SAU Community

Earls Oil Cooler Problem

NXTIME

I have had 2 new Earl's oil coolers crack on my car recently and was wondering if anyone else has had this issue. Earls have told me that this never happens (no surprise at that response), and replaced the oil cooler immediately after the first one cracked.

They have both cracked on the inlet side where the end tank joins between the fin rows.

Had Earls look at the cooler as they claimed it was an "installation problem". We have insisted that it isn't and is more tjhan likely a defective product as it is mounted solidly and has Earls braided hose throughout with enough play in them. After they had a look at it on the car they have agreed to replace it again...but I am not confident after two failures.

Will more than likely switch to another brand.

I have a Setrab core as well (with Earls thermostat) but with all coolers it is important to put a spanner on the fitting attached to the cooler to hold it while you wind your hose fitting on.

Yes, Setrab and Mocal are what I will be replacing mine with. Once again, it isn't a fitment issue.

Just wondering if anyone else has had a product issue with Earls oil coolers.

Yes, Setrab and Mocal are what I will be replacing mine with. Once again, it isn't a fitment issue.

Just wondering if anyone else has had a product issue with Earls oil coolers.

Earls makes some of the best , (oldest company)most tested products on the market for cars, aircraft etc , they certify use on aircraft ,

you have install problem !!

The weight or angle on the braided lines is such that its cracking overtime , do you have rubber grommets in metal pass thru ? And p clips holding the lines along the path ? is the cooler mounted in rubber like its supposed to be ?? or overtightend joint stressed the connection on install they dont require massive crankdowns to seal

Carbon 34, have you even read any of my posts?

I am well aware of Earls and who they are and what they do - that is why I have their oil cooler and new lines throughout my car.

And once again, Earls sent out a technician to inspect the oil cooler on the car and they have effectively said that it isn't an installation issue, and have offered to replace it (again).

The first time it cracked the car had not even been driven and was still in the workshop. The second time it had been driven off-boost for 30 mins only.The coolers have cracked on the joins on one end of the tank. There is no strees there at all. It looks like a product manufacturing fault.

Just trying to see if this issue has occured with anyone else as I have now lost confidence in their oil coolers.

It was actually NYTSKY: http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/210351-nytskys-engine-build/page__view__findpost__p__6259366

But it looks like it was the Earl's fittings not the oil cooler?

Find that so hard to believe , in racing and aicraft

Use myself on race cars and my dads mechanic days , never a failure that i remember unless it was crossthreaded or tightened without proper tool for fittings , its made in USA still not china or asia

but who knows , I'll leave you guys to ponder it

Only reason I have a hybrid oil cooler from mocal and setrab and earls is cost of aeromotive/ earls is steep in australia , rocket industry sells it here

Mate how much oil pressure do you have when its cold? Also what pressure does the pump relief spring open? Ive had issues with coolers leaking/spitting above 100psi (7bar +) NEARLY ALL oil coolers/cores come from china now days as do fittings, PWR used to do the same (source from china) but after similar issues they are one of very few who DONT use chinese crap . One particular GTR busted a HKS an EARLS then a PWR (old type) then Paul Weel from PWR gave me one of there new one's and its been good as gold.. No i didnt lower oil pressure. Ive never seen an engine die from too much oil pressure!!! You should also use rubber mounts but im sure that not using any is not your problem. Earls maybe the oldest Co. But they also sell the worst designed fittings.. There's not a professional motorsport team on the planet that would use EARLS fittings even if they got them for free!!! BMRS,Goodridge,I-Core,Wiggans but theyre dear as F*&%!!!!

Mate how much oil pressure do you have when its cold? Also what pressure does the pump relief spring open? Ive had issues with coolers leaking/spitting above 100psi (7bar +) NEARLY ALL oil coolers/cores come from china now days as do fittings, PWR used to do the same (source from china) but after similar issues they are one of very few who DONT use chinese crap . One particular GTR busted a HKS an EARLS then a PWR (old type) then Paul Weel from PWR gave me one of there new one's and its been good as gold.. No i didnt lower oil pressure. Ive never seen an engine die from too much oil pressure!!! You should also use rubber mounts but im sure that not using any is not your problem. Earls maybe the oldest Co. But they also sell the worst designed fittings.. There's not a professional motorsport team on the planet that would use EARLS fittings even if they got them for free!!! BMRS,Goodridge,I-Core,Wiggans but theyre dear as F*&%!!!!

Haha really , earls is used by nearly every racing team , the fastest drag cars , F1 you name it

It is also used on just about every jet aircraft in use , do you think airlines would use crap and let planes million dollar engines fail from oil lines

Or military jets dropping out of the sky

Earls is still made in USA not sourced in asia and rebranded

they designed the braided ss line in 60's if it was crap do you think they would be around still??

all the oil coolers are pressure tested to 175psi and random line samples burst pressure tested to 350psi

They cost a bunch because the stuff is good and wages in usa is more the china ? Product quality costs money .

Nfi what your talking about

Haha really , earls is used by nearly every racing team , the fastest drag cars , F1 you name it

It is also used on just about every jet aircraft in use , do you think airlines would use crap and let planes million dollar engines fail from oil lines

Or military jets dropping out of the sky

Earls is still made in USA not sourced in asia and rebranded

they designed the braided ss line in 60's if it was crap do you think they would be around still??

all the oil coolers are pressure tested to 175psi and random line samples burst pressure tested to 350psi

They cost a bunch because the stuff is good and wages in usa is more the china ? Product quality costs money .

Nfi what your talking about

You must be selling EARL's.......... As for Earl's in F1? I may be wrong as im not 100% certain that Mclaren or Ferrari dont use Earl's on their lawn mowers or scooters... As for used in airplanes etc i think you'll find that they use a similar type of system on pre 1980's planes... This technology went from planes to cars not the other way around. Earl's also sell predomenantly forged fittings which do not flow aswell as a tube/speedflow style fitting. Back on topic the OP should use a Mocal,Setrab or PWR IMO....

You must be selling EARL's.......... As for Earl's in F1? I may be wrong as im not 100% certain that Mclaren or Ferrari dont use Earl's on their lawn mowers or scooters... As for used in airplanes etc i think you'll find that they use a similar type of system on pre 1980's planes... This technology went from planes to cars not the other way around. Earl's also sell predomenantly forged fittings which do not flow aswell as a tube/speedflow style fitting. Back on topic the OP should use a Mocal,Setrab or PWR IMO....

Muppet , pre 80's really , the crap was designed for ww2 aircraft rolls royce engines overheating

speedflow is fine , cheaper and australian made , distributed by rocket who also sell earls from usa

didnt mention mocal or other brands just earls is far from junk if used right

And no i dont sell it but have used it for damn near 36 years

Go back to playing angry birds

I think the comments regarding the quality of Earls products are a little unfounded; they are definitely a top quality product that are used by many serious racing teams world wide - just ask Risking on here, he has set up a number of serious time attack cars with Earls products.

Not saying there is or isn't an issue with their oil coolers, there might well be. But saying Earls is a rubbish brand is like saying Borg Warner are a rubbish brand because they had manufacturing issues with their EFR range.

• 2 weeks later...