SAU Community

Squattin

TTT

Quick question, I feel like I'm pushing through the middle to front of feet when squatting, how can I move it back towards my heels more?

I was also doing this.

To stop it I did the following;

I put the bar under my traps (low back position), gripped the bar really hard, went for a wider stance, turned my feet very slightly outwards, dropped from my backside as though sitting and then on the way up pushed from the back of my feet through the hips. This part was real important, had to concentrate on where to 'push' from. I also took my runners off and did it in socks as the runners were springing me up pushing me forward. I dropped the weight until I got used to the new technique. I find I don't lean forward any more and importantly don't push off the front of my foot.

Lean back? Are you squatting high or low bar?

A wider stance may help shift it back.

Tried leaning back, nearly fell haha bar is as low as my shoulder allows me.

Feet are just wider than shoulder width and toes pointed slightly out

I was also doing this.

To stop it I did the following;

I put the bar under my traps (low back position), gripped the bar really hard, went for a wider stance, turned my feet very slightly outwards, dropped from my backside as though sitting and then on the way up pushed from the back of my feet through the hips. This part was real important, had to concentrate on where to 'push' from. I also took my runners off and did it in socks as the runners were springing me up pushing me forward. I dropped the weight until I got used to the new technique. I find I don't lean forward any more and importantly don't push off the front of my foot.

I wear flat sole shoes, runners are too unstable. I'll drop the weight and concentrate more next time, I push through my heels fine with just body weight.

I was tired last time I squatted and thats the only time I've noticed it so far, might have been a fatigue thing.

Will see how I go tomorrow I guess

You wont fix that on the internet, if you live in Perth either go to Muscle Pit and see Henry or PTC and see Dan

One session will fix your problem

Am planning on going to ptc once my other issues are fixed, like I said I only noticed it on the one session and I was screwed from work.

I'll see what happens tomorrow, I thought I'd ask here to see if there might be something completely obvious I was missing.

(don't take that as me rejecting your advise, i know its worth its weight)

OK posted here as per the suggestion.

Since adding the board under my heels I've gone backwards, without it I had hit 6 reps on the final set of a 3x8 routine and was working towards getting the 7th and 8th.

Then I added the board as my ankle still won't allow good form, have to have legs way out and feet angled to get down and it feels uncomfortable. The board allows a narrow stance and deeper squat but seems to have cost me power, I assume I'm now using slightly different muscles that aren't up to task.

First attempt with the board was only 4 reps and failed the 5th, tonight it was only 3 reps and failed the 4th (may have been the jog I did yesterday that made it worse as I'm trying to get my ankle back to being able to handle jogging again).

This video shows without the board ( this was the end of my session tonight, sorry it's slightly crooked). You can see wider stance needed and not heaps low. I add the board at the end but the next video shows it better.

http://youtu.be/NSz35PrSg-8

This is with a board.

http://youtu.be/ZQxTuEPXEkU

With board, side on. No idea why this one won't embed.

http://youtu.be/3Ad2UD18nkg

If there's nothing overtly wrong with form I'll just knock some weight off the final set and get the rep count up.

This is only 70kg on the bar, I usually start at 80, then go 90, then a bit over 100. Light I know but I'm not great at this yet.

Edited by ActionDan

Just trying to get comfy, I'd have to watch the vids again but from memory I don't think my feet move as much with the board.

When I'm doing it in my session I don't think they move much.

After reading some more of your stuff I'm going to drop a little weight and go for 2x 20 reps to build a foundation as I had no squat experience before feb and my mechanics continue to change as my ankle gets better.

DL is much easier for me/the ankle.

• 3 weeks later...

Question for the more knowledgeable here.

My knees stay behind my toes at a regular squat depth (just below parallel), the deeper I go the more my knees track forwards until they go over at full depth.

Is this a problem in relation to form/flexibility? Or is this normal body mechanics?

Will this become a problem later?

cant answer your question Shaun as I have no clue.

My squats have tacken a massive backward step. I just cant seem to improve on them.

I have good depth but weight is 60kg and not even by 10 reps, its a joke, really need to figure a way past this hump.