SAU Community

Oil Filter Trouble!

adicted2boost

Hey everyone,

To start this is embarrassing that I even have to post about this but, apparently I'm not the only one with this problem according to other forums.

Yesterday I did some much needed maintenance to my recently bought GTR. I changed out the brake pads, turned the rotors and replaced the HKS air filters. I also ATTEMPTED to change my oil... When it came time to swap out the oil filter, I spent 3.5 hours trying to the get the old one off. I used three different styles of oil filter wrenches and neither of them did the trick. When I could actually get both my hand and the wrench down there to torque it off, it would just dent and puncture the filter. The filter now looks like a soup can that someone kicked off of a cliff and screwed it onto the side of my rb26 lol. I'm out of ideas. Contemplating taking off the air plenum and possibly retorting the wires and hoses that are surrounding the filter of possible to make future oil changes easier.

Ideas or similar experiences? :/

Did an oil change on my rb26 last weekend and took around 20 mins to get the oil filter off (the previous owner put it on way too tight to start with). I used one of these to loosen it before taking it off by hand:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/310412369864?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_2240wt_1099

Worked like a charm.

Best thing you've learned is to ignore suggestions unless they're from a 32 GTR owner.

GTSt's guys have no idea what it's like.

Even 33 GTR owners have it easier, no HICAS valve bank on the chassis rail.

Screwdriver........tell him he's dreaming.

Conventional strap type tools are useless. Even if you actually get one on the filter you can't move the handle, NO BLOODY ROOM.

That tool as linked to e-bay is the go. Add 3/8" extensions until you're happy.

Good thing is the next one will be a piece of the proverbial.

Thanks for the replies mates!

I've tried all of the above methods. Tomorrow in going to grab a big ol' pair of channel locks and see how that works. Once she's out I'm installing a greddy oil filter relocation kit and an oil cooler. Wish me luck!

I have a R33 GTR and my son has a R32 so I have first hand experience in removing oil filters from GTR's and I also understand the reduced space in a R32.

I use a filter removal tool similar to the one in the ebay link but on mine the 3 fingers are about 5 cm long and it has a 3/8 drive for a rachet. This can get into this confined space easily and generate strong clamping force to remove the filter.

By comparison I love changing the filters on our GTS-T's because there is just sooo much room to work in.

Welcome to the GTR owners club and there will be other jobs that you come across that on other cars are easy but they are just plain difficult on a GTR.

I always thought of getting this type of tool, But not sure on what size rb26 oil filters are, and even a better question can you easily get one of these tools in and out easily enough, anybody used one?

They use it in the service manual.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sealey-Oil-Filter-Cap-Wrench-86mm-x-16-Flutes-/170863297305?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27c83f0319&_uhb=1

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/79mm-Cap-Style-Oil-Filter-Socket-Wrench-Remover-15-Flutes-1-2-/400346525069?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d36832d8d&_uhb=1#ht_1900wt_1139

I always thought of getting this type of tool, But not sure on what size rb26 oil filters are, and even a better question can you easily get one of these tools in and out easily enough, anybody used one?

They use it in the service manual.

http://www.ebay.com....c83f0319&_uhb=1

http://www.ebay.com....#ht_1900wt_1139

r32 and 33 gtr's use ryco z145a and r34 gtr's use z442 (smaller filter)

I use genuine nissan though

• 2 weeks later...

Sup everyone,

Sorry for the late reply, but work has been exaughsting lately!

Anyways, I figured I would post what worked for me. After three days if 18 hour shifts, I went our side a wrenched that f*^#er off. Lol, this is the wrench style I used.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem;PdsSession=9f0fd82e13b0a5aa83337833fff87385?itemId=251199334940&index=9&nav=SEARCH&nid=27173458295

(Sory I'm a little new to forums so you'll have to copy and paste)

I wrapped the metal band in electical tape; all i had at tge monent) and i think that helped with the grip. I positioned the base if the handle on the filter at the 3 0clock position. Then with the handle poi ting counter clockwise I wrenched that way. After some cursing and getting blue in the face, I muscled that sucker off! Relocation kit hasn't come in yet.

Thanks for the input everyone and hopefully this helps someone else out.

-marsh

Best thing you've learned is to ignore suggestions unless they're from a 32 GTR owner.

GTSt's guys have no idea what it's like.

Even 33 GTR owners have it easier, no HICAS valve bank on the chassis rail.

Screwdriver........tell him he's dreaming.

Conventional strap type tools are useless. Even if you actually get one on the filter you can't move the handle, NO BLOODY ROOM.

That tool as linked to e-bay is the go. Add 3/8" extensions until you're happy.

Good thing is the next one will be a piece of the proverbial.

I got my filter off my old r32 gtr with a screwdriver in under 10 mins :)

But yea they are a pita on a gtr and would definatly recommend getting a relocation kit or at the very least using a k&n oil filter which are alot smaller than the ryco ones...