SAU Community

Discouraged From Buying V35

Hi everyone,

I am new here and hope you can answer my question.

I was considering buying a V35 coupe probably 2004+ model, but after speaking to a reputable importer (dont want to mention names) he pretty much told me flat out not to buy one. He said:

- The engine and transmission are rubbish (both auto and manual)

- The interior is dodgy, and

- Servicing is ridiculously expensive.

He also said he has had so much trouble from them he refuses to import them anymore.

really liked the V35 and would still like to get one, so i can put my mind at rest can anyone confirm or deny these things, has anyone had major issues with their V35.

Thanks in advance

Lol that's pretty much bs everything he said.

Servicing is like any other jap performance car - there are no cost premiums just cos it's a v35....

Interior is not dodgy at all - the premium models have a rather upmarket feel if you ask me.

The vq35de won best engine of the year award in 2003 and 2004, so how can it be trash?

Now will you tell us who your importer is so we can all stay away from this guy who knows completely nothing about these cars???

Servicing costs between $150 to $250 depending on which shop you take it to in Melbourne. Maybe even cheaper if you take it to just a regular mechanic, the prices I quote are from those "performance car places"

People generally don't like what they don't understand, and many mechanics are the same.

If you can find a good example with low k's I would go for it, great car for the money. Personally I would go for a series 2 manual, or have you looked at the v36 also?

Good to know, might just take a chance and ignore this guy.

Although he did say he used to import them, maybe he just had a bad experience.

He was from The Toy Shop near Newcastle, NSW btw.

Edited by CAM602

Yep, as everyone has said, he is full of shit.

I think the interior is brilliant - and after 125,000km my interior is still like new.

Yes the CVT sedan gearboxes were pretty crap, as when/if they broke down they are VERY expensive to fix - but the normal coupe gearboxes are great.

As stated the VQ35DE is one fo the all-time top rated engines in the world - go Google any 'best engines' list and the VQ35 will be on it.

I service mine myself - all you need to do is clean the air filter and change the engine oil/filter. The V35s use normal oil, but one would be better served to use a half decent synthetic oil. The items to service my V35 cost under $100, and it takes under an hour.

I'd be interested in knowing what he did recommend instead of a V?

And in regards to low km's, understand that a lot have had their odometers wound back. If you get one from an importer, I have heard that you can search the VIN and see what it had on the odometer when it was auctioned, although not a guarantee it wasn't wound back before auction.

Yep, as everyone has said, he is full of shit.

I think the interior is brilliant - and after 125,000km my interior is still like new.

Yes the CVT sedan gearboxes were pretty crap, as when/if they broke down they are VERY expensive to fix - but the normal coupe gearboxes are great.

As stated the VQ35DE is one fo the all-time top rated engines in the world - go Google any 'best engines' list and the VQ35 will be on it.

I service mine myself - all you need to do is clean the air filter and change the engine oil/filter. The V35s use normal oil, but one would be better served to use a half decent synthetic oil. The items to service my V35 cost under $100, and it takes under an hour.

Yup - the Coupe is the way to go, gearbox-wise.

Interior is just fine!

Methinks Toy Shop has 'hidden agenda'.

Yup - the Coupe is the way to go, gearbox-wise.

The CVT was just an option on the sedan, you can still get a 350GT sedan with the 5sp auto, or 6sp manual

Good cars they are, have a few mates with them. I would consider getting one but I'm more of a fan of what I call "real" Skylines (R32-R34).

I call them OLD skylines. :P

:) Since the original skyline was a luxury 4dr sedan or wagon, The V series is probably more of a 'real skyline' than the more performance focused R series.. :)

a friend of mine has had his update model auto V35 350GT sedan (the kouki 2005+ models were only available as 6mt or 5at, the problematic CVT dissapeared) for 6 years and has had absolutely no issues,reliable, well built and fairly cheap to maintain. ive had my V35 coupe for over a year and similarly impressed.

The VQ35DE is an excellent engine,so good Nissan use variants of it in a wide range of their cars, including Skyline,350Z,Stagea,Maxima,Murano,Fuga,Cefiro,Elgrand, and a bunch of Infiniti models.

The guy who you spoke to at the dealer is talking shit.

Hi everyone,

I am new here and hope you can answer my question.

I was considering buying a V35 coupe probably 2004+ model, but after speaking to a reputable importer (dont want to mention names) he pretty much told me flat out not to buy one. He said:

- The engine and transmission are rubbish (both auto and manual)

- The interior is dodgy, and

- Servicing is ridiculously expensive.

He also said he has had so much trouble from them he refuses to import them anymore.

really liked the V35 and would still like to get one, so i can put my mind at rest can anyone confirm or deny these things, has anyone had major issues with their V35.

Thanks in advance

Yep.. he's full of shit. My V35 has been extremely reliable engine-wise. Has not missed a beat since owning it..

Interior from factory i think is pretty basic, but keep in mind they are a 10 year old car.. but i do love my leather :)

Gearbox, he is sort of correct. At least in the 03-05 models with the CD001. I have upgraded to the CD009 which is standard in the 06-07 and has stronger synchro's and it's amazing. The early model gearboxes are known to have 3rd and 5th synchro issues, i had lost 5th synchro by 80,000km..

My V35 is also for sale if you'd consider it here's the advert http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/nissan-skyline-2003-14924322?base=1216&vertical=Car&cr=3&eapi=2&__N=1246%201252%201247%201282%201216%201622&num=15&silo=Stock&Range=Price%3a15000%2c20000~0.5&items=%5bMake%3aNISSAN%2cModel%3aSKYLINE%2cBaseEnabledBadge%3a350GT%5d&sort=default

If your after a Series 3 black 06 350GT Coupe, mine is also on carsales for a decent price, actually really need it gone because I was given a work car and dont have anymore room for it, its currently at my parents place, shame to see her go but hope she goes to a good home!

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/nissan-skyline-2006-14846288?base=1216&vertical=Car&cr=1&eapi=2&__N=4294739354%201621%204294950370%2053%201246%201252%201247%201282%204294766498%204294963846%204294963593%201216&num=15&silo=Stock&Range=Year%3a2006%2cMax&sort=default

actually really need it gone because I was given a work car and dont have anymore room for it, its currently at my parents place, shame to see her go but hope she goes to a good home!

exactly the same reason why mine is for sale. mine sits in the street, too low to get into the driveway and even if i could it'd be exposed just as much as in the street. it sucks.