SAU Community

Timmy's R34 Gtt

Hey guys, need some help.

I'm in the process of changing my clutch this weekend. The new clutch itself is fitted, but the rear gearbox seal was pretty fuarked so I was replacing it. It was pretty well stuck however, which I thought unusual, but I had to use a tiny metal pick to slowly pull all the old seal out. I finally got it all out, but the new seal won't go in. I have been reading for the last few hours but everyone seems to be like it goes in pretty easy, at worse, with a little firm tapping from a hammer. Has anyone got any suggestions of what I can do so get it in? I have tried hammering with a rubber mallet using an old metal pulley on top (exact some diameter) even with a metal pole on top of the pulley to allow more hitting room lol. I am going to buy a big metal hammer tomorrow in case the rubber mallet is absorbing the majority of the force, but does anyone have any suggestions why it is so difficult to get in?

Cheers

could sound stupid but is it 100% the right seal or going in the right side. Try some soap and hot water i guess.

My first thought was it had to be the wrong seal. But everywhere I look confirms it is the right part number.

I did try hot water firstly and then later tried with plenty of gearbox oil on the seal and the area it has to go into and still no luck :(

Well, to update, we managed to get the rear gearbox oil seal in, though I am not particularly happy with how it is. I think I am going to buy another new seal and pay to get it put in. We put the old oil in (which still looked like new) in case it leaked, and also because as mentioned I want to get the seal replaced again.

Overall the process of changing the clutch was not the most pleasant I have had. Everything was smooth sailing until we got to pulling out the old spigot bush, which we ended up having to break out carefully with a chisel. Got the new clutch fitted up, then decided it best to replace the rear gearbox seal (as mentioned above) due to it not looking the best. I think I know why that was now lol.

Once we managed to jam that in for a temporary fix to get me home, we set about putting the gearbox back in when tragedy struck again and my mate helping me put it in injured his arm. We stopped to rest and the pain started to spread down his arm so we thought it best to go to the hospital to get it checked. Turned out he flexed one of the bones in his arm (almost snapping). Luckily some rest and he will be back to normal. His brother ended up coming around after he finished work at 6pm and helped me lift it back on.

Anyway, after the eventful weekend, I got my car running again and started my 2 hour drive home after grabbing something to eat. Luckily, the 5 roos and 2 foxes that jumped/ran in front of me were avoided. Everything seems to be running smoothly, no leaks, but I will still get the seal replaced again and put the new Redline oil in at the same time.

Will take some getting used to the new clutch, but it definitely feels very solid! Will post some pics when I get the chance :)

Edited by timmy_89

Car is booked in to have the rear gearbox oil seal changed again, I'm really not happy with the one we put in looks. Will get them to put the Redline oil in at the same time.

I bought a decat for the car, turned out my car has a R33 cat on it..... so now I have to send this one back and get a R33 decat sent back. Keen to fit it up though.

Starting to get used to the clutch now after a couple of drives. Will keep running it in for a while, can't wait to give it a thrash though :P

ohhh I almost dropped a few tears of frustration it was probably cause I did it by myself on the ground but when a mate came over it was a better experience. Learnt a lesson that ill hire a hoist next time I do it.

ohhh I almost dropped a few tears of frustration it was probably cause I did it by myself on the ground but when a mate came over it was a better experience. Learnt a lesson that ill hire a hoist next time I do it.

This is my second clutch change for this car and both times I did it on the ground. Both times I regretted it, but I spent all my money on the clutch/flywheel :P

• Like 1

I got mine done on the group and as a cash job for a workshop.

Finally had to get a professional to do it.

Set me back 3x the price of just the pro doing it in the end.

I did it the first time because I was on the absolute cheap, needed to replace the clutch before a motorkhana and picked one up for $250 on eBay. Lasted me a year though so can't complain lol. Did it the second time because I spent all my money on the new clutch and flywheel from Jim Berry haha. Overall for the money saved I can't complain, I'm just probably being anal about the rear gearbox oil seal and would rather make sure it's all OK. All that needs to be done is drop the tailshaft out so labor should be cheap to fix that part of it :) . Coincidentally, this is just before the exact same motorkhana this year haha :P

Hahaha nice

I was thinking that you had to pull the gearbox out again.

No wonder you sound so care free about replacing the seal again

Haha nar, not the rear main seal at the back of the engine. The rear gearbox seal where the tailshaft goes in :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Martin knows because his found all his faults :whistling:

Ha!

Got your 34 yet Mani? Some things take time ;):P

I got mine done on the group and as a cash job for a workshop.

Finally had to get a professional to do it.

Set me back 3x the price of just the pro doing it in the end.

Bah, it's frustrating but it's doable. Nothing says bonding like doing a pull-type clutch on the ground with a mate. Like goin through 'Nam together.

Car looks good Timmy!