SAU Community

R33 Gtst Temp Sensor Problem

jjman

Hey people,

I have noticed on my R33 GTST (with Z32 nistune) that if i observe the engine temps via conzult or nistune the digital engine temp via this sensor rises normally but then will sit on 72 degrees no matter what.

So yesterday i disconnected my thermofans and let the car idle up hotter until the AC fan came on (98 degrees- also verified by my aftermarket coolant temp sensor and gauge) but indeed the digital temp reading was still sitting on 72 degrees.

Does anybody have any idea what might be going on here?

Stuffed sensor? Glitch with the Nistune setup?

? ?

cheers

J

yes im aware that might be the case but i am trying to see if anybody has any experience in case this isnt the problem and im doing a job for nothing...

It just seems strange that it comes up to temp as per normal and even sits at the normal operating temp but then wont go any higher.? seems like a strange choice of behaviour for a 'fried' thermosensor...

It sounds like someone swapped the water temp sensor wires. The gauge in the dash should be doing exactly what you describe, the ecu should get the accurate temp.

interesting theory.

Do you know if it is possible? and if so what bits get swapped?

Ill have a look myself tomorrow morning. (its quite possible as i removed and replaced the cam cover a while back and had to do some unplugging around there...)

so a nissan OEM temp sensor is $110 and repco doesnt seem to have a part listing/dont stock it but i swear somebody on here said something about a replacement sensor from repco or something for about 60-80...

anybody?

I got one from Repco. Wasn't listed in their book but it was the exact same plug shape as a stock one.

I think it's working properly, but it didn't seem to change anything when I replaced the old with the new.

I think Nissan told me $75 IIRC, but I got the Repco one for less than that.