SAU Community

Best Way To Improve Exhaust Sound?

Cev

Wondering what the simplest way to improve exhaust sound would be? Open to replacing whole exhaust system / buying catback with Cannon tip or similar ~ just want to have a decent sounding n/a without having to go turbs (literally JUST got P plates, despite having driven for 4+ years).

Cheers in advance.

Change the tip. Some are bolt on, most are welded on so it may be harder to change. I wouldn't go doing much more than that with an NA. I had the same car as you and it's not worth doing anything on a NA.

Decat isn't worth the issues (read: big ass fine) you'll get from the cops if they catch you out. And being on ur ps ull get pulled over... A lot.

Best way, go to ur local exhaust shop and ask for a mandrel bent 2 1/2 inch system out of mild steel with a resonator and an oval (not canon style) rear muffler.

1. It won't be legal db wise (legal noise is practically silent)

2. It won't net you huge power gains

3. Please learn to use the search function as this has been answered many times before

4. Don't come back in A months time and complain that it's Droney, audibly loud natro skylines will be Droney on the highway, don't like it keep it quiet it's as simple as that.

Edited by Nikk_666

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Change the tip. Some are bolt on, most are welded on so it may be harder to change. I wouldn't go doing much more than that with an NA. I had the same car as you and it's not worth doing anything on a NA.

I got a catback on mine, not too loud, not too expensive, a little bit of headturning is enough for an N/A :P

These ^^^ speak well.

• 2 weeks later...

I run stock compliance cat then 2x hotdogs then stock muffler with a 3" tip welded to it and it's LOUD

Never had issue with cops never had a epa issue.

This is a light drive off didn't give it much but in high revs it sings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wqrOdMyasI

Edited by brat81

My advice for N/A is to start with a cat back exhaust into a cannon (or whatever exhaust tip you prefer). Realistically you don't want anything larger than a 2 1/2" system. For obvious reasons 3"+ is the recommendation for turbo'd skylines due to needing more flow. Anything larger you will start to get a 'drowny' sound.

Advantages of the cat back are:

1. Less expensive than a full system

2. Loud/head turning, but not obnoxiously loud to attract unwanted attention.

3. You get to change the tip to suit your liking and the cars looks whilst getting a performance increase

4. Once you build up the funds, you can then add the rest of the exhaust system at a later date (Extractors, high flow cat etc...) without changing from the cat back.

• 1 month later...

Where abouts Melbourne to you live? In the southern suburbs theres a place called dande exhausts that offered to fit a full custom catback exhaust for my cousings r34 n/a for 400 dollars (with options for a variety of exhaust tips). Unless you wanted something a bit more cheaper. You could probably shop around and find other places, but ive had some good services done by these guys. You can also as suggested fit a canon, but talking from personal experience, you dont want to do that, its loud, drowny, and slow =='. Either get a catback or leave it stock.

You can also try AVO however they fit enthusiast grade performance parts, im talking hks, 5zigen, apexi n1 evolutions exhaust systems, etc, $1100 + 350 for a custom cai, they also do a dyno run for 400. Given an estimated 15-20rwkw tops from an avo staff memeber for my n/a r33.

You guys seem to run HUGE exhaust pipes for a 2.5L N/A motor.

Think about it, the commodore guys running 3.6 and 3.8L motors run a 2.5"

I'd drop back to a 2.25" if I were you, it'll probably help remove drone also!

Aftermarket exhausts on your run of the mill rb natros are a "for noise only" affair

Rb n/as are factory fitted with 2.5inch exhausts. Only way to get rid of a drone is to use a silencer or get a proper exhaust.

Edit: or leave it stock

I thought they were 2 1/4 factory?

Nope 2.5 inch, I remember because i bought a cannon ( 2.5 inch inlet) which welded straight onto my exhaust without a problem. Im not sure if all the N/As have it though? Might vary between series 1 and series 2, r33 and r34 etc..

Edit: My r33 is the n/a model which came with 149kw from factory not 140.

Edited by Deza3000

NA rb's most certainly do NOT come with 2.5" standard. unless you bought your car new from nissan you can't say that it has the stock exhaust. more than likely your car has the exhaust from a turbo r33, which run 2.5" standard. and make sure you measure inside diameter, as that is what they use when measuring exhaust size.

as for 2.5L exhaust size vs 3.8L exhaust size, you have to take into account the rev range of the car as well. obviously a smaller engine that revs higher will flow similar amounts of exhaust gas at high rpm, but at the lower rev range it will flow less. the wider the rev range, the harder it is to get an exhaust size right. 2.5" is probably good for a 2.5L engine if you are going to spend a lot of time at high rpm, but if you only cruise around at lower rpm then it will drone like a mofo (as most people find out), as well as not flow as great as a smaller diameter pipe (so give you a bit less torque).