SAU Community

L24 Non Starter

coupe72001

I am trying to start an L24 that's been in a barn for a long time. It cranks like a champ but won't fire.

I appear to have excellent spark at the coil and plugs.

The fuel pump appears to be pumping fuel when I turn the key and the carby inspection window shows the carby is halfway full of fuel (topped up with new fuel).

I have checked the timing, and with number one at TDC the cam sprocket notch is lined up with the timing marker on the head.

Err... what have I missed?

A bunch of bent valves is all I can think of - Ill have to do a compression test when I have a helper. Other suggestions?

Oil is gross, but I wanted to get it running prior to flush.

Carby is probably made of spiders and dirt, but I thought it would fire, then just run like rubbish. I'll dump some cleaner in a can into it and see how we go. I have a handful of other carbies I can try as well.

I think among other things that there is actually a problem with the ignition barrel. The car actually sounds like it's running, but when you release the key (to on) you get an instant stall.

Anyone got a spare barrel I can test with? PM me and we can sort something out.

Check the fuse's, I blew one years ago and it would only run when key was on start, but died as soon as you stopped cranking.

If they are all good, grab a can of aerostart and give it a spray and she if she runs.

I think among other things that there is actually a problem with the ignition barrel. The car actually sounds like it's running, but when you release the key (to on) you get an instant stall.

Check the fusible links.

It's a 240K. Not having much luck getting the brake light in the dash to come on under key, although it is 'running' kind of...

I pulled apart the ignition barrel and tried starting with a screw driver but as soon as the key is released all the way to ON it's an instant stall. If I turn the switch to start, then release it halfway to ON it runs (seemingly not off the starter, but under own power), but ON is a no go.

Fuses and fusible links (and wiring I guess) sounds about right Gordie, hopefully there is a dud in there. Will start swapping.

Hanging out to carby clean/oil change, but it's a bit easier with the car running. Fingers crossed.

So, I got the car to run using a hot wire from + on battery to + on coil.

I cleaned the carby well, and dumped the sludge and exchanged it with oil. I replaced filters as well.

However, I still can't get the car to run without the hot wire. I don't have 12V on the red/black wire that runs from ignition switch to + on the coil when the switch is in the 'on' position. I cleaned up fuses and links etc and then actually tested the switch with a multimeter and couldn't make a circuit with the key in the 'on' position. Maybe the switch is from another model Datsun and the logic is wrong.

More likely my logic is wrong.

• 1 month later...