SAU Community

Fresh Build Blowby - Tuner Halted Tune

murrayis

Deadly serious. Ventilation like that can be caused by a number of different reasons. Anything that runs methanol is going to vent like that and a lot that run E85 will also. It doesn't necessarily indicate there is a problem.

70% of our tuning is e85 and we dont see that unless the engine is built to loose.

70% of our tuning is e85 and we dont see that unless the engine is built to loose.

It's pretty hard to build a loose engine.

Poor catch can setup, poor ventilation in general and lack of a PCV valve can all contribute to breathing like that (visual smokiness).

The vapor coming from most breather filters is mainly steam. You can see the 'smoke' doesn't make it more than about 3 inches away from the filter before it dissipates.

Paul's pretty anal with his clearences when he builds an engine....

Thanks guys, ill give the tuner a call this morning. I did think it was odd tp tale 2 hours that low on an engine that needs running in.

Was there any blow-by before you took it to the tuner?

im pretty sure this tuner is the one that told me i needed a surge tank and 2* 044pumps to run ethanol and make 300kw, so i never used them. How many tuners would even put the car on the dyno until it was atleast idling? from what ive seen its too expensive to have a car sitting and not being actually tuned.

Lol yes well I hold judgement and don't point fingers

You don't need to point fingers. Just tell him to run it in, not f**k around with the idle on a very fresh engine.

#1 way to kill a brand new engine = idle

When you say 5 year build how long was the engine sitting after build before you started it? It does look more like steam than smoke...take breather tank out n see if any water/condensation is visible..You need to get a bore scope and look inside before any hard running IMO....

Im under the impression that you dont want to idle car at all on initial start up, you need to load it up as soon as possible to ensure you get good piston ring and bore seal, if you dont load it up you will not get the "sweet piston ring/bore/hone seal" that is needed and you will lose any hope of getting it later as you will have worn down the hone.

My boat was run in hard on the dyno then the next day it went to the drags, that was two years ago and its still going strong after a heap of track days/supersprints/drags.

A old mate of mine use to race his bike (2 stroker) and he also rebuilt his engine, he would swap out the piston and ring and hone the bore, he would then thrash the hell out of it straight away, it never had a issue.

Starting up cars/bikes/any motor because "its been sitting for a while" is the worst thing you can do to a motor, you can prep them for long stints of inactivity which will be 100 x better.