SAU Community

R33 Gtr Build

looking good man that's my motor at dahtone haha the covers were done buy craved coatings in Penrith 0404760314

oh! love your build mate and your covers :) cheers for the heads up.

I used that same vht satin black engine block paint, I didn't put the block in an ovan to cure it, running the engine will do that for you :)

Is the new engine a stock internal engine, anyway of pulling that slug out to check the rings aren't damaged? Check bearings too while its out?

do you happen to have any pics to show how that turned out?

it's a stock internal engine. don't really want to pull them out if i don't have to. it's turning smoothly by hand, each bore still has relatively fresh hone marks and i'll comp test it before starting it up as a double check.

i suppose the comp test will tell if it was damaged or not.

i'll put a restrictor on it while the head's off and see what I can do sump wise (money) to make the car more reliable on the track.

are you thinking the plug may have found it's way below the piston?

Good work!

Will be keen to see how your project unfolds!

I was there the day she blew up at Sandown so keen to see you back on the track with this car!

It was a sad sad day from the pictures I saw and the stories that were told.

Glad the previous owner has moved on to bigger and better things :)

Definitely keen for some Spring/Summer Sandown action.

Will certainly be ready for some track time by then, looking at an oil cooler kit from profab.

Hope this will help ramp the -9's up nice and early!

20130527_234331_zpsac0d94f7.jpg

Going to make an opening at the back of the ashtray as it's currently too long to shut the lid.

20130527_234521_zps447298ff.jpg

Painting the engine block, as I now have the engine, I will be giving it a clean and fresh coat of paint prior to installing.

Has anybody used VHT engine enamel with good experience? I will be painting the block black as it is currently blue. The website mentions that for proper curing, the part needs to be put in an oven for 20min @ 90ish deg.

Was wondering if I will be able to get away with a good long lasting finish if I were to skip this step.

The finish I am aiming for is that typically found on the engines that Mine's build. Once again, pictures borrowed from Aki.

31182_original.jpg

30845_original.jpg

And a pic from a different engine

0371.jpg

What are people's thoughts? Is that just a standard engine enamel satin black? Or is that more of a wrinkle black? Wrinkle black only takes 177deg and the engine enamel apparently takes 288deg.

I'm certain that the paint of choice for all the covers will be VHT wrinkle black, however I have heard so many mixed opinions on how to achieve the best wrinkle finish.

Would it be a matter of spraying 3 or 4 thick almost runny coats with 5min hairdrying time in between?

Am desperately wanting this finish - image from Dahtone Racing fb page

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/774826_567775449916495_274031354_o.jpg

Image was pretty huge so just clicky clicky.

First of all "SUBSCRIBED" :woot: Your car is gorgeous mate and like the type of mods your doing to her.

VHT paint is great quality IF you follow the instructions and NEVER, NEVER, TRY TO CUT CORNERS especially with painting.

Looking at your engine block, that paint looks rather frail to me. Try and see if you can remove it with some paint stripper.

If that does not work get some VHT HI-TEMP PAINT like this one but in black and spray your engine block (make sure you give the block a good clean first and use some prep wash)

IMG_1358_zps9e62f69e.jpg

After you have applied the paint, get hold of a heat gun and set it to 200deg C and partly cure the paint (big job but beats putting the block into your oven :D )

I would not worry too much about the paint not curing properly as once your engine is finished and running the heat of the engine will naturally cure the paint correctly.

With regards to engine covers - VHT wrinkle plus (black) is the way to go. Once again just follow the instructions and use a heat gun to get that wrinkle finish.

All the best and I want to see more progress very soon.

Ant

Edited by Ants

You don't know about the piece of spark plug if it did damage the top ring at all, was just an idea as its so much easier to check now rather then put everything together then do a comp test

So when's the engine going in?

Car looks very very clean mate good luck with it all !

First of all "SUBSCRIBED" :woot: Your car is gorgeous mate and like the type of mods your doing to her.

VHT paint is great quality IF you follow the instructions and NEVER, NEVER, TRY TO CUT CORNERS especially with painting.

Looking at your engine block, that paint looks rather frail to me. Try and see if you can remove it with some paint stripper.

If that does not work get some VHT HI-TEMP PAINT like this one but in black and spray your engine block (make sure you give the block a good clean first and use some prep wash)

After you have applied the paint, get hold of a heat gun and set it to 200deg C and partly cure the paint (big job but beats putting the block into your oven :D )

I would not worry too much about the paint not curing properly as once your engine is finished and running the heat of the engine will naturally cure the paint correctly.

With regards to engine covers - VHT wrinkle plus (black) is the way to go. Once again just follow the instructions and use a heat gun to get that wrinkle finish.

All the best and I want to see more progress very soon.

Ant

Thanks for the kind words and the tips on using VHT :)

Btw, we are getting soooo ripped off here, VHT in America seems to be all under $10 a can. Cheapest I could find locally is $25 a can from a mob in NSW by the name of engine master on ebay.

You don't know about the piece of spark plug if it did damage the top ring at all, was just an idea as its so much easier to check now rather then put everything together then do a comp test

So when's the engine going in?

Car looks very very clean mate good luck with it all !

Yeah, that is very true. I just prefer not to disassemble too many things if I can help it. Will do a comp test with the engine out. Will make two brackets to bolt the starter on and connect it to a battery.

If it's good, I won't have to rely on myself (or my torque wrench) to torque everything up correctly. If no good, we'll go from there.

Only doing little bits and bobs now as exams are quickly approaching.

Have 3 weeks off in July to work on it flat out, so all the action will happen then!

Also I got ages pics of my block painted on my home computer I can add them here in the next few days :)

:cheers: dude, that would be awesome!

I used VHT Engine Enamel on my block but used Ford grey instead of black, seems to have left a pretty tough durable finish, haven't heated it to cure yet but even so it's taken a few bumps during assembly and hasn't even touched the paint so should be pretty good.

so bit of an update:

ordered a gates timing belt and water pump this morning so should have it by tomorrow.

The black bottle is Matic D, hoping this pic might be useful for people who need part numbers:

20130528_010240_zps79b9f249.jpg

20130528_010425_zps9ff7f105.jpg

Had some free time today so decided to freshen a few things up and make an attempt at spraying some stuff to practice for the block and engine covers.

Before

20130603_124058_zpsd604a772.jpg

After

20130603_130527_zpsc0b31ad5.jpg

Before

20130603_131607_zpsf3bdac68.jpg

After

20130603_132518_zps8b6f4ae4.jpg

20130603_151231_zps0c902605.jpg

20130603_144201_zps6aee7461.jpg

20130603_161627_zps5cc6e0fb.jpg

Will see how much wrinkle I can get tomorrow!

20130603_172414_zpsacdc4e8e.jpg

Read both pages, looking awesome mate. Interior looks real clean. Nice find.

How much did this set you back?

Thanks dude, let's just say I got it for a very good price :)

Update:

Water pump and timing belt have come in, I fear I may not be able to hold myself back and finish the engine off before exams!

20130605_110348_zpsf9a4e887.jpg

My very poor attempt at wrinkle finish on the coil pack cover. Thankfully I have a spare one so it seems like I'll be holding off on re-doing the covers until the weather gets warmer.

You can see here that there's a fair bit of over run. I suppose my definition of "thick coats" and the can's directions to apply thick coats may differ. Went to town on it with the hair dyer as well.

20130604_123645_zpsd67b2e02.jpg

Update:

Water pump and timing belt have come in, I fear I may not be able to hold myself back and finish the engine off before exams!

20130605_110348_zpsf9a4e887.jpg

My very poor attempt at wrinkle finish on the coil pack cover. Thankfully I have a spare one so it seems like I'll be holding off on re-doing the covers until the weather gets warmer.

You can see here that there's a fair bit of over run. I suppose my definition of "thick coats" and the can's directions to apply thick coats may differ. Went to town on it with the hair dyer as well.

20130604_123645_zpsd67b2e02.jpg

are you using a heat Gun to get the wrinkle effect? because if you do results should be something like this

IMG_1422_zpsaf4e9e85.jpg

IMG_1419_zpsc1f368b8.jpg

Just dont rush the engine ;) Its one of those things that takes time to do properly! Looks like you have most bases covered so far tho :yes:

Yeah, definitely, doing everything by the books, so it should all pay off in reliability in the end :)

are you using a heat Gun to get the wrinkle effect? because if you do results should be something like this

Just a hairdryer Ants, will probably need to borrow one when I get to doing them next.

Having done the coil pack cover first (like an idiot, should have done lower timing cover first for practice), I have a better idea of how thick of a coat it needs.

Edited by RB2600