SAU Community

-7 Turbo's And E85

gtr jet

I had a bit of a search but struggled finding much info on people that have run small turbo's on 98 and then jumped on the E85 band wagon.

If there is a similar topic could someone please refer me to it.

If not i'm after peoples results and opinions on running -7 turbo's on E85.

What was the power increase like, torque in the mid range and fuel consumption?

Car's going in for a tune in about 2 weeks and just weighing up whether the swap to ethanol will be worth while or to just stick with 98.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've not seen sensational results on -7 cars - maybe 20rwkw at the most as they run outta airflow before fuel and drop boost a little in the top end where larger turbos don't and having E85 then offers more benefits and lets you put more boost in :)

You can weigh it all up from there really.

Cheers mate. Well maybe it's not really worth it after all then. What about midrange driveabilty and cooling properties on the track?

No plans for updating turbo's anytime soon.

Edited by gtr jet

MPH didn't back up the power on that setup (was way down), so don't waste too much time looking for it yet until it gets fixed :)

haha that also came to mind after my post.

OP- Not to sure on the fine details, But for mid range mabey have a look into a set of cams, and adjustable cam gears if you haven't already.

Adjustable cam gears are in and didn't really want to bother with cams.

Doesn't seem like it's worth it for the extra hassle of not being able to fill up if i'm away from home.

I guess i'll just wait till I speak to the boys at Racepace and make my mind up on the day.

im pretty sure you wil need to have bigger injectors to run E85, unless you have massive ones in there now, so im thinking if you are keen onit, talk to the guys at racepace and ask them what will be needed to go E85 if your really keen onit etc..

There is a -9 result from 98 to E85 - Il try dig it up now... People will say the -7 and -9 are almost identical, But its also proven the -9s will take more boost in.

Considered changing turbos?

i would like to see the -9 result.

There was someone from victoria recently that made 379kw with n1's & e85 on his nur.

Edited by wedge_r34gtr

Well I've got 550's in it now which i thought would be way to small but Chris said i'd still probably make 300+ with them. I wouldn't think they'd go that far.

Stock injectors (440) will do 300rwkw, so 550s will be fine on 98.

i would like to see the -9 result.

There was someone from victoria recently that made 379kw with n1's & e85 on his nur.

Got any more info on this? I'd be happy if i could crack 350kw with e85.

Stock injectors (440) will do 300rwkw, so 550s will be fine on 98.

I know. I'm more interested as to how far they'll go on e85.

If 550's won't get me over 330kw on e85 then eventually I'd just get a set of Id1000's. I guess I'll just wait and see how happy i am with the results 1st.

Cheers for the dyno sheet. I'll have a search for the specs.

Hopefully Nathan goes and runs a MPH to see if it's close, there is another result the page before it that didn't have the MPH to back the result either (missing 4-5mph which is a bit more than 10rwkw type thing).

Seems that's happening more and more lately :(

I made 372kw with -9s but the car seemed to lack power down the qtr mile.

I'm now almost 100 % certain that my cooler pipe just below the twin turbo pipe had a leak in it... I've gone through two of those pipes already!!

A hard pipe kit should be on in the next few weeks then it's back to the drag way to see what's what :)

should get decent results mid 300's should be a walk in the park @ reasonable boost, go 700cc to be safe.

last car @ 379rwkw ran 10.71 @ 127mph with a slipping clutch so not too bad, was hoping to get a run with new clutch but setup has changed and its now making 440rwkw.