SAU Community

What is Flat Changing and Double Clutching

Flat changing - not taking your foot off the accelerator when changing gear. Gets mad seconds, thirds, fourths etc... hurts the drivetrain (and motor if no rev limiter)

Double clutching - releasing the clutch in neutral between gear changes. Takes ages to change gears, but will at least go into gear if having syncro issues or hard to shift boxes.

are there any other techniques we could use when drag racing. The flat changing sound good. :)

Flat changing - not taking your foot off the accelerator when changing gear. Gets mad seconds, thirds, fourths etc... hurts the drivetrain (and motor if no rev limiter)

Double clutching - releasing the clutch in neutral between gear changes. Takes ages to change gears, but will at least go into gear if having syncro issues or hard to shift boxes.

Double declutching eg from 4th to third........clutch in-into neutral-clutch out- bring revs up to match your current road speed- clutch in-into 3rd-clutch out mostly used when downchanging, Your clutch will live a long and happy life.

Flat changing- go pedal flat to the floor-hold it there while you change gear. Your clutch will die very young.

Flat changing in a syncro gearbox is not a good idea.

Maybe when you install a straight cut dog tooth box it will be good.

Double shuffling or double clutching is probulary best described on forums such as "Diesel Landcruiser Australia", "Mack Truck USA" and "HQ Holden heaven"

However, heel and toe down shifting is all good!

Double declutching eg from 4th to third........clutch in-into neutral-clutch out- bring revs up to match your current road speed- clutch in-into 3rd-clutch out    mostly used when downchanging, Your clutch will live a long and happy life.

Flat changing- go pedal flat to the floor-hold it there while you change gear. Your clutch will die very young.

Thanks alot for the help ... yeah i'm familiar with the theory of heel & toe it's just a matter of attempting it. But yeah, thanks again for the info on double clutching & flat changing.

Once again, you can have a helical cut dog box or a straight cut synchro box. Meh...

I just want to know what granny shifting is!?

hehehe....fast and the furiNAWS.

I granny shift all the time...if I don't i look like the biggest dick during peak hour :D

heel and toe is not double clutching in itself. simplest heel toe has nothing to do with double clutching, just to aid in downshifting whilst braking (getting revs high enough for lower gear).

of course u can add double clutching to that, but in a syncroed gearbox there isnt all too much point