SAU Community

recommend me some gearbox oil

duncan, weren't you telling me the other day you only had this problem when you were flat shifting at 8,000rpm??? :wassup:

for the record, i dont have redline in my box, i was just wondering if redline would cure my problems :(

I've been using Redline Shockproog Lightweight for about 5000kms so far, its been great, when cold first 5 or so gear changes in 1st n 2nd are a lil cluncky, compared to when its warmed up, its like silk. Thumbs up, for this oil.

Use heavy weight for your diff. (Red Stuff)

:headspin:

hrmmmm ... seems as though you guys are paying pretty big $'s for oil that does the same job the synthetic oil my mechanic put into my gearbox. i can't see myself changing anytime soon thats for sure :)

ok got some VMX80 put in the gearbox on Saturday and I can definately say it's a lot better (done about 150km's since). It's a LOT easier to shift into 1st when stationary (the biggest problem). It hasn't completely got rid of it but it's heaps better. I'll give an update at the end of the week (about 400km's later).

Got some heavyweight Redline diff oil put in as well. I have no idea if it's better or not but John (UAS) pretty much swears by it.

for those of you running redline, how is your gearbox in the mornings or when the engine/oils are cold? i find that my gearbox is really difficult to get into 1st and 2nd when cold but when warm it just slides in .....

Fwanky - I bought some redline shockproof lightweight on the weekend. It's going into the car this week. I've got the same issue as you and Duncan - always a bit notchy when its cold and even sometimes when it's warm. I'll let you all know how it is after I put it in. I've got castrol (grade unknown) at the moment. From reports I should expect a good result.

It costs more at performance shops from shopping around. Coventry Auto parts in Sydney sells it for $90 for about 3.9 ltrs. and $25 a litre after that.

Check the redline website for distributors.

Dunno about GTS-T. GTR boxes are a touch over 4 ltrs I think.