SAU Community

Akebono Big Brake Kit

Hi All.

Once I get back from my Thailand Trip!! Wooo, ill be making some new upgrades.

I'm looking to get a new brake kit that's not 10 grand like most of them.

http://conceptzperformance.com/Cart/description.php?II=3303&Car_Type=G35&UID=20130524002102219.90.244.239

This akebono seems like a better upgrade from just stock brakes. I know it's no brembos but better than stock.

Anyone know of any other places to get them? Or a different option maybe.

Thanks

Hey mate, I am considering upgrading to a V36 in the not-too-distant future, at which time I will probably pull my slotted floating rotors and Brembos off and sell them. How soon are you looking to do it?

FYI that kit you linked to is great, but once you pay for shipping and GST/duties, you will be WELL the wrong side of $3k. They are not too far off 100kg for all that gear believe it or not. Shipping from the USA is a bitch.

Ahh, have you got any specific photos and specs of your kit? link maybe.

Yeah i have looked at the z1 site, 2500 and 200 delivery that includes berk hfcs and a free cap!!!

I just pmd conceptz for a quote.

See how we go.

Ps. Get back from Thailand 17th June...so that soon

Edited by runner4life

My kit is standard Brembos off a manual V35, with Stoptech 2 piece floating rotors http://www.z1motorsports.com/350_g35/product_info.php?products_id=5563

Nah, let me guarantee you that delivery WON'T be $200. Like I said the kit is about 100kg. I paid about $350 to ship mine here a few years back, and postage rates were much cheaper then vs now.

Also, it is illegal for the US business to not declare the correct value, so you will find that for items of this value most will put the invoice amount on the package. Duties and GST on products worth $2,500 will run you around $400 in duties and GST (assuming $200 postage cost is correct, which it is not). Just factor this into your decision.

I will be asking $2k for my kit, and it will come with decent pads too. I probably won't take off my braided lines, but tbh these made NO difference - I wouldn't bother if I was you. If you DID want to bother, braided lines can be had for around $200 delivered out of the USA.

I'll just wait back to hear from the two companies and see how I go!

I'll keep yours in my mind too!

$495 from Conceptz....so that would be $2335.

Not bad for alot of kit....I will see what the z1 site does it for with the berk HFCs too.

I'm not worried about being illegal. Where I drive, all the cops know me ;) Advantage of being "in house"

Is there a disadvantage to the adapter? Why illegal?

I have aftermarket 18s. The site says fits 18s and above...Hopefully is ok, i can print out a template to check.

From experience from getting shipping quotes and comparing between z1 and conceptz , I find z1 to be much cheaper. Conceptz quoted me 2 differen shipping prices for the same item when I enquired using 2 different emails lol dodgy as...

Don't Z1's Akebono kit (front and rear) qualify for free shipping to Australia?

Pretty sure their website calculates shipping at the press of a button.

Also, V36 Akebono > V35 Brembo

yeah but by the time they are delivered they are 2x the price of stock brembos

Never saw the need for BBK, as most people dont have tyres that can over come the stock braking force, and/or dont do long trackdays needing the big rotor for heat dissipation

Whilst I sorta agree, going overboard with brakes and tyres makes more sense than doing so with power mods.

Also, the "Z1 Akebono Big Brake Master Kit" comes up at $1700 delivered for me - although that is with Infinti calipers, Centric rotors and pads and no brake fluid.

Curious as to where have you seen a full kit of V35 Brembo's for $850? :woot:

I just think its a reasonably priced viable option for safer brakes...and you can go through the hills in comfort. Im going to get mine powder coated yellow/gold. Cross drilled and slotted will look sweet.

I have expensive tyres, so makes sense to get better brakes if they can handle it.

Whilst I sorta agree, going overboard with brakes and tyres makes more sense than doing so with power mods.

Also, the "Z1 Akebono Big Brake Master Kit" comes up at $1700 delivered for me - although that is with Infinti calipers, Centric rotors and pads and no brake fluid.

Curious as to where have you seen a full kit of V35 Brembo's for $850? :woot:

Well this will be closer to 2.5K by the time it gets here

Locky if you read what iamhe77 has actually written, for the brake set alone from Z1 it is free shipping. Confirmed by Z1 themselves. So where is the magical $800 extra coming from?

I've done some reading on cross drilled. I'm not going to be driving track, I do that in the cop cars enough. So crossed drilled is "ok" unless your using them in severe applications, street driving....severe? no, unless you want to be stopped by me and have a chat with a friendly officer ;)

Worst case scenario I change rotors if they happen to crack after however many ks? meh

They won't crack.

I ran cross drilled 296mm on a full weight m35 on a light track day. No cracks.

Running really high 800+ degree pads on a race car doing lap after lap? Sure, they will crack. Considering Porsche and orher high performance marques, use cross factory discs, I'm not sure cross drilling has a lot to do with it, rather disc material composition.

Yeah that's what i figure mate.

How hot would your brakes get around the city or through the hills?? nothing compared to repeated track laps.

I'm confident enough to get cross and slotted!