SAU Community

Need tyres that grips in wet...?

RTHRTY3

i just had Yokohama A539's fitted, and they seem to work very adequately. No slip in wet/dry at all yet. at $212 (now 199, grrrr) they were pretty reasonable i thought.... well, compared to Sava Intensa's they are fantasitc, but what do you expect?

Goodyear F1's are the worst tyres in the wet, they grip well when they're cold in the wet, but once they warm up you'll be sliding all over the place. They also tramline pretty bad.

Federal Tyres is developed by Sumitomo Rubber Industries Ltd. Japan

Federal Tyres is developed by Sumitomo Rubber Industries Ltd. Japan

That can't be a good thing then if the crap Sumitomo brand tyres I have is any indication.

Cheers

Latest Goodyear Eagle F1 have a AA wet braking rating and seem pretty good compared to the others I have used on the rear. Also Continental SportContact on front were good at my last race with nice feel and predictable breakaway. I pay $100 per tyre so go through them quick with an agressive setup. Combination was better than Pirelli P6000

All in 17's 235 front and 255 rear

thanks for the replies guys. at the moment i'm looking at the bridgestone SO series and the Toyo. As it being for my stock 15" i wouldn't wanna spend much on it cause i might swap it later for 17" when i get the money together. So yea my budget would be no more than around $120 - $130 per tyre. Have anyone use the Maxis MAV1, is that any good?

Cheers

I have a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's on my GTR at the moment. Done about 7,000kms on them and they are wearing very well. Don't know what funky is on about though, from my experience they are awesome in the wet regardless of how hot they are. Very confident of them in the wet, never feels slippery or aquaplaney.. They do tramline a bit, but I think most tyres over 245 size do that to a degree, GTR's i've heard are notorious for it too...

They are exxy but I was given wrong info on load ratings when I was looking which dictated me getting expensive tyres.. Still I'm more than happy with them..

Brett

I've heard some unpleasant things about RE540s in the wet. Some of the boys from here have them and are not impressed with their wet weather handling. Looking at the tread pattern (or lack thereof) doesn't surprise me!!!! ha ha ha

The Eagles are good while straight driving in the wet, however when cornering they don't grip as well as my current tyre a set of Michelin Pilots. When cornering the Eagles tend to make the back slide a lil bit more than the Pilots. I have a S bend at the end of my road which I go thru at about 45 in the wet and about 60 when dry usually. The Eagles require a lot more control than the Pilots where I can trust the tyre to grip.

I still have Eagles on the front tyres and Pilots on the back, so far this set up I've found to be the best, the Pilots weren't as good as the Eagles on the front tyres... I don't know why.

I based the Eagles not working too well when hot on the fact that under heavy braking they'll grip for a while (5 seconds) then screech like crazy. After that every time I did any heavy braking they refuse to grip (I assume because they are now hot).

EVLR33, your friends are on crack.

I've done hillclimbs, cruises, autokhana's etc with 540's and they are brilliant, especially when on heat. Hell we even did Targa on 540's in 2000 and they were fantastic. As for tread, ever seen a new 540? tons of it :D

Not having a dig but those views you posted go against everyone elses i've heard on them

Can only go by what I'm told, and yes they are apparently pretty awesome in the dry, but as I said a few people I know aren't as happy about the wet weather performance. Personal opinion I guess differs greatly regarding what people class as good or bad performing tyres..

Regarding the tread, i meant that it's pretty much a slick tyre with a few grooves cut into it, nothing like a conventional wet weather tyre. And because of that I assumed they wouldn't be so great..

I got GT Radial Champiro 45 and i've been advised by SST and Xtreme AUtosport that they suck bad in the wet and i gotta agree after the nice downpoor last week.

Crap $800 out of pocket