SAU Community

Ebay Turbo Timer?

hey guys.

I'm looking at getting a turbo timer and i'd always thought they were in the price range around $100, so im a little surprised at the prices i've come across on ebay.

One item particularly is a HKS turbo timer and im wondering if it's fake due to the low cost or if it's a genuine HKS turbo timer and if this would be worth getting.

Another thing im interested in is the turbo timer advertises that it can automatically set perfect idle times for you, im wondering if anyone can validate that this is true?

Also, are turbo timers generic and fit to every car? I need to fit it to a turbo R34.

The item link:

http://www.ebay.com....984.m1423.l2649

Thanks.

I really want to take care of my car and as such i idle it to cool down whenever i've been giving it a bit and even if i haven't i still give it about 30 seconds of idle time.

I'd just rather cut out the time i have to spend waiting for it.

Don't drive like a hoon for the last 5 minutes of your journey. Job done. What about brake temps and every other fluid in the car? ( I know it's not like your diff and box will get extremely hot on the street, but the point still stands)

I am aware it doesn't have any additional benefits to the car, but it prevents me having to sit in the car and leave it idling for a minute.

Which has been annoying many of my mechanically impaired friends who are like 'JUST TURN IT OFF!'

Which has been annoying many of my mechanically impaired friends who are like 'JUST TURN IT OFF!'

They don't sound that impaired unless you've been flogging it. The system is designed to circulate coolant through the turbo after the engine has stopped.

Plus you can't leave it in gear which would suck on a hill and probably annoys your neighbours if it had a loud exhaust. Save your money!

I read in the owner manual that if you have been driving over 80km/h for a long time, you should give it about 1 minute.

if 100km/h u should give it 2 minutes.

something like, heavy boosting and hard time, 5 minutes.

+1 to all the above.

I got one against all advice back when I first turbocharged my car. If I could go back, I'd flick myself in the nut for it. They're farkin annoying. Honestly, I've got a genuine Apexi one and if I could be bothered removing it, I'd give it to you 100% free.

Edited by Hanaldo

I read in the owner manual that if you have been driving over 80km/h for a long time, you should give it about 1 minute.

if 100km/h u should give it 2 minutes.

something like, heavy boosting and hard time, 5 minutes.

Show me this.

a few minutes of insurance wont hurt it, i use mine when its cold too, set it to 3mins idle, what happens when the mechanic flogs it and then turns it off at the garage?

Edited by SliverS2

Hanaldo, it's in a printed off owners manual that came with the car.

But it's 100% in there, the minutes might be incorrect, but definitely has an idling time for 80km/h, 100km/h and something else such as 100+

a few minutes of insurance wont hurt it, i use mine when its cold too, set it to 3mins idle, what happens when the mechanic flogs it and then turns it off at the garage?

Get a mechanic you trust or do it yourself.

Don't take it to a mechanic :P Or get an ecu where you can set the rev limit yourself ;)

Seriously though, why do people like to idle their car so much? Engines don't operate efficiently when they are idling.

Yeah I bought one off eBay for my mate. Turned out to be fake, wouldn't trust ebay items for that price just grab one from a legitimate site.

I have one in my car, doesn't hurt to have one, got mine form hi octane for about $100.

Yeah I bought one off eBay for my mate. Turned out to be fake, wouldn't trust ebay items for that price just grab one from a legitimate site.

I have one in my car, doesn't hurt to have one, got mine form hi octane for about $100.

Yeh this isn't really correct. Aside from it being yet another thing that can go wrong, you guys do know that idling isn't good for your car yeh? I mean yes, idling for 30 seconds to cool it down isn't going to kill the motor. But it isn't saving it either. It's doing nothing good, which means the tiny bit of bad that it does makes it a bad idea.

But hey, I digress. Here I am preaching about it while mine is still in my car, albeit NOT FARKIN WORKING.

Edited by Hanaldo