new one is only option for me. Plus I already have one Japanese super soft cleared black car that tests all my hobbiest detailer skills

The newer cars have a slightly better interior in terms of plastic quality, trim details (colour centre display for eg) and equipment. I was actually surprised it was that good, much better than the current impreza's. The door cards are very thin though, no where to elbow lean, but doors shut with a solid enough feel

I don't think I'd mod it like I have the GTR, just a cat back jdm exhaust, intake and tune (Martin I'm assuming you have the remap thing covered on these). And only because the stock sound is too flat below 5k rpm. As soon as you mod a car it becomes compromised in some way, and the whole point of a daily is to be able to get in and just go

How is it received though, am I going to get hassled by teens and cops? Do I have to worry about it getting singled out in a carpark?

I've had a chat with some senior mitsu friends regarding the price drop reported, as that was the main reasons for re-igniting my interest in an Evo x,but it's not as simple as wiping 8k off the driveway price. The current msrp is 74k so just under 80 on road. Mitsu Japan offer bonuses to dealers which they already use to drop the price, hence there's a handful of new cars advertised at 69-71k driveway. What mitsu AUS will be doing for 2013 cars arriving in 2013 is remove these bonuses entirely. So basically you'll still end up with the same driveway price. It's also not confirmed yet, but rather leaked to a couple motor journos

Either way I'm not fussed as a car currently sitting on a dealers showroom is a better car to negotiate on than one arriving in 6 months time

At the start of the year I bought a 12 fj cruiser to bum around in, I've spent some time mod'ing it to look tougher, and I love the fact I can go and park it anywhere, but ultimately I miss having a sporty car to drive everyday. So the fj will go up on carsales soon.

Trying to think what else is comparable in that 60-70k segment. Definitely not interested in a fwd hatch, the 370z is too compromised, any hot golf would make me fall asleep behind the wheel. Only other option is to go completely left field with a clubby wagon

can you PM be photo's and details of your FJ. ill be looking at one soon. what did you think of it to live with?

for memory martins also had the TI exhaust and e85 tune too. so mods without loosing drivability are def there for the taking

I'm a big fan of e85 on my r35, clean running especially

But I dont want to have to change injectors and pumps like I did on the GTR. Basically I don't want it turning into a money pit

Re fj I'm putting it up on carsales today, I'll send you the link. It's a great 4wd, rock solid Toyota reliability and drivetrain. What sold me was the long thin windscreen. It's a really cool and unique feeling from behind the wheel

Mine is white with all the silver exterior trim replaced with the oem Toyota USA black parts, bf Goodrich tyres, true bi-xenon projector headlights done by lightwerkz.net, oem roof rack, side rails, aux lights, front bottom shield, euro style soft led interior pool lighting etc. i even have the roof bar and 4 piaa spotties new in box i havent installed yet. I've built it look identical to the US trail teams spec http://www.cartype.com/pics/4551/full/toyota_fj-cruiser_trail_teams_special_edition_show2.jpg

Edited by domino_z

I came from an SST X (exhaust, tuned by Martin, lowered, brakes, rear swaybar etc etc) to the GT-R

The first thing that your going to notice is how much better the SST box is over the GT-Rs tranmission, especially having the 3 modes - normal, sport and f%$^ing crazy sport !

Dont expect any oversteer - ever, unless you use the handbrake.

Quality - excellent, never had a single issue with mine -ever.

Never had hoons wanting to race me, nor did it get any unwanted attention.

Resale value is F&^%#ing crap though ! I Almost couldn't give it away in the end.

but have you thought about a 1M?

Edited by turboadam

I recently sold my e46 m3 convert - I'm a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to M cars, and the turbo fad (especially since the 1M is a remapped 135) just doesn't do it for me

Id choose a c63 coupe over a 1M, but then I've already had a c63 sedan daily and no point doubling up with the SLS in the garage

Plus the obvious reason the Evo is a lot cheaper to buy and own -$160 capped servicing, even the major fluid change

I remember when doing the Mt Baw Baw sprint in Feb (ambient no greater than 14c), there was EVO X there. Stock, small km's on it & just semi comps on & it didn't last longer than 6mins in the tight hills before the transmission overheated and the car shut itself down and went into limp mode to protect itself.

Just something to be mindful of as it would appear they do not like a solid amount of work at all if you like to go for a bit of a drive on a weekend, you'll need to attend to the transmission cooling even in a stocker format. Have a google, you'll soon see that it's almost one of the first mods a lot of people do :thumbsup:

EvoX is bulletproof.

The transmissions are extremely reliable, and the engines are tough as nails. They are the most durable DCT arrangement we have come across, and take that from somoeone that has empirically tested wear samples from the cars across a few years now. We have/have had 3 x EvoX SST cars in our test fleet, and raced them thoroughly with great success, so we know what we are on about.

As far as overheating transmissions are concerned, the EvoX would have to be the most myth filled and imbecile maligned car on the internet. Just like GTRs the transmissions measure slip, and when programmed incorrectly, modified incorrectly, and serviced incorrectly they will slip and generate 'Overheat' errors. Of course in most cases - just the the GTR - the transmission isnt hot at all. Folks in the EvoX world havent really grasped that if you get the above right, and remove the front foglight that covers 50%-60% of the big factory SST cooler that you can lap all day even on 30+ degree days without an issue.

How do we know this? Because we have done it - many times. Here is our WR330 track EvoX getting it a bit loose. Its around 3-4 seconds per lap faster than a typical bolt-on tuned R35 at our local track to put it into perspective.

mg_1531.jpg

As you might have worked out, we like EvoX :)

great to know there is aftermarket support there from the Willall team Martin

what do you use to ecu tune? cobb?

what are they putting down stock at the wheels? and what power can i see with an intake, catback and tune?

Edited by domino_z

i have 2 good mates that both have Evo X's, blue and a white one. I don't know much about them but i know that the guys are totally in love with their cars. I have sat in them a couple times and the interior quality and finish is amazing. The factory seats are comfy as hell and i love all the gadgets. Oh and also they both run high 12's down the strip, these are seriously quick cars!

Both my mates have had their cars for probably 12+ months between the 2 and they've never had any problems with police but they do get a fair bit of race car driver attention, but that's just Mackay.. every 2nd person has a V8.

great to know there is aftermarket support there from the Willall team Martin

what do you use to ecu tune? cobb?

what are they putting down stock at the wheels? and what power can i see with an intake, catback and tune?

Here is some info for you Domino. Hope its not breaking forum rules cross posting.....

http://www.gsr-evo-club.net/viewtopic.php?f=129&t=14024

ended up buying a new grey MR

i like the sound of the entry level kit you offer, but can i use e85 without needing to change pumps and injectors???

will be ordering the fujitsubo catback then you'll have to work your tuning magic on it Martin. Any other easy bolt ons that will take advantage of the tune?

don't want to do turbo back exhaust as it'll be too loud on the highway - it's already sitting at 2500rpm at 100 km/h in 6th

Edited by domino_z

• 3 weeks later...