SAU Community

Xr6T Stock Fmic Into 98Gtt? Worth Doing?

au55ie

ive been playing with my 98 GTT a bit lately... new 3" turbo back and a couple of other replacement items.

ive just scored a stock XR6T front mount for the right price ($0 to be exact) and wodered if it would provide any gains over the standard item?

it will be a no cost mod as i have plenty of pipes and joiners at work, but ultimately would it be worth fitting up???

any advice is appreciated.

thanks in advance

Matt

if you are running stock boost and stock turbo then the gain would be minimal IMO.

Also if you plan on mounting it in the factory location i think you might find it worse as the airflow is directed to the stock cooler via shielding etc

happy to be corrected but i dont see it being a worth while 'upgrade', the stock cooler is good for 10-12psi for road use, track is different story

Are XR6T FMIC's return flow?

You'll have to get custom piping made up for it... and work out a way to mount it...

Probably better off getting a JJR Cooling Pro FMIC which you know will fit perfectly.

If it's a BA/BF cooler it's return flow. FG's are similar to a Gtr cooler but narrower and almost twice as tall.

If the car is fairly standard the the BA cooler might be worth it but if you plan on running more than 12psi then you need something decent.

yes its return flow

id look at mounting it up front.

as i said pipe work is no issue as i have access to a pipe bender and plenty of rubber/silicone couplings.

i do have a new turbo sitting at home for the baby ( not sure of exact specs) that came of a mates r33.

ive got new coils on the way.

i will be upgrading computer and injectors in the near future.

it was the right price so i considered putting it in since im a tight arse and would rather spend money on a computer so i can run the new turbo...

Waste of time.

The BA/BF return flow cooler will heatsoak at 240rwkw as noted. The massive FG cooler will do the same thing at about 300kw, so neither of which are worthy options.

Better off with an off the shelf cross flow china kit.

China kit - easier to install, waste less time making piping, comes with brackets will perform better

DIY kit - headache, waste more money overall once done, won't sit nice and will perform crap like others have mentioned

Should weigh it out, ling long kit will be better in terms of fitment, cost effectiveness and performance

cheers boys!

just been looking at the performance wise kits- cheap as and im getting my coils through him so i will bite the bullet and spend some more coin.

thanks for the input