SAU Community

recommend me some gearbox oil

It is expensive for a reason, use it !! My 4th gear issues are completely gone, think I need another dose of it though to see if it fixes some 2nd gear issues.

Give UAS a call and grab some :)

Do it (Starsky and Hutch voice)... I've got two bottles of Shockproof waiting to go into the GTR this saturday

It is by far the best man. transmission oil i've used - also in the diffs

Whatever you choose, choose well... I got given some... shall we say less than ideal.... advice on what oil to use, and after 3/4 hour pumping it in with a stupid little pump, the damn gearbox is WORSE than with the old oil in it ! i coulda thumped the guy who sold it to me if my arm wasn't so sore.... So anyway, went and saw someone else, who, rather than just saying -"Yeah this is good stuff, i use it" (silly me should've asked what in) Rang the guys who supply the oil, who actually had access to some books on this kinda thing. I guess one day ill learn not to be in a hurry. Oh Well.....

Back to the point though, i now have some Valvoline 75/85w Synthetic (i forget the fancy name) and ill let you know how it goes... bit cheaper than the redline stuff, at only $35/4litres, but I don't make huge horsepower or race or anything like that, so it should do the trick. Diff oil was just your average 90 Lim-slip stuff - no surprises there.

Also, just as an off-shoot to this question, to those of you who've used a couple of different oils, does the expensive stuff really make 70/80 bucks worth of difference? just wondering

Phil

(oh, and sorry if this is whoring, im blurry on the details of definition....) :Oops:

If you dont like redline, I found that the mobil fully synthetic g/box oil was shit - I think its too thin gears grind like a meat grinder... I had better results with Caltex mineral based oil 75w-90 IIRC. (R33 g/box)

Sumo

For the people putting the Redline Shockproof in your g/box give it a solid 500-750km before you make your final opinion. It doesn't work over night but it does work...

It probably depends whats in before you change it as to how it feels after. When I dumped my gearbox oil, it was a dark grey/brown colour. I just used castrol vmx80, at bout $35 for 4l and it has worked wonders!! Couldn't be happier.

I used Castrol VMX80 also. Twas $34.95 for 4 litres.

It has made the gearbox slightly better but it is not as good as i had hoped. Still for 35 bucks and about 1 hour of work not a bad way to improve the driving feel of your car.

I use castrol vmx80. Its great stuff for the price you pay. In my diff i use castrol epx80w/90.

Previously I have used Shell synthetic 75w/90 and it was shocking! gears/synchros grinded conistently when cold and often when warm as well.

Well, after another 2 hours under the car last night, and a decent drive today, it seems the new oil (75/80 semi-synth) is MOST DEFINITELY better than the 80/90 i had earlier in the week. Still not perfect though... went back and got some Nulon Addative (PPTFe stuff) looked at the slick50, but at $45 for the treatment, and $40somthing for the oil, i may as well have got Redline, so the Nulon will do for now. Like most "miracle" cures, while it might not work, it shouldn't really do any harm. Well thats what im hoping

for those of you running redline, how is your gearbox in the mornings or when the engine/oils are cold? i find that my gearbox is really difficult to get into 1st and 2nd when cold but when warm it just slides in .....