SAU Community

Installing The The Gk Tech Braided Brake Line. Over Tighten And Cross Threaded The Braided Brake Line On The Front R33 Caliper. Can It Be Retapped?

tN^

Installing the the gk tech braided brake line. over tighten and cross threaded the braided brake line on the front R33 caliper. can it be retapped?

post-909-0-25926300-1365947505_thumb.jpg

also should there be a few mm gap when tight between the caliper and the bottom of the braided brake line insert bolt. (hence why i over tighten it)

post-909-0-65203200-1365947613_thumb.jpg

Edited by tN^

nah, its a restrictor buddy. You should have pulled it out instead of trying to force it and stripping the thread.

I removed it on my GTR calipers to get it to work. Get a right sized screw, and screw it in the hole and pull them out with pliers. Then you'll find your new lines sit flat. However, now you either need to go find a new caliper, or get the hole welded, drilled and tapped and flushed. No way I would just trust a re-cut thread into a brake caliper.

The metal piece us the caliper is a tapered section so the (stock) flare fitting can deal properly. It has to be removed if you are not using a flared hard line any more, like you.

I am not familiar with those brake lines, but I don't like the look of that fitting. The other common type of fitting at the brake end is a banjo bolt, and the banjo bolt has 2 copper washers to seal it (1 seal between the bolt and the brake line, 1 seal between the bolt and the caliper. It seems like that line just uses a tapered fitting, which probably is not designed to bottom out (ie sit flush).

If you bought that line for a 33 gtst and it did not mention removing the fitting from the caliper, I think you should shout at whoever sold it to you.....pretty poor form not to mention such a tricky step. Unless you just ignored the instructions, in which case clip yourself on the back of the head.