SAU Community

Squattin

TTT

I've taken 4 weeks off, but just don't feel the same way about gym anymore. The fact that I look better since not doing weights, plus losing weight hasn't helped wanting to go back to the gym either. I used to love the gym and I'm surprised how much my feelings have changed.

If you've had 4 weeks off you've likely lost some muscle mass which will partly explain the weight loss, that plus no supps likely means less water weight.

This is not really the thread for this discussion, but I can say that if you don't like gym, don't do it. Do whatever exercise you want that helps you feel good and keeps you in shape.

I do gym because I like to do gym and it gives me the results I want. I do not run because I do not enjoy running, even when I was doing it regularly I was not "enjoying" it, but it worked to keep me trim so I did it. I've found I can keep trim enough with diet control and some more volume. So the non fun thing has been ditched.

I'm sure there are other things you can do besides gym to keep you fit and healthy and stay happy. That all depends on what your goals are. You either move the goals to fit your attitude, or you adjust your attitude to do the things you must do to achieve your goals. Make the choice and go with that, you can always do it differently down the track. Nothing is set in stone with exercise.

Yeah you can get scared by those who injure themselves - I had to take a month off benching and OHP due to pain with the rotator cuffs, but came back with a much better knowledge of proper form afterwards!

The only people I've known who have had back issues were steroid using bodybuilders doing typical bodybuilding routines - how did you manage to snap your back up Dan?

The reason people do quarter squats is for ego building, you can lift heaps more if you only go halfway down...

Training at a PTC though you sorta just realise that most people are gonna be be putting up big numbers on most lifts and you kinda just dont care anymore.

Boz: I cannot be 100% sure, but I "assume" it was that time I was squatting and got real low and my back went "bang" in terms of pain and I had to go see someone straight away, it hasn't been right since and being the smart person that I am kept training thinking I was working around it, getting better etc as the numbers were still going up, albeit still shitful.

My physio seems to think that my crap ankle ROM throws my pelvis mechanics out so I load up unevenly through pelvis and lower back which causes issues as the weight climbs.

Using a raiser below my heel helps but I find I have to have a really wide stance and feet out 45 degrees to be comfortable getting to parallel and below and I stretch like a motherf**ker so it shouldn't be a ROM issue elsewhere.

Physio had me do a number of tests and said for the most part ROM and flexibility is decent for a desk jockey, just not in my ankle.

Edited by ActionDan

Dan I have prolapsed disk in my lumbar. Did it last year, stopped squatting and DL for a couple of months, got regular Chiro/Osteo treatment, then started from scratch again. Just the bar, then added 10kg a week until I was back to squatting heavy again with no pain. I did the same with deads.

People laughed at me as I was squatting less than the girls for weeks.

I ended up hitting PBs in both squat and dead by the end of the year. 230kg squat, 250kg dead, up 20kg and 10kg respectively.

Re injured same disk training for states about a month ago. Back spasms so bad I had to be basically carried out of the gym and driven home. This time recovery has been MUCH better/quicker. I'm already back to squatting and deadlifting. Working on my ROM and mobility a lot more than I used to.

The body is an amazing thing. It will heal as you get stronger. Find a way to train that works for you. Injuries happen, as long as you learn from it you can still make progress.

Front squats are a great way to get a good training effect without having to go too heavy, so are pause squats. Try squatting really slowly, use a belt, really brace your core as you descend, try not to drop to quickly into the hole. If you feel it pulling or pinching in that spot stop and ice it immediately.

I now know what the warning signs are and hopefully in future I won't ignore them. Unlike a muscular issue you cannot train through a disk injury. Eventually your body will say enough and spasm all the muscles around the injured disk to protect it... which I'm here to tell you is fckn painful!

I literally fell your pain, mine is impinging the sciatic nerve also so every twang in the back goes down the leg too.

T5 I think, the lowest one.

Good times.

At the moment I do no squat or DL, just working on core and stability with my physio (same one who fixed my bad elbow and forearm).

When I showed up after years of not seeing him he laughed and said this is gonna be good. We have a good dynamic.

Agreed Nick, you can find ways around injuries and the body has remarkable healing ability that surpasses even the greatest of medical discoveries. As is the theory behind osteopathic treatment, I guess. I still have my shoulder injury, always will...it flares up and I have to ice it...but I'm still benching more than ever :)

You just find ways to deal with it and not let it stop you from living your life. Of course need to be smart about it too, and rest where needed plus rehab / take it easy heading back into things.

I literally fell your pain, mine is impinging the sciatic nerve also so every twang in the back goes down the leg too.

T5 I think, the lowest one.

Im guessing you mean L5? T5 is a little high up ze back to be causing lower back/sciatic issues

Either way, i really hope i can avoid ever having a serious lower back issue.

Nick do you lift with a belt?

Edited by Mitcho_7

had to dump the bar today - started going too far forward. Luckily I didnt snap my shit up and was able to continue.

Do you have safety bars to catch it?

Is it possible when coming up from a heavy squat to lean too far forward and have the bar f**k you up? I often get this feeling that the bar is going to roll too far forward and break my neck and I can't complete the squat.

Is it possible when coming up from a heavy squat to lean too far forward and have the bar f**k you up? I often get this feeling that the bar is going to roll too far forward and break my neck and I can't complete the squat.

Have seen a few people do this and its painful to watch. Not a clue why it happens though