SAU Community

Nsw - Pplate Turbo Restrictions

Jjonezy

Hey guys, I'm a p plater from Tas.

I own a 300zx twin turbo, my state has no restrictions regarding turbo cars.

I'm moving to nsw but I wanna keep my car and bring it up. If I keep tas plate and tas licence until I'm off my p's, are there any legalities I should be aware of? I can understand the cops will probably pull me over either way, being a p plater and driving my car (cop magnet) I'd just like to know if there's any grounds for them to fine me or if its illegal for me to drive my car up there?

Cheers, JJ.

I'm not permitted to recommend doing anything illegal; and I believe that if you're living in NSW after moving from interstate, you have a time limit (possibly a month) to re-register your car with NSW plates.

But if we're talking semantics, I think that if you were pulled over by the police 4 times for 4 checks, you'd probably get a warning 4 times.

Welcome to SAU.NSW :)

Hey guys, I'm a p plater from Tas.

I own a 300zx twin turbo, my state has no restrictions regarding turbo cars.

I'm moving to nsw but I wanna keep my car and bring it up. If I keep tas plate and tas licence until I'm off my p's, are there any legalities I should be aware of? I can understand the cops will probably pull me over either way, being a p plater and driving my car (cop magnet) I'd just like to know if there's any grounds for them to fine me or if its illegal for me to drive my car up there?

Cheers, JJ.

You never moved to NSW, you are in NSW visiting friends.

I know people from VIC who have driven around in NSW for years without changing their license or rego. Hell they even got their rego stickers sent to their NSW residence.

Also with TAS plates they will leave you alone unless you do really stupid shit.

I was once told by a college that cops tried to defect him for something that was legal in another state and as the cops were about to hand out the notice, he objected on the grounds that he had QLD plates and nothing happened.

You only have to adhere to the license restrictions that apply to your license in the state it was issued. i.e. if you can drive a turbo car in TAS on a TAS license, you can drive a turbo car in NSW on a TAS license. You can even have the car rego'd in NSW and it will be legal.

everyone here seems pretty sure so im a bit unsure now.

but as far as i know, im almost certain that p-platers in the ACT can drive turbo. however, once they enter into NSW they have to abide by NSW laws due to the jurisdiction. Similar to the fact that gay marriage may be accepted in a certain country but wont be recognised in a country that doesn't have the law.

So im gonna have to disagree with what is being said here, if the cop really wants to im pretty sure that they can fine you in NSW for not abiding by their P plater rules.

someone correct me if im wrong though.

• Like 1

everyone here seems pretty sure so im a bit unsure now.

but as far as i know, im almost certain that p-platers in the ACT can drive turbo. however, once they enter into NSW they have to abide by NSW laws due to the jurisdiction. Similar to the fact that gay marriage may be accepted in a certain country but wont be recognised in a country that doesn't have the law.

So im gonna have to disagree with what is being said here, if the cop really wants to im pretty sure that they can fine you in NSW for not abiding by their P plater rules.

someone correct me if im wrong though.

I live in ACT. This is wrong. What Wedge has said above is correct. I was driving turbo on my p's including trips in sydney and had no issues at all Edited by dontyellpl0x

I was once told by a college that cops tried to defect him for something that was legal in another state and as the cops were about to hand out the notice, he objected on the grounds that he had QLD plates and nothing happened.

secondary schools tell you this??

/giggle

secondary schools tell you this??

/giggle

Nah the guy was old enough and mature enough for me to believe him. I wouldn't try it though haha

BOT - why risk it?

2 reason

1. NSW roads aren't good for a 4x4 let along a sports car

2. NSW cops are f**ked and will do what ever they can to screw you over - the problem is, they can screw you even if you're not wrong. Then its up to you to clear your name

I'd leave the car in tas and buy a leaf. they can go 10% slower than the speed limit which is the current 'cool thing to do' in Sydney.

legally, you are expected to abide by the ban list. But I see plenty of P plates in banned cars in Sydney.

if you keep tas license and rego, you shouldnt have any problems.

if you came here on vacation, are you expected to buy another car solely for that purpose?

no.

so long as you adhere to your states licence provisions, you should be fine.

I'm not permitted to recommend doing anything illegal; and I believe that if you're living in NSW after moving from interstate, you have a time limit (possibly a month) to re-register your car with NSW plates.

But if we're talking semantics, I think that if you were pulled over by the police 4 times for 4 checks, you'd probably get a warning 4 times.

Welcome to SAU.NSW :)

Thanks.

You never moved to NSW, you are in NSW visiting friends.

Sound advice there. :)

if you keep tas license and rego, you shouldnt have any problems.

if you came here on vacation, are you expected to buy another car solely for that purpose?

no.

so long as you adhere to your states licence provisions, you should be fine.

Yeah makes perfect sense.

I'm joining the RAAF in July and my training is in nsw for 21 months approximately, not moving permanently at this stage.

Uh - I have a W.A licence and had my licence suspended for three months thanks to my first skyline, being turbo in NSW, and even though I objected being that I had a W.A licence, I still got the suspension, fine, then he proceeded to defect me because I was being "uncooperative"

So I dunno how it works.
But there are ways around it I'd assume.

But I got butt rumped hard.

If your home address is in TAS, and you are required to move to NSW part time for Army, Navy or Air force, you essentially have an exemption right there mate.

Your job required you live on site.
You don't need to change your plates or licence being you don't formally live in NSW.
That is if you are on base or in Defence Housing.

Edited by RBMunkie

Uh - I have a W.A licence and had my licence suspended for three months thanks to my first skyline, being turbo in NSW, and even though I objected being that I had a W.A licence, I still got the suspension, fine, then he proceeded to defect me because I was being "uncooperative"

So I dunno how it works.

But there are ways around it I'd assume.

But I got butt rumped hard.

If your home address is in TAS, and you are required to move to NSW part time for Army, Navy or Air force, you essentially have an exemption right there mate.

Your job required you live on site.

You don't need to change your plates or licence being you don't formally live in NSW.

That is if you are on base or in Defence Housing.

its quite easy for you to get out of your above suspension. The restrictions are placed on a specific license the same as a things like requiring glasses are.

Your license had no turbo restriction on it.

Sounds like you may have not communicated with the police officer in a nice enough manner/were doing something else apart from "just driving".

Thanks.

Sound advice there. :)

Yeah makes perfect sense.

I'm joining the RAAF in July and my training is in nsw for 21 months approximately, not moving permanently at this stage.

I think there are actually different rules for military personnel when it comes to moving and re registering their cars etc (in that you don't have to change every time you're posted) so double check that one but I think leaving it set to your home state would be ok.

Yea okay, that makes sense Kat.

Il follow it up with my case manager though to make sure.

I'm staying with my dad for a few weeks before I enlist, he lives in nords wharf on Lake Macquarie, bout half hour depending on traffic out of Newcastle. I wouldn't mind coming out to a meet or two if there's anything going on up this way??

Our Execs up there are DVS_JEZ and 34GeeTeeTee.

And there's a very active NEWCASTLE thread with friendly folk.

Also check out NSW > Events

And when you can, join up!