SAU Community

Timmy's R34 Gtt

So I'm home after the big matsuri weekend.

It was all going great, not the greatest weather, especially on the Saturday, until I went out for my second round of runs on the Sunday and .... BANG....

Yep, blew third gear. Not the best result, but I had a feeling the gearbox was the next weak point. Changed the oil at the track and a LOT of metal came out. Seeing as I drove the car there (4.5hr drive) I had to decide weather or not to take the chance to try and limp home. I did, and it managed to without any dramas, however the box clearly still has some broken bits in it. Got some amusing looks rolling through towns with all the gearbox noise :P

Anyway, here is a video of an average run from the Saturday, I will sort through my videos from first session on the Sunday and see if there is anything worth putting up.

I thought 25 boxes were pretty strong bits of gear :)

That's what I keep getting told :P

I suspect that age was probably a factor, the car has 160,000kms on it now and as far as I know it was the original box.

Looking into the cost of a new box, not real keen on a second hand one. Also what's peoples opinions of getting it reco'd, and also options like straight cut gears? I don't know a great deal about gearboxes so any info would be appreciated :)

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of photos that have popped up from the matsuri before 3rd blew.

2q2kcqs.jpg

2cf71u0.jpg

wk4kro.jpg

funrzr.jpg

Update into fixing the car: I have decided I will most likely buy a brand new gearbox from RHDJapan because it will be about $2200 delivered, cheapest new price I have found in Australia is $3100 delivered. I will be pulling my old gearbox out in a couple of weekends, was away last weekend, will be away this weekend, so hopefully the next lol. I will pull it apart and take pics to show everyone the damage. Once I have it out I will order the new one (also gives me a chance to pay shit off my credit card so that there is enough free on their to pay for the new box haha.

• 2 weeks later...

Pulling gearbox out tomorrow. Will open it up for a look and post some photos.

I'm really struggling between buying a new box or saving a bit longer and upgrading gears, then I 'should never have to worry again'. Lol.

If anyone that has seriously looked at the options before could jump in and let me know any info would be greatly appreciated.

Well the gearbox was pulled out last Saturday as planned. I still have no fully opened it however, there seems to be limited info out there and I am just winging it. I am currently stuck at the selector. I have knocked the pin out but it appears to be a collar, I'm told the proper name is a 'roll pin' lol still holding it in so I've got to get a punch for that then hopefully I'll be on my way to opening it :P

Edited by timmy_89

Yep. I'm surprised I made it the 400km drive home haha. Every gear has marks on it though.
Simply because of current financials, I have ordered a brand new gearbox from RHDJapan. I wanted to buy local but the markup was about $1000 and those I spoke to wouldn't budge on price. It should be here in 2-3 weeks then I'll have to find time to fit it and get it all run in before some hill climbs events. I would have loved to have gone straight cut gears but again current financials just won't allow it and I'd prefer to get the car running again for now.

I would like to go PPG straight cut synchromesh gearset but I'm just too stuck for funds at the moment. I will run with the new box for a while and just see how it holds up for now. I know it won't be a problem with hill climbs etc which will be main focus over the next year. I hope to attend the November Wakefield matsuri again so I guess that will put it to the test and I will be 'trying' to be more sympathetic on the box after some advice from a view. If I brake a gear again I will not be wasting my time doing anything other than going stronger. We will just see how it plays out I guess :P

I would like to go PPG straight cut synchromesh gearset but I'm just too stuck for funds at the moment. I will run with the new box for a while and just see how it holds up for now. I know it won't be a problem with hill climbs etc which will be main focus over the next year. I hope to attend the November Wakefield matsuri again so I guess that will put it to the test and I will be 'trying' to be more sympathetic on the box after some advice from a view. If I brake a gear again I will not be wasting my time doing anything other than going stronger. We will just see how it plays out I guess :P

You will be right mate ;) Mine has held up for a fair while and my kms are about the same as yours was so a brand newy should last for ages!